SU-22 Range Report

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by wmailhos, Mar 15, 2009.

1. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    What a disappointment today with my SU-22....

1.  I didn't clean the gun before I shot it.  I know... I know.....
    2.  First couple of magazines ran extremely smooth and I was thinking what are all those people bitching about?
    3.  I was shooting Federal value pack from Wal-Mart.
    4.  Sights are TERRIBLE.  My front sight is not noticeably out of whack but they sure are screwed up.  I was shooting high and right the first couple of mags.
    5.  I forgot my spotting scope so I couldn't tell what was happening until I checked the targets.
    6.  I was shooting at 25 yards.
    7.  Didn't even hit the homemade 8 1/2 x 11 target with 20 rounds.
    8.  It wasn't me because I also took a brand new out of the box (not cleaned) Mossberg Plinkster and was knocking out the bullseye at the same distance.
    9.  I was extremely disappointed with the sights out of the box.
    10.  Had my girlfriend with me so I didn't have the time/inclination to do a lot of tinkering.  She was having so much fun with the Mossberg I was having fun getting her into it....

I'll have to monkey with the sights a bit and take it back to the range this week when I have time to adjust them.  I didn't even take any tools with me to the range to adjust them.  I've NEVER had a gun with sights that bad out of the box.  My $100 Mossberg Plinkster shot GREAT but the SU was terrible.  I assumed the sights would be at least ADEQUATE out of the box to hit a notebook size target at 25 yards but boy was I wrong....  I like the gun and I'm sure it will be OK with some adjustments but I'm used to out of the box shooting.....

Almost the same story with my PLR-22.  Both guns ran OK from a function standpoint but accuracy was just awful....  I did have several FTEs and FTFs but blame that on the cheap Federal ammo.  Plinkster had the same problem.  I don't really expect perfection out of a 22 shooting cheap ammo but the sight problem was a real let down for me....

2. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I'll piggy back on this. I jsut shot mine for the first time. Can't speak to the sites accuracy, put a 3x9 on it, and am quite happy with my groups. I ran 500 rounds of the dirty winchester xtreme wally world stuff. Will give it a big cleanign ASAP.
    Many malfunctions, but it got better as the day went on. The most common was a failure to reset the firing mechanism even when a new round was chambered, ie dead trigger, new, live round chambered. The other was that spent casings got stuck in a little wedge space above and in front of the breech. The omnipresent multi-tool made it easy to fix, but opening or closing the space would avoid the issue.
    Overall, cheap way to practice, very happy. would love to put an eotech and magnifier on it, but will have to spend less on a knock-of system. suggestions?

3. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Hey wmailhos,

I was wondering about the sight thing too. Its seems there is no quality control in place, when testing the sights. That's if they are really tested to begin with. The RFB project is just now coming together, so the pressure should drop some in production. KEL-Tec has been up-ping their game. Add in the political environment and you have a small company up to their rear in alligators ;).  Bitter sweet  :p.  

My SU-22 arrived good to go out of the box. I broke it down for inspection and then reassembled.  It shot high to the left my first time out. I notice that the rear sight was two notches forward from the very end. I reseated it to the very end and offset it left of center some. This worked for me. It was now POA/POI . Well, I should add that's if the 22 bullets agree ::) . Right now I use Winchester 333 box and Aguila Super Maximum Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 30 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose. Aguila has proved or should I say this batch from Aguila has proven to be more consistent from round to round. Cheap ammo is one thing, but if the load is not consistent why make. It certainly takes the fun out of shooting for me. Sight her in. You'll be fine.

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Uhh, you need to sight the weapon before it will be accurate.

I just don't see being mad about the weapon not shooting to point of aim when you haven't sighted it in yet. Adjust the sights, and then see how well it shoots. I think you'll be pleased.

It sounds like your SU-22 is almost broken in. Mine had some reliability issues until after breaking it in, and now it's quite reliable. 500 rounds of dirty .22 LR ammo is a lot. You may find after a good cleaning that it is now broken in, and maybe it was breaking in at the same time that it was getting dirty.

The failure to reset the trigger even though a new round is chambered is probably a symptom of too much friction. It sounds like the bolt may not be traveling all the way back to touch the buffer. Cleaning and a good lubrication should fix that problem. It has a blow back operation, and they tend to run dirty.

I had the spent brass jamming above the chamber and I wondered about filling in the area and was told by the Kel-Tec engineer that doing that would just cause jams, and the solution was to open up the lower edge of the ejection port to prevent the ejected cases from hitting this surface and being knocked back into the receiver. I used a little sandpaper to remove some material and it worked great. That problem is almost completely gone. I bought one of the first hundred SU-22 rifles. Later rifles should already have the opened up ejection port. There are pictures elsewhere on the SU-22 forum showing the modified ejection port.

5. shep854

shep854 Active Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    The SU/PLR-22 sight problem seems to be common; after trying to sight mine in at 5 yd, I called Kel-Tec and requested a call tag for return.* This is a QC problem and is covered by the warranty.  I then sent it to the factory; when it came back, the sights were much better; I sighted in at 25 yd.

*Call them right away and get it back for best service.

6. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    My point L4E was that I've never had a gun with worse sights out of the box.  I pulled the $100 Mossberg Plinkster out of the box and was putting everything in the black with that gun.

I'm not a COMPLETE moron.  :)   I understand that the sights need to be adjusted before the gun will be accurate.  My point (once again and maybe I didn't make this clear enough) was that the sights are TERRIBLE out of the box and I'll stand by that statement.  I like Kel-Tecs and I am not trying to trash them.  I've got one of everything except the PF-9 and RFB so I am a Kel-Tec fan but I'm used to being able to pull a gun out of the box and get DECENT accuracy.

I'll adjust the sights and report back later....

7. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Thanks bud. I'll do just that. Hope they'll send me a call tag. I'm a HUGE Kel-Tec fan (got quite a few of them) and want to be able to recommend them without reservation but the sight issue on these things is crazy. Like I said I pulled my $100 Mossberg Plinkster out of the box (and you can't say they are going to have great QC at that price point) and was putting everything in the black with the little gun....

8. shep854

shep854 Active Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    The problem seems to be with the front sight; there have been posts here where the sight was visibly misaligned with the barrel. I'm like you; I have an SU16 that is simply awesome, and I sure don't want to see Kel-Tec get a black eye.

If you haven't read the relevant posts, the SU22 seems to HATE cheap .22 ammo, such as Remington Thunderbolts, that have loosely-crimped bullets. Be sure to try different brands to find what your rifle likes best. Like L4E, my rifle had some break-in issues, but she runs like a top now!

9. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    That's what I found so surprising. After reading all the problems about the front sights I checked them on both my SU and PLR. Neither one of them was visibly out of whack but there sure was something wrong. I'd blame it on my poor shooting but that cheap little Mossberg let me knock the black out of my target so I'm not THAT bad....

I've done all the reading and I acquired a nice little stash of the Federal bulk packs (which it has been reported both the KTs like) so I didn't have that much of a problem from a strict functioning standpoint. I think they will both smooth out with a few more rounds down the tube....

10. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    For what it's worth, my 9mm SUB-2000 was just about dead on out of the box. I came to the range ready to sight it in, but it was already sighted in for the 25 yard shooting I do the most with that little carbine. My .40 SUB-2000 was bought very lightly used, and was also dead on, but I assume that sighting was done by the original owner. I never even tried the sights on my PLR-16, SU-16 or SU-22. I took off the rear sights and installed scopes and an EOTech, so I don't know if they were sighted from the factory or not. It never was a concern for me. I assume I'll need to sight a weapon, and if I don't, it's a pleasant surprise.

For my money, Kel-Tec is on the hook to replace the front sight block if it was installed crooked, but sighting the weapon is my job.

I also assume I'll need to clean any weapon I buy before shooting it, mostly to familiarize myself with the operation, but also to remove any protective grease or heavy oil that might have been used for shipping and storage, and replace it with a fresh coat of light gun oil, and exercise all the parts to make sure everything is working correctly.

11. kristkustoms

kristkustoms New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Haha, my sights were way off when I got my SU-22. I spent about an hour at the range and got them sighted in pretty good...good enough for what I am doing with the gun anyway. I didn't really expect them to be that great from the get-go though. When I buy a gun, the first thing I do is give it a good cleaning, and head to the range with some tools to sight it in, along with a variety of ammo.

My SU-22 has it's fair share of issues. It's currently at the Kel-Tec service department for some repairs. My rifle has the feeding disease, and has it BAD! I have tried literally every brand of ammo I could find locally at Wal-Mart and Gander Mountain. The only one I could get to regularly cycle was the blue box of the Federal stuff. And it was still a rare occasion that I would finish a full magazine without at least one failure-to-feed. I shot probably 1500-2000 rounds through it, and it didn't get any better after "breaking in." It would also occasionally jam up when ejecting too. No big deal, I sent it back it so the Kel-Tec guys could whip it into shape!