Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Oleg posted the very nice image in the SU-16 Pictures thread, so we must be getting close.

Anybody have a revised "gettin' close" target date for these to ship?

I hope Kel-Tec is planning on making more than 100 of these, because I REALLY want one!

·
Registered
168 Posts
want.
want so bad.
want bad enough to sell my children.
hell i want bad enough to sell other peoples children

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have 3 S&W AR's at work in 300 wisper...camo no less..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks cool, sounds like a good idea, but to me it begs the question, why not just make a 7.62x39 version to start with? I would buy one, I know of at least 10 people who live within 10 miles of me that would buy one, and I'm sure a large majority of ktog would buy one. Don't get me wrong, the 300blk is cool and all, but its pretty much a straight walled version of the old russkie, right? Its also a bit more expensive, and harder to find (I.e. my local walmart locations do not stock 300blk, but have both foriegn and domestically produced x39)
I also obviously have an AK, as do a lot of other people, so it seems like the market would be there... lastly, let's not forget from whence the operation system for the SU is derived...

Just sayin.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Looks cool, sounds like a good idea, but to me it begs the question, why not just make a 7.62x39 version to start with? I would buy one, I know of at least 10 people who live within 10 miles of me that would buy one, and I'm sure a large majority of ktog would buy one. Don't get me wrong, the 300blk is cool and all, but its pretty much a straight walled version of the old russkie, right? Its also a bit more expensive, and harder to find (I.e. my local walmart locations do not stock 300blk, but have both foriegn and domestically produced x39)
I also obviously have an AK, as do a lot of other people, so it seems like the market would be there... lastly, let's not forget from whence the operation system for the SU is derived...

Just sayin.
Its a 221 necked up to 30 caliber, a wildcat developed many years ago By JDJones from SSK industries...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its a 221 necked up to 30 caliber, a wildcat developed many years ago By JDJones from SSK industries...
Right, I get that, but the ballistic properties are real close to 7.62x39. Is it some form of patriotism to ignore a widely available and battle tested round in favor of a domestically produced fraternal twin? Honestly I don't really care all that much, I love my C and tolerate the .22 cal. poodle shooter round it fires because the package makes so much sense to me, and I still have my rocks-and-sticks simple AKs that I feel confident will get me through any "bad" times without issue, but it would really tickle me to have the su in a caliber I could enjoy more, not to mention shoot more. Right now I have 3 times as much 7.62 as I do .223, and I'm pretty sure I have slightly less coin invested in the 7.62.
A lot of this is just my lay-persons bias, I'm not a vet or an operator, so I cant and wont argue the real world merits of either cartridge. I am a" working-poor" lower middle class firearms enthusiast, and I can afford an AK mag dump once in a while, a .223 mag dump a lot less frequently, and wouldn't consider dumping a mag of 300blk on anything short of a charging grizzly bear that had managed to sneak up on me while I had nothing else available.

Its a slow day at work today, so I am really just killing time here anyway.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
You know other than not having to change the bolt i don't see anything the 300 will do that the 762 would'nt do better, unless your a midnight deer hunter with a can. And then you could always load the 762 sub-sonic.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The 300 BLK can be fed through AR type magazines, and the 7.62x39 can not. That is why we are getting an SU-16 in 300 BLK, not 7.62x39. Besides, when 7.62x39 is made with a brass case and a high grade bullet, it isn't any cheaper than anything else.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The 300 BLK can be fed through AR type magazines, and the 7.62x39 can not. That is why we are getting an SU-16 in 300 BLK, not 7.62x39. Besides, when 7.62x39 is made with a brass case and a high grade bullet, it isn't any cheaper than anything else.
I can see where that makes sense. Although I'm seeing an awful lot of 7.62 AR mags these days.
I'm not fully on the "steel case is bad" bandwagon. I think the claims are greatly exagerated of its potential to damage the much harder extractor steel... it is dirtier, I freely admit that, and the tolerances are looser resulting in lower accuracy from "tighter" rifles (ARs) but I really think the su, with its cleaner opsys would do just fine with the commie stuff.
That being said I might be a hypocrite, because I haven't used anything but brass in my su, but that's mostly because I haven't seen any steelcased 223 around here when I'm buying ammo, and I got a good deal on a bunch of brass cased reloads... and I hate cleaning the su bolt and barrel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not on the 300BLK bandwagon either, as my preference and budget are the Russian 7.62x39. But one thing to consider is most of the US made guns built to shoot the x39 have problems piercing the hard Berdan primers, and usually have to do with American made brass x39. The Russian x39 ammo is also a little looser spec and the American guns are a little tighter. The ARs and Mini 30s have had problems with commie ammo. That said, with the 300BLK, I think you just need to change the barrel. but the ammo is the weak point for me, price and availability. Ok for recreational shooting, but I like to stock up as well. For ME, for .223/5.56 I use the KelTec. If I need .30 cal, I use Russian stuff because it's cheap and tough.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 4 KelTecs so don't get me wrong on what I'm about to say. I bought a SU16B. Only one I could find. For one reason. Not because it could fold, etc..
What are the 2 most popular rounds in the world? AK and AR. In case of some kind of SHTF situation.. And its been reported the SU is a good rifle, but not a battle rifle. Like some others here I can't afford to go out and buy Kimbers,etc.. So I have a AK and the SU16 as my M16/M4..
Now I trust the SU16 in a minor fire fight, but if it really gets tough.. I will get me a M4.. If I survive I will get me a M4.(If you follow my thoughts).

Besides the AK eats about anything you fed it.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
From the Kel Tec Facebook page. They are trying to answer rumors.

Will Kel-Tec produce an SU-300?
Answer:
Yes, there is a .300BLK version of the
SU-16 that is in the works. It won't be produced in large quantities, but will certainly be produced. For those that aren't familiar with the .300 Blackout, check it out, it's a pretty awesome round.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Biggest problem with Russian ammo in American rifles is that steel cases don't expand to seal the chamber and you get some blow by which carbon fouls the chamber. Its not the laquer that gums up chambers its the carbon. The Russian chambers are looser and designed for this, ARs and SUs are not. Due to the tighter tolerances the fouling can cause sticking especially when you switch back to brass and it expands to grip the chamber walls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts