SU-22 accuracy?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by henktermaat, Jul 31, 2010.

1. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I got to go to a 100-yd range finally. The accuracy of my SU-22 wasn't what I was hoping for.

I shot from a bench, with a bipod, thru a 9x scope. at 100 yards, I was shooting a group about 12" (all 25 shots from the magazine). This was with slow, careful shooting. I didn't think I was THAT bad...

Can anyone else weigh in? An I just expecting too much?

2. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    K.I.S.S. - Try several different 22LR ammo for now. When you find what shoots best out of your SU-22 stay with it. I trust that you have shooting experience in general?

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I was shooting clays at 80 yards with a 4X scope on my SU-22C last weekend and not doing as well as I'd like, but not too bad. I was using the cheapest ammo I could find and it could easily be 3 MOA ammo or worse, although I shot 2 MOA with a different box of it at 25 yards almost two years ago. Of course, 2 MOA at 25 yards generally won't equate to 2 MOA at 80+ yards, particularly with .22 LR bullets.

I have 50 types of .22 LR ammo that I've been wanting to test in my SU-22C, for accuracy and muzzle velocity. Maybe terminal ballistics in wet pack, too. I'm hoping that can be a nice day at the range as soon as the weather cools off a bit and I get caught up with my work. I have a place to shoot with concrete benches and I'll put my very nice 14X Sightron scope on there. That should eliminate most of the shooter issues and get down to the rifle and the ammo.

I'd like to get a trigger job. My SU-22C trigger is stiff and not conducive to bench rest accuracy.

I'd agree that it may just be a matter of finding the right .22 LR ammo for your SU-22. There is a great difference in .22 LR ammo, and your SU-22 won't like some of it.

4. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It had to have been the ammo- the 100% reliable but cheap Federal bulk pack from walmart.

5. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I did an ammo test once at 50 yards, but 100 yards really compounds things. I hope to find a real accurate ammo type for Appleseed.

It's the consensus that CCI doesn't work well in these, right?

6. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I was shooting the maroon box Federal bulk pack from Wal*Mart too, but I'd categorize them as 99% reliable, as Federal forgets to put priming compound in 1% of them.

I've heard good and bad on the CCI. Maybe it was different varieties of CCI. The cheap Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack is not good in the SU-22, nor is any other loosely crimped ammo that can bend as it slides up the feed ramp, although after an extensive break-in, the SU-22 seems to be much less ammo sensitive.

7. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    A pic of that range trip, just for fun. I accidentally deleted the target photos.
    [​IMG]

8. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    My best target the only time I was halfway serious about accuracy was with the Federal Champion light blue box bulk pack, not the Federal maroon box bulk pack.

[​IMG]

I must have been on crack when I measured that. I don't have the target anymore, but the size of the holes is probably about .20" (they close up a little after the bullet passes). Using that as a scale, I measured the group at about .76" at 25 yards, which would be a bit over 3 MOA.

I was shooting from the prone position. I'd like to try shooting off a solid bench.

Your other thread had a very tight 20 yard group with Remington 22 Target ammo that was better than the Federal bulk pack ammo, which seemed to open up quite a bit at 50 yards, so the 12" group at 100 yards wasn't too much worse than expected given that progression. Maybe the Federal isn't stabilizing completely? I wonder what the muzzle velocity is. Any chance it's going subsonic at 100 yards? Bullets can do ugly things in the transonic range.

9. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I shoot the CCI Velocitor 40gr.. It shoots fine out of my SU-22. It groups better @ 50yds.(1.5 -2 inches with red dot scope), than the Aguila Interceptor 40gr..  The SU-22 shoots either one of these without any problems.  I stocked up before the madness, but now I am down to shooting the SU-22 every two weeks to conserve ammo until I see a chance to restock. I mainly am just making sure that it stays sighted in 50-100yds.(red dot).

You might try some winchester 333 box or CCI 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose.
    I've shot alot of 333s thru the Beretta U22 Neos carbine. This is one of my range fun guns. It eats everything. I settle on winchester 333/555 boxes after shooting several other rimfire brands.     Testing different ammo in your new gun is one of the fun aspects of going to the range. Happy Shootin  :cool:  

10. Alwaysprepared

Alwaysprepared New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    You might want to make sure your scope is torqued down properly, I have found that the plastic pictanny rail can make the scope move a little. I have gotten much better accuracy from federal packs, around 4in groups for a full magazine.

11. Thanks for posting these results. It is very interesting to see how it is shooting, being new to market and all.

12. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I am going to do some ammo testing soon, I'll post the results.

I also want to to a trigger job. Dare I? Dare I? ;D

13. jbro

jbro New Member

Sep 23, 2012
    My cousin recently acquired a new SU-22 last week. Two days ago using a nikon rimfire scope and a bench he achieved a five shot group of 1" at 75 yards!ammo=cci minimags
    btw-one fte with two magazines of minimags & flawless with 8-10 magazines federal bulk...who knows