SU-16C Stock replacement

Discussion in 'SU-16' started by pelicanpoop, Jan 20, 2018.

1. pelicanpoop

pelicanpoop Active Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Where would I find a stock replacement for my SU-16C? One from a CA would be ideal.
    Thanks, Robert

2. speedmaster

speedmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    IA
    They show up from time to time on ebay. I got my C stock from there since mine was a A model. I have since added the E model pistol grip stock.

3. nimbly

nimbly Active Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Southern Idaho
  4. orichard

orichard Member

Mar 12, 2016
    If you happen not to want your C stock, I'm looking for an inexpensive 2nd hand one. Could subsidize your A stock purchase. Retail prices are way too high.

nimbly likes this.
  5. pelicanpoop

Oct 7, 2004
    Thanks for the replies!

nimbly likes this.
  6. pelicanpoop

Oct 7, 2004
    Orichard, I'll keep you in mind.

7. orichard

orichard Member

Mar 12, 2016
  8. BAT

BAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Greetings, I am new to the forum. I just acquired an SU 16. I am looking for a standard stock. The one that is on the unit I have is the very slender folding stock which us broken. (C?) There is no letter designation on the unit. I think what I am looking for is an (A) stock. If anyone has replaced theirs with an AT style or other & has one laying around that you would part with please message me. I know I can get it from Kel-tec but wow, they want a third of the cost of the gun. Thanks & I look forward to hearing from some or all of you.

9. pelicanpoop

Oct 7, 2004
    orichard, I am willing to get rid of my C stock, only having a A,B, or CA stock as a replacement.
    Let me know if you know of one.
    Thanks, Robert

10. BAT

BAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I have a broken C stock. Looking for the standard A/B stock to replace it.

11. pelicanpoop

Oct 7, 2004
    Sorry , BAT, did not mean to usurp your message, it just reminded me to get back to orichard who I had talked with earlier.

12. orichard

orichard Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I'll keep an eye out Robert. Thanks for the follow-up.

13. BAT

BAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    No problem. All is well friend. I joined tbe forum to learn more about this weapon & try to aquire a few used parts. All I am learning however, is that I probably need to unload (no pun intended ) this gun quickly. It appears that the only parts that are available are directly from Kel-tec. (No Aftermkt) That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't charge a third of what the gun cost for a stock. Not to mention that the C stock is so weak & flimsy it is not safe. Oh well, I will keep looking for a little while. Otherwise the SU16 is a great rifle & almost exactly what I wanted. I dont like ARs ( not against, just not my style) but I don't want to put $1000 that I'll never get back in this either.

14. orichard

orichard Member

Mar 12, 2016
    BAT, did you try contacting Keltec to see if it'd be covered under warranty? Maybe a 50:50 chance they would exchange it for you. You never know, and it probably costs them next to nothing to make. I think you may need proof that you are the original owner and maybe a good story. A call might get more sympathy than an email, not sure.

The reason I might be hopeful is that they are sensitive to incidents where the plastic breaks, as though they are known issues. I get the sense that few people actually need replacements, and they may actually expect to deliver replacements to those who use the gun more rigorously...meaning more cost effective to offer warranty coverage than to redesign it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    BAT likes this.
  15. BAT

BAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I think you are right sir. I am going to give them a call. It can't hurt & maybe they will do something to correct it even if they just prorate the cost of a new solid stock. It is a great little gun otherwise. At the same time maybe I can also encourage them to consider other stock options as well like a solid bullpup type butt stock which I think would be perfect for that gun. Short tactical lightweight & sturdy too. Thanks for the advice & the conversation.

16. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Bat,
    I would encourage you to consider the pistol grip/AR buffer tube option. you have a lot of options with that including a side folder.

BAT likes this.
  17. BAT

BAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    As much as I don't want another AR style rifle. I am quuckly realiz8ng that you are right. It appears that may be the only way I am going to get close to what I do want. I have messaged Keltec & gotten no response as of yet but. I am not in a big hurry so I will wait a bit. I will try calling them too if they don't respond to my message soon. I would like to get their input before I make a move in another direction. However, I understand what you are saying. Just because it is an AR style mount doesn't mean I have to use a traditional AR stock, there are a number of options there. Thanks.

18. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Yes, I like this one from APG
    [​IMG]

19. BAT

BAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I would like you all to know that I spoke to a Keltec rep today. The guy I spoke with was rude, less than helpful, & not even concerned with my product issue. He just said that the products were available on the website. I mentioned the less than durable C stock that I have, my dislike of it & the high cost of replacing it. I also ask for his input on other options that did not include the AR-15 style, even including aftermarket. He said to get an A stock on the website. I attempted to discuss the issue further & he cut me off & said "look I am not lowering the price". Lowering the price was never mentioned by me, don't know where he came up with that. I am very dissappointed with the companies' response & I can assure you this will certainly be the one & only Keltec firearm that I will ever own.

20. orichard

orichard Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Unfortunate. I've never called them. Having dealt with other manufacturers, I find it often depends on who answers the phone. I have in the past pushed on up to a supervisor if I think I have a case, and the supervisor usually has more common sense and may see your logic, especially when you mention that people on the forum suggested calling. There are some manufacturers, though, that nearly always take care of you, and therefore have a great reputation.

IMHO, plastic should not be breaking with normal use. Maybe after 6000 rounds you may need to do maintenance replacements on your own dime, but it should not be breaking with low round counts. Did it break after a drop? If the dog chewed it up, I could see them not covering it alternatively.