Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fired a pistol grip shotgun before and found it quite awkward to shoot and aim accurately. How do y'all hold your plr16 in order to get accurate fire? I've been lusting after the PLR16 lately but can't figure it out. I'm thinking a single point sling used as a "stock" could help.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I have not fired one.

But I have fired many other scoped handguns over the years.

IMO: On a bench with sandbags at arms length is how you get all the accurate fire the gun is capable off.

rc

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I do have a plr, and I hunt with .44 mags, .454 casull's, and a .270, all in handguns. I also like to carry a .44 mag snub nose that, while not a crack shot, you wouldn't want to insure anything within 50 yards of it. I like big and stout handguns, and hold them all the same. I use the basic Weaver grip. Primary (right) hand on the grip, elbow bent to the side. secondary hand holding the primary hand lower on the grip. With heavy recoil guns (the plr ain't one) this reduces the pivot of the gun against the web of the thumb/hand. Left elbow is held lower, and the gun is, if I were standing straight, at about 11 o'clock. My head is turned so I'm looking down the sights, focusing on the front site, not the target. Take a breath, let some of it out, and let the preasure on the trigger pile up. You can type this all day, read this 100 times, watch youtube 1000 times, but unless you practice this (some dry fire, most hot) it won't work. It is all mind over gun, in my book. It is easy to dry fire at the screw on the light switch across the room and have the gun not twitch. It is different when you know you are going to get hit with a solid punch. Take that hit. Don't flinch. At some point, you change from "but it's goin to hurt me" to "buahhh ha haaa!!!!". When you get to that point, it gets a lot easier to do. I wish my plr had a s/w quality trigger, but it don't. I wish I had a .223 barrel for my t/c, but I don't. I do know that time spent shooting .22lr WELL translates in to real rounds being shot better.
I dont' know, I've had a few vodka/cranberries, and I'm ready for bed, but did this help any?

Take care and be safe,
Lop

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Re-reading your post, I'll add:
I dont' have a forward grip on my plr. I think they hold heat in, and the owners manual warns against heat build up. I'd like to see a heat sink option up front. I dont' touch my revolvers, my t/c, nor my plr in front of the back grip. The only guns I do that with are long guns with a stock on my shoulder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. It seems like a good SHTF gun, anybody have any luck with a more rifle like presentation?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. It seems like a good SHTF gun, anybody have any luck with a more rifle like presentation?
Get a forend for it, put a single point sling on it.
Once you have the sling on you will be pushing the gun away from you and the sling will be pulling. The gun does not have alot of recoil, so with you pushing away and a solid grip you will not have much muzzle rise and recoil.
This type of pistol is a first for my son and I, and he was just great at it this way of holding and shooting,and even better off a rest. I didn't do to bad myself. Like everything, practice will make you better.
I'm no expert at this, but this method sure helped us. We used the Winchester Single-Point sling we bought at Walmart for 20 bucks.
Its elastic like a bungy cord but very nice. The sling from KT is not worth it, but you will need a sling attachment to put on the gun which you do get from KT with thier sling.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm with you, paul and feel your pain. I just got a PLR-22 and also find it awkward to shoot accurately without resting it on something.

Gino's sling solution makes logical sense to me. The push/pull thing must create more stability opposed to levitating it out in front of you while your arms quiver. Strap adjustment is fairly critical, I'm guessing.

I've got a bunch of straps laying around and a sewing machine, so I may try to gin one up and see how it feels. If it feels decent, I'll fall off my wallet and get a good one.

I'm assuming the strap attachment connects to the rear-most screw behind the take-down pin?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I have both a plr and an AR. The AR is more standard: shoulder and forend grip make it easy to use, but its BIG and it cannot be used on a HANDGUN permit.

The PLR is a handgun, so I can carry it as I see fit. Using an extended AR 15 mag (30 rounds) as the forend grip, it is usable. It is not as comfortable as the AR, but, it is 1/3 the size and legal to carry. The PLR was also 1/2 the price of an AR 15, even the cheap ones.

With my scoped PLR I am confident I could fight out to 100, 200 yards with it. So its a good range, high capacity, powerful caliber weapon in a legal to carry pistol format. It is also a hoot to blast away with at the range. It is very worth the money.

Unlike a pistol gripped shotgun, the 223 has mild recoil, no worse than a small 357 and nothing at all like a 12 gauge. With a 2h grip (magazine and pistol grip), most people can control it. I can even fire the plr 1 handed, though it is *very* heavy and I doubt I could do more than 5 shots without resting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You need a stable platform. I use a sling around my shoulder and back, and push the gun away from my body, at the right distance from my face with both hands. The sling has to be tought and that would make it more stable than just holding a hangun with both hands. I can double tap with this set up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have fired a pistol grip shotgun before and found it quite awkward to shoot and aim accurately. How do y'all hold your plr16 in order to get accurate fire? I've been lusting after the PLR16 lately but can't figure it out. I'm thinking a single point sling used as a "stock" could help.
Like others who have replied, I use a single point bungee sling to provide a more stable platform for shooting the PLR.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For me it depends on my usage. If I want pin point accuracy I use a bipod. If I'm unsupportted I use a weaver grip. If it is a more tactical reflex type shooting I use a sling and grip the magwell.

I personally like the traditional pistol (weaver) hold the best. The PLR is actually lighter than my Ruger Super Redhawk .44. I just hold them the same. I joke with my freinds that the PLR is just a 44 mag with 30 rounds. :)

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I bought my PLR-16 six years ago. It was fun enough and unusual enough to be novel at the range. Always an attention-getter, but not very easy to shoot accurately unless from a rest or bench. I tried the slings, but still it wasn't acceptably easy to shoot accurately IMO. About 18 months later, I decided to send the $200 in to the BATFE, get the tax stamp and SBR it. Best decision I ever made. Now I have an accurate, light weight, easy to shoot, no recoil, CQB beast! The gun that I'd lost interest in pretty quickly, now became one of my all time favorites when I added the stock. And now being a legal "rifle" I could also add a VFG to the fore end, killing two birds with one stone so to speak. More money, and about 3 months wait for the stamp, but WELL worth it IMHO!
NOW it is FUN! :cool:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Does the $200 cover everything to make a SBR? Or per part?
No not everything. The $200 only covers the tax (extortion), you have to pay to the government. :mad:

Parts are extra. I used the Kel-Tec fore end and stock conversion kit. The stock is the MagPul CTR, mounted with an Ace folder hinge. The VFG is a cheap knock-off of the Grip Pod. Sight in the picture is an EOTech clone. I have a Vortex Red Dot on it now. :cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
No not everything. The $200 only covers the tax (extortion), you have to pay to the government. :mad:

Parts are extra. I used the Kel-Tec fore end and stock conversion kit. The stock is the MagPul CTR, mounted with an Ace folder hinge. The VFG is a cheap knock-off of the Grip Pod. Sight in the picture is an EOTech clone. I have a Vortex Red Dot on it now. :cool:
Sorry, what I meant was that the extortion:) covered the stock and VFG. But you did answer my question.
Is it that much of a PITA to get and keep an SBR stamp?
Thanks for your help, I really like your setup, would like to do the same.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Sorry, what I meant was that the extortion:) covered the stock and VFG. But you did answer my question.
Is it that much of a PITA to get and keep an SBR stamp?
Thanks for your help, I really like your setup, would like to do the same.
It is not difficult, just expensive. You pay them $200. You get paperwork. One time deal, and it is done (per gun!!!). There are no upkeep charges or paperwork.

Once you make it an SBR, it will always be one. You cannot then use the gun on a handgun permit in most states. It becomes more like an AR and whatever rules your state has on carrying those around. Even if you take the stock and all off the gun, it can never be a "handgun" again in the eyes of the BAFTE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts