SU-22 vs GSG-5

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Stompy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    I have been looking at the SU-22 to add to my collection of 22's. So far I have a GSG-5, and 2 Ruger 10/22s. I have shot the Colt/Umarex M4 22lr and I didnt like it at all. The GSG-5 is awsome, and when I take it to the range I always get the "is that thing full auto" or "Is that a real can" comments. The main draw for me in the SU-22 is that I already have and SU-16, the black dog magazines and the E stock options. Any other advantages?

2. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I would say the impecable warrenty of a Kel Tec. I'm about ready to turn in my GSG-5 and am considering the SU-22 as well. The GSG came back from the range today with a cracked bolt casing so the warrenty issue is of some importance to me. Anything else I'm missing?

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The GSG is cool looking and fun.

The 10/22 is inexpensive (usually, few companies beat Kel-Tec on cost) and very flexible and can be accessorized and modified to the extreme, but those mods come at a cost. I have a friend who had a very nice 10/22 with upgraded sights, a match trigger, and a stainless bull barrel. No scope, and he had $800 in it. He sold it and couldn't get his money back of course.

The SU-22 is very nice right out of the box, because of the high end SU-16 parts, and Kel-Tec offers a couple of stock options if you want to mod it. Hopefully, they'll offer the Charlie underfolder and the AR-style pistol grip collapsible stocks as factory options instead of making us buy the alpha stock with the rifle and then buy the charlie or AR stocks to upgrade.

I can say that I've already gotten my money's worth out of my SU-22C, and it's been my favorite gun to shoot the last 22 months. Everyone else likes it too. Tons of fun! It's a keeper!

4. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    I have a Tapco stock on one of my 10/22s and the other stainless 10/22 is all stock. My GSG5 has a metal railed forend with the collapsible stock. If I were to get an SU22 I would put the E stock on it before I would even shoot it. So you are right, Kel Tec needs to comeout with a version that already has the E stock on it. I also would get a red lion trigger for it too.

5. videodon

videodon New Member

Jun 19, 2010
    I haven't tried the GSG-5.
    I have a Colt M4 .22 and it's a great shooter for me
    but I like my SU-22 is even better somehow.
    I don't mind the original stock at all
    and I'm excited about putting a can on it.
    (hopefully in the next 2 weeks)
    :)
    I've owned 5 KelTecs with a PMR-30 on order.
    Kel-Tec rocks!

- videodon -

6. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    A can would be great on an SU-22. I have seen select fire GSG-5s with cans on them. Any one seen a select fire SU-22 with a can?

The PMR 30 looks great too.

7. videodon

videodon New Member

Jun 19, 2010
    ...a select fire SU-22...that'd be special!
    I was going to try the bump fire trick though!
    :)

8. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    I have tried to bump fire several weapons but it dosent work as well for me. I have a friend that can bump fire any weapon like crazy.

9. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I know a place where one could try the GSG-5/Kel Tec SU-22/Colt M4-AR 22/S&W M&P 15-22/ DPMS -Cinner-with dedicated 22 barrel/ and maybe a few others. All just for the asking  ;) ;

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1252377613/0

10. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'd say there will probably be three or more different configurations of SU-22 there to try, with various optics, butt stocks, and maybe even a suppressor.

11. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    Nice! That looks like alot of fun. I wish I could make it but Im too busy with work right now. I guess Ill just have to wait until one of my friends picks one up to try out the SU22. Thanks for all the great info.

12. What I would be most interested in comparing is the weight and feel of the trigger pull between the various 22 rifles.

13. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I just measured the trigger pull on my SU-22 (after many thousands of rounds) at 7 pounds, 0.5 ounces (average of ten trigger pulls). On the plus side, the pull force is fairly consistent, between 6 pounds 14 ounces and 7 pounds 3 ounces.

The relatively heavy trigger pull is my biggest complaint about the SU-22. It uses the same trigger group as the SU-16 and PLR-16, even though .22 LR rimfire ammo requires much less force delivered by the firing pin to reliably operate.

A good gunsmith can lighten the trigger pull to 4 to 4.5 pounds and still maintain reliability (for the SU-16 or SU-22). I wanted to send my SU-22, SU-16 and PLR-16 to Bill Springfield for trigger jobs. I've mostly held off doing that because I thought I'd like to learn how to do it myself... as if I have time for more gun projects. ::)

I like a short and light trigger on a rifle.

14. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The last couple of days I have been considering doing the trigger too. I assume it's the same as depicted in the SU-16 threads?

15. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Everything from the hammer back and down (the trigger group) is the same on the PLR-16, PLR-22, SU-16 and SU-22. The firing pin forward is different for the .22 LR variants, as compared to the original .223 versions.

Maybe if I get the PLR-22 to add to the PLR-16, SU-22 and SU-16, I'll decide that four of them is worth figuring out the trigger job and I'll follow the instructions from the SU-16 FAQ.

I bet the first time it'd take some fiddling and trial and error to sneak up on it, but the last two would probably go fairly smoothly. :)

16. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    I sent in my SU16 trigger to Bill Springfield and he did an outstanding job and got the trigger down to around a perfect 4-4.5 pounds with a very clean break. If I were to get an SU22 I would send the lower to Bill before taking it out to the range. I just might end up sending in the GSG-5 too.

17. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    how can you modify the internals to be anything other than what it is? i have modified to put the select fire "look" (NOT PARTS) in, because they do not fit....

18. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    OR, simply use the tuned SU trigger group on whichever rifle you are shooting... ;)

19. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    OR, simply use the tuned SU trigger group on whichever rifle you are shooting... ;)[/quote]

Unless I want to shoot both at the same time :D

This would be fine if I was shooting by my self, however when I go to the range I usually have at least 2-3 other people with me. So I could be shooting the SU16 and if my brother in law wants to shoot the SU22 I will have to say "Hold on Im not done with the lower yet". I will just have to get both lowers tuned (and another red lion trigger too) for my needs.

20. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    how can you modify the internals to be anything other than what it is?  i have modified to put the select fire "look" (NOT PARTS) in, because they do not fit....

[/quote]
    You are right that there is no room for an MP5 selectfire group in the GSG but at the range I did see a GSG that was full auto, maybe it was some kind of sear mod? I dont know how the guy did it but he had a some way that let him go from semi to full on his GSG or maybe he was just easy on the trigger for it to be semi. He was NOT bumpfiring and he did NOT have 3 round burst on it. I dont know if it was legal or if it was something that he just did in his garage. I didnt really feel like asking any questions about it.

I have seen some really crazy things before at this range, like a guy shooting 12 guage shells out of a steel pipe using a hammer to hit a pin that was screwed on to the back end! Also a nickle plated .38 super that was transfomed into an SBR with an extended stock and foregrip. I try to go to this place early enough in the morning to avoid the "crazy" crowd but you never know what you will end up seeing