SU-22 Competition?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Navy87Guy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Deos anyone think that KelTec is going to face some stiff competition for the new SU-22 with this rifle: http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?page=gsg_5_22lr_mp5_clone

At around the same price point, it strikes me that the "cool" factor of an MP-5 clone may eclipse the KelTec. Granted, mag capacities and features are a little different, but the MP-5/H&K design is much better known than the KelTec.

There's also the fact that the MP-5 rifles are shipping now (supposedly they are clearing customs now) -- and KelTec doesn't even list the SU or PLR-22's on their website yet.

What do you guys think - is KelTec going to be fighting an uphill battle?

Jim

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Those look like fun but I think the SU-22 will be under $350 (street price).  At $500 for the stock version, those are pretty pricey for a 22 rifle, but I'm sure the MP5 clone will sell. However, I don't think they will put the SU-22 out of business. I mean, look at what you can get a 10/22 for.  BTW, does having to pay for a fake suppressor bother anyone but me?  :D    

3. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    The GSG-5 is competition for the SU-22, but a person who is going to buy the GSG-5 is going to buy it because he wants an MP-5 clone. The SU-22 is more like an AR-15 type rifle. There are a few AR-15's chambered in .22LR which are closer to direct competition. (bushmaster has one but its rather expensive http://www.impactguns.com/store/BMAZC1522LR.html ).

the GSG-5 is also the first firearm made by GSG, which has up until now been an airsoft manufacturer. There also might be some restrictions placed on the GSG-5 since it is an import, and has no american made parts on it (as far as I know).

4. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    +1 ktwm, I agree it isn't marketed as a general plinker. It is marketed as a poor man's MP5.

Still, I'd take one! Although .22LR is about the largest cartridge I'd fire in a gun heretofore known for making airsoft guns. The 10/22 and its variants seem like the more traditional competition for the SU-22, imho. This one is a weird (albeit very cool) specialty piece.

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    +2 to KWTM and Nic.

While it looks COOL AS HECK!!!!!! It's not a "plinker" type rifle. It's for someone who wants an MP-5 but can't afford one.

IF I won the lottery, I'd get one. Since I'm in the market for a .22LR rifle for reliability, long term use, and target practice, the SU-22 is MUCH more practical. And I bet it's much cheaper.

AND it's made by KT. ;D

Oh and TX, you are sooooo right.

If I'm paying for a can, it will be a real one.

With a tax stamp, of course. :cool:

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Those fake suppressors are really big with the Mall Ninja crowd.  But heck, they might be the primary market for these anyway.   ;D

7. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I guess I was basing my thinking off the MSRP thread that says the SU-22CA will be around $440 -- which puts it right into the same level as the GSG-5. If it really does come in around $350, then I think it will definitely cause the "cool factor" of the GSG to take a back seat.

Jim

8. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    For a gun like this, for which aesthetics are a big part of the deal, I can understand the fake suppressor. It beats having to jump through all the hoops for an SBR (stamp tax, waiting, signing your life over to the batfe) and it does look a little less out of place than simply a long barrel extension.

But if it weren't for the SBR restriction, I'd completely concur....fake silencers are really lame!

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, the $499 price given on that link appeared to be the actual selling price for the MP5 clone.  Kel-tecs generally sell for about 70-80% of the MSRP.  For example, the sub2k has an MSPR of $409 but they can be had for $289.  The HC PF9 lists for $390 but we have seen them bought for as little as $260, although most nearer to $300.  So, I would expect the PLR-22 to be available for $330 - $350 in most places, eventually.

10. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    That made my night -- an SU-22 it will be! :D

Jim

11. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I think the HC PF-9 sells a lttle high because the supply is low. There should be no supply issues with the 22's

12. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Yeah -- they just need to get them out on the street!! ;)

Jim

13. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    With the miserable exchange rate of the US dollar with the Euro, and the continual erosion in the dollar, it seems unlikely that a German company will be very competitive importing into the US. Of course, our dollars aren't going as far at home, either, and as the inflation kicks in and the economy goes into the dumper, we will have less to spend on fun toys like the SU-22, no matter where it's made.

The .22LR clone of the MP5 looked nice, but the only stock that looks right to me is the collapsible wire stock.

I think it'll be kinda fun to have a PLR-16 and the PLR-22, and an SU-16 and an SU-22. Hey kids! Collect the whole set!

14. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  15. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Is that for shooting chocolate bunnies?

16. hilljack

hilljack Active Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Gives a whole new meaning to "Eat Lead!"

17. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Now THAT is a gift idea!

18. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Yeah, but how long would they last :cool:

19. RobO

RobO New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    As far as the GSG-5 goes, they are becoming available in the next several days, and my inner mall ninja says I should buy it. But if I use my brain, I think, the SU-22 will have a better warranty, it will be easier to accessorize with optics and such, and it is made in the U.S.A. I'm going to try to hold out for the product whose company I all ready have confidence in.

20. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    gotta support the US Company.