SU-22 Fails to feed fire and eject

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Mr_G, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    First time shooting I had lots of failures to feed ,eject and fire. Also had many rounds stuck in chamber wich were VERY difficut to remove.

Ammo used was Federal American Eagle and Blazzer(the type with the wax) & Blackdog 10round mag.I used these ammo brands because they seemed, from other posts, to be the most reliable.
    I tried the Federal A\E . First 3 bent ,4th fired after pushing bolt forward,5th didn't fire until cycled bolt again.... After struggling with initial magazine I loaded the Blazzers and had same results. Went thru about 150 difficult rounds. At the end of the day I had 20 or more rounds that were bent or unfired.

S/N V0Exx made in Oct 2009.

I asked for KT's help they replied and told me to send gun back to factory for repair.
    Is there anything I can do or try before I send it?

Before I bought gun I spent a bunch of time on KTOG researching. I saw from other users that gun needs to be fired few hundred rounds before it functions more consistently.

This is my first post................

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    WELCOME TO KTOG, Mr_G!

Sounds like a feeding problem.

When you push down on the top round of a full or nearly full magazine, does the round pop up quickly, or does it rise slowly? If it's slow, the mag may be dirty or have some flash that needs to be trimmed on the inside. Jamming on the initial round when you pull back and pause before releasing the operating handle suggests that it's not the mag.

How does the feed ramp look? It's hard to believe it'd ship in a condition that is bad enough to cause the problems you report.

The other thing you might want to check is the bolt. It's made of two parts. If the two cap screws back out a little, the bolt halves can be misaligned.

When you're inspecting the bolt (out of the firearm), check and make sure the firing pin is not hanging out of the bolt face. If the firing pin is broken, it can hang out the front and the back of the bolt, and the firing pin hanging out the bolt face can cause jams.

Also, check to make sure the extractor pivots properly, and a round of .22 LR ammo will stick on the bolt face and be held there by the extractor.

Good luck!

If not, there's always Kel-Tec warranty repair!

3. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Thank you Liberty,

Mag seems OK as rounds pop up w/o any resistance and I did pause a moment before handle release.

Feed ramp seems steeper than other guns I have seen. It does look clean and smooth.

Bolt and firing pin secure/intact as well. Extractor hook moves freely. I will check to see that a round sticks on bolt face with bolt removed. I did notice some play between the bolt assembly and the upper spring arm.

I think the problem occurs when the bolt picks up a round from the mag. It seems as if the round is not properly held by the bolt face and falls off before it makes it into the chamber. This may be due to the steep ramp and distance to the chamber??

What are you thoughts on the ammo Amer Eagle and Blazzer. I found some Federal bulk maroon box 550 rounds at Walmart. That is good ammo?? Should I stock up on that?? I think you recommended that at one time....

Thanks again.

4. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It sounds to me like a receiver problem. By chance you have a lemon. the same thing happened to me.

Now, mine'll shoot anything... the federal 550 maroon bulk packs are flawless. My recommendation: Just send it back...

5. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks,

How long did it take to repair and what did K-T do?

6. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Look at the mothership thread...

7. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    That's not right. When the bolt halves are properly torqued, there should be no play between the bolt and the recoil spring assembly. Check that. It should be an easy fix with hopefully no need to return it.

My SU-22C likes the maroon box Federal 550 round bulk pack at Wal*Mart, but 1%-2% of those have no primer. My SU-22C also loves the Blazer with the wax coated solid lead round nose bullets. After shooting three boxes (1500 rounds?) I finally had one failure to fire because of no primer. It's accurate ammo, too.
    [reason]Strike out incorrect information[/reason]

8. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I am glad I mentioned the play between the bolt and arm.

I thought that was normal. The free play may be allowing the bolt "float" around inside the receiver.

I will check into that.

Thanks!

9. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Good idea. I just cleaned mine last light and there is no play in that arm.

10. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    What? No play in yours ! I asked KT if play was normal. They told me it was and just send back becuase there is nothing I can do.....Oh well.

11. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Oops. That advice was worth what you paid for it. :-[

I just checked, and even though I had just recently had my bolt apart to replace a broken firing pin, I could have sworn that the bolt halves mounted securely to the recoil spring guide... they don't. A bit of rattle between these parts is normal. Sorry for the bad info. I knew I should have double checked my failing memory when I posted that.

I'm sure Kel-Tec can fix your SU-22 and have it running perfectly.

Please let us know what they fixed so we can hopefully learn something and do a better job of assisting the next poor schlub.

12. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks to All,

Sending it back.

I will let you know results.

I hope it doesn't take very long.

13. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I went to the range today with a fresh box of 550 Walmart Federals. I shot about 250 rounds and NOT one feed or eject problem. I then loaded 10 rounds of Blazer. First round didn't fully chamber nothing but problems with the rest. Switched back to the Feds and had a great day, tweaked the sights and was accurate at 50 yards.......

14. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    awesome- run a few thousand of the federal thru and then i bet it'll eat anything

15. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    You were sending it back on May 1st and you had it back at the range on May 7th? That sounds like a fast turnaround at Kel-Tec. What did they fix?

The Blazer has a hard wax lube over a cast lead bullet. It's a bit sticker on the feed ramp than copper. You may be able to run 1000 rounds of Federal to polish the feed ramp and then have greater reliability feeding the Blazer (and other ammo) as henktermaat suggested.

16. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    My understanding is that before sending it back, he took it to the range for one last try, and it went well

17. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Odd that it'd like the Federal bulk pack and not the Federal American Eagle. They look similar... copper plated, firm crimp, etc. I have some Federal American Eagle but haven't tried it in my SU-22 yet. I did read that it shoots nickel sized groups at 20 yards from a Beretta NEOS pistol with a red dot scope off sand bags.

18. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    " it will become better with other ammo with more use. some bullet have a different shape than others causing feeding problems"

This was reply from KT when I told them of my success with the Federal value pack.

To clear things up. I didn't send gun back to KT. And I am happy I didn't. It worked great again with the Feds. It also fired the Blazers(not perfectly but much better than before) Also tried CCI minimag, worked ok but not perfect. Overall gun seems to be improving after nearly 1000 rounds.

Going to range tomorrow, Thursday 5/20....will let you know results.