Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be asking the wrong people but do you think the SU16 is as good as a comparablely priced AR15
Why or why not?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's really a different animal. The AR-15 is much more robust and able to take more abuse than the SU-16. The SU-16 is much lighter and more compact. It is meant to be a light, inexpensive, easy to store and transport utility rifle, not a battle rifle. I have and like both.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have to choose one or the other, my vote goes to the AR. There's just so much more you can do with it due to its modularity and the abundance of parts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can't afford all the guns that I would like to have. Right now for a battle rifle I have a AK. I bought the SU16 for the AR mags and caliber, plus cost. If all hexx breaks loose or the zombies.. I will get one. If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with tweetr, except I would add "piston driven" to the list of features.
In my view, the SU-16's selling points are: piston driven, low cost, light weight, and available folding stock (C model).

The first three things above are what sold me, especially the piston driven feature.
I've heard many complaints about cleaning direct-impingement AR-15 rifles.
But the SU-16 runs clean. Plus, the dirtiest part (the piston) is easy to access and clean.

Perhaps the weakest part of the SU-16 design, IMHO, is the folding forend.
I did not like the way it put pressure on the barrel and how that affected POI.
However, this shortcoming was easy to remedy. I replaced mine with the Red Lion forend.

Bottom line, like tweetr said: "it's a different animal.".

3dogs

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been shooting ar's for a long time. Sine I purchased my SU16, the AR sits in the safe.
I've outfitted it with the ar stock and compact forend. Handles nice and is lightweight. Only complaint it the stock connector bracket. looks cheap, but works fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I see lots of threads for super lightweight ARs. Pencil thin barrels, lightweight stocks, etc. I built my SU-16CA into an E model that's much lighter than all but a few ARs. I suppose you could put a lightweight barrel AR on a polymer lower and get close. The out of production Carbon-15 was very light but dare to say less robust than an SU-16. My only complaint with mine is the trigger but that's been a problem with all my Kel-Tecs.

My AR is a 20" heavy profile (not bull but heavy) barrel with a fixed stock, very different animal. If you're going light weight, or live in CA go SU-16. For anything else look at an AR.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
My AR is a 20" heavy profile (not bull but heavy) barrel with a fixed stock, very different animal. If you're going light weight, or live in CA go SU-16. For anything else look at an AR.
Mine too, 10lbs + and climbing! But thats my precision rig anyway, not my fun gun. Heck I'm even looking to swap barrels to a 24 inch bull for lonnngggggg range shooting, talk about gonna get heavy! lol

I haven't seen you around in awhile HKC, good to hear from ya! :)

Bam Bam

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the AR a tad better than the SU but up here in Canada, AR's are restricted to range only. My SU has been done up like an AR would and still comes in under 10lbs and I can stick it in the truck and head into the woods legally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts