SU-22 vs. SU-22ca

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by stefanosg, Nov 16, 2008.

1. stefanosg

stefanosg New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I am currently on the hunt for an SU-22. My question is, is there a difference between an SU-22 and an SU-22CA. I think its just in the way people are advertising them, but I just want to make sure the CA is not some stripped down California legal model.

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    KT only lists SU-22CA - http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su22.htm - and the CA designation originates with the SU-16 series. Check out the page for the SU-16CA, it says:

"The receiver, 16 inch barrel with 1/2-28 threads, bolt carrier, dust cover, sights, and case deflecting operating handle of the C model are combined with the stock of the A model."

So, CA means C + A, not California. :)

3. stefanosg

stefanosg New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I kinda suspected as much, but I wanted to make sure. I found an earlier posting where Liberty4ever got his CA and converted it to a C. They are getting hard to find. What really irritates me is I live 10 miles from the factory and still can't find one. ;D

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Check with B&H Gun Rack in Merritt Island. They usually stock a lot of Kel-tecs.

5. beegeezy2

beegeezy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    L4E converted his su22ca to a charlie stock using a su16c stock. there isnt a factory su22c option because the charlie stock wont fold over the 22 mags.

6. stefanosg

stefanosg New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    B & H is tapped out :( . I was thinking of doing some sort of AR type stock on it. Magpul has a real nice one, but I can't see puttng a $200 stock on a $350 gun. Has anyone tried any of the sidefolders out there?

7. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I think the Charlie stock works better on my SU-22 than it did on my SU-16. Not that the .223 kicks much, but somehow the Charlie stock seemed to have not enough torsional rigidity on the SU-16 for my liking (although I love the underfolding design), but the Charie stock is much more acceptable on a light weight survival .22 rifle. That's mostly my preferences and as such, very subjective. YMMV.

The Echo stock (AR pistol grip) would be great on the SU-22.

I think when Kel-Tec releases the side folding stock, it should be very good on either SU as well.

Still on my SU-22 To Do list:

1) Smaller and lighter scope
    2) Use see-through rings and reinstall the rear sight
    3) Matte black Ceramacoat on the barrel and gas tube
    4) Pull ring on a stainless assembly pin
    5) Custom waterproof padded carrying bag
    6) Waterproof wide mouth polycarbonate ammo jar
    7) Two inch butt stock extension
    8) Bi-pod?
    9) Bench rest ammo test to determine best accuracy
    10) Bayonet (just kidding)

I took a couple of newbies shooting on Sunday. It was cold and cloudy, but we had a great time. They learned on the SU-22 and then shot the SU-16 at the end. That SU-22 just keeps getting better. Opening the lower edge of the ejection port drastically improved performance, which now seems to be 100% with decent ammo. the new SU-22s should have the opened port from the factory. With cheap bulk pack Federal ammo, it shoots about 2 MOA, and it'll probably shoot a bit better when I put it on a solid bench rest.