Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've shot my SU-16. Took her out today and boy I've forgotten how horrible the trigger is.
Does anyone know where I can send it to get it lightened up?? I know I'm getting old and weaker but holy moly, that trigger actually required so much pressure that after 15 rounds my finger hurt.
I'll admit I was really trying to get the best groups possible out of it so I was really concentrating on my trigger squeeze.
I have multiple semi-auto carbines but nothing I own is as bad as this rifle is.
It does live in a hard case in my pick up, could riding around in the truck cause the trigger to get very very hard? I certainly hope not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I said the same thing when I got my SU16, was told by several folks to live with it. I have, I can shoot it but it does take a few rounds to get used to a trigger that bears no resemblance to any of my other gun's triggers. If you find a fix I would sure like to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Best solution I know is a AR trigger group swap by a fellow who makes them for the PLR.
Cant remember the name but its not hard to search for. Not too expensive.
I converted my SU and I have a thread about it.
see

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mcarbo used to have a nice trigger and spring upgrade. Doesn't look like they have one any longer. You can call mcarbo or galloway for advice
Yeah that is one thing i noticed too. Does not seem like there is a whole lot out there for SU-16s. I still try and enjoy it but is one hella different animal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best solution I know is a AR trigger group swap by a fellow who makes them for the PLR.
Cant remember the name but its not hard to search for. Not too expensive.
I converted my SU and I have a thread about it.
see
I checked on that, It seems that the guy made his modified AR lower to fit the upper together. Is there any way to possibly modify the trigger setup itself?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got a digital trigger scale and tested my SU16 with stock trigger. 5 pulls averaged 6lb 11oz.. Not great but I have seen a lot stock AR15s with same or worse trigger pulls.
Yeah, I'd prefer around 4.5 to 5lb. but I can live with what I have for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try doing a LOT of dry firing. The trigger on my well used SU16CA wasn't too bad. However when I I bought the KelTec adjustable stock setup I definitely noticed the new trigger in it was MUCH stiffer.

I did manage to grab the McCarbo trigger before they went out of stock. I haven't really shot it much since then, so can't make a comparison.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I contacted MCarbo & their prompt response is that they no longer offer the SU16 lockwork and have no plans to do so. Galloway Precision has nothing for SU16 triggers, ditto Red Lion.
As a SU16C owner, I looked into the modified 15 lower. It appears the primary benefit of the folding stock must be sacrificed. While some folks love the 15 Carbine telescoping stock, it significantly lengthens the little beast, compromising its wonderful compactness and carrying options. Also, a longer SU16C is significantly hindered should you need to fire the SU16C from inside a vehicle whilst navigating a riotous scene.
Sorry I didn't act quickly - you snooze, you lose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well..I have the collapsible stock on mine since that's how I bought it. Dry firing the folding stock seemed much easier than the trigger that's on the collapsible stock. Out of desperation I shot the trigger that's currently on the gun (collapsible stock) full of Kroil Oil and let it sit for a week. Took it to the range and it was 90% better than before. Not anything like any of my other carbines but way better than the SU had ever been in the past.
Seems with all the SU's out there someone would be doing some trigger work on them. I'd love a more substantial trigger at least. I know there is an aluminum one out there but you have to take the whole receiver apart to install it.
I'm not confident enough in my skills to mess with triggers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
100% agreed. Although I'll repair or modify my competition pieces (1911s, Glocks, & MSRs), I'll never do so on something which may see duty for serious social work. Following the advice of Ayoob, any gun which may be used for self-defense should be bone-stock. If any work is required, it should be done by a qualified professional (and keep your receipts!)
Even if I did not expect to use my SU16c for self-defense, after watching the videos, I'd still have the factory or a qualified individual do the work.
Maybe if enough of us bug them (MCarbo, Red Lion, Galloway, whoever), they will again offer a better trigger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree. I have a Volquartsen trigger in my Ruger PCC which is a huge improvement over the stock Ruger. Volquartsen is a well known and reputable firearms manufacturer so I'm not worried about that one my EDC is a Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro which is box stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts