Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this maybe the worst post ever but the p3at is the first pistol I have owned and shot. I have alot of experience with rifles and shotguns and not to toot my own horn but a very good shot.

When I took my keltec to the range for the first time, out of 50 rounds I landed only 10-12 in a 10in target at 10 yards! I tried several different adjustments but I cannot find a medium where it is consistent.

I have the SG p3at with the three horn sight, when aiming do you line the front sight up with the back sight making a entire rounded area, put the front sight half way beteen the top and bottom of the rear sight or somethign else. I have tried alot of things and I would greatly appreciate if you could help me as it seems that everyone is shootigng very accurately at this range.

Thanks for not for lack of a better word shooting me down on this.

Justin

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
10" at 30' sounds pretty good.

i would step up to 21' (7 yards) and practice.

have some one either load a live round or a sent one and let you try.  this will let you know if you are jerking.

there are two camps about sights.  those that want more and those who don't use them.

i'm in the who needs them camp.  the piece the resistance of the other camp is that laser thingy. the least is the use of paint on the sights

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a lot of experience shooting pistols and the reality is that 7 yards is about the distance you should expect to be the maximum effective range of a pocket pistol. That said, I have found the KT to be a surprisingly accurate pistol once you get used to firing it and that long DAO triggerpull. At seven yards it should not be difficult to keep a group about the size of a softball if your KT, ammunition and you are doing thier part. Here are some things to try:

Shoot first from the bench resting and aiming as steady ast you can. Try different ammo. The best HP is useless unless it can find its mark. Choose the most reliable and then most accurate ammo. All my KTs like Winchester Silvertips but shoot about three inches below point of aim (so we just aim higher). Try and make sure you have the same grip on the gun and same trigger/finger position with each shot. If you try to use the sights, focus on the front sight and not the target. Trigger control is crucial. Try and "follow through" with each trigger pull as though you want to pull the trigger further than it will go - but do it smooth and consistent. Finally you may find that aimimg your KT will not produce the tightest groups. Try pointing the pistol at the target as though you were pointing your index finger at it. In fact, point your index finger along side the pistol (this is remarkably effective once you get the hang of it). Finally my advice is to master the basics before moving on. Target closer, sight alignment, trigger control. Take the earlier advice and load a dummy round to see if you are flinching (if you are - that is the biggest obsticle to overcome). Best of luck and as the old saying goes - practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was shooting crappy whitebox from wal mart, I have ordered some of the famed corbon dpx and will post if groupings are still inconsistent. Thanks for teh replies and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You need more practice, or something is wrong with your gun. I shot my P3AT outdoors for the first time this weekend. I have put close to 1000 rounds through it, so I am fairly comfortable with the gun.

Anyways, I took a plastic bottle and threw it on the ground and started shooting at it. It was probably 25-30 feet away. It wasn't a big bottle, but one of those skinny water bottles that you can buy by the case. I was resting on a table for most of the shots, standing for the others (with a two hand Weaver stance.) I was hitting the bottle pretty consistently, like 2 out of 3 shots. I'd hit it and it would pop up in the air and then I'd hit it again. I was very surprised how well I was doing. But then again, with all of the rounds I have put through it, I am used to the sights, used to the trigger pull, etc.

My friend who was with me decided to give it a try. He had NEVER shot the gun before. He's mainly a rifle guy too. Never shot many handguns. Let's just say his shooting was less than impressive with the little gun. He hit the bottle maybe 1 out of 15 shots fired. It was kinda funny to watch because the shots were so wild.

Trust me. With time you will find that the gun is actually pretty damn accurate for what it is.

P.S. shooting plastic bottles outside is a blast. Only thing that stopped me from shooting more was a sore hand ;D

Edit: my ammo was also crappy Winchester FMJ (round nose)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try using your index finger tip/pad, rather then the arch of the first knuckle, that really helped me keep from pulling the shot.

Good luck, if you find you like shooting a pistol, then you will probably find that "one more pistol" is only enough until you have bought it.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Start from 3-5 yards and gradually move back as you get better. Use a "W" sight picture. ( the top of the front sight completely fills the rear groove and is level with the top of the rear sight.)

This gun does not like a six oclock hold. Cover the target center with the front sight.

Buy some A-zoom snap caps from Brock. Use them to practice dry firing while sighting a target. You will soon see how the muzzle moves at trigger let-off.

Practice until you can pull the trigger without the sights moving off the target.

Then go to the range and practice 100-200 rounds of WWB or Remington UMC. Then move up to the cheap remington hollowpoints, which cost only a little more at WalMart and are very accurate.

You don't want to use the $1 per round DPX until you have improved greatly. Practice makes perfect.

Packer.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
some1yell said:
I was shooting crappy whitebox from wal mart, I have ordered some of the famed corbon dpx and will post if groupings are still inconsistent.  Thanks for teh replies and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
There is - HUFF - nothing CRAPPY about WWB ammo! :eek: I shoot it out of several guns almost exclusively (380ACP, 9mm, .40S&W, 45ACP, and even a box of 7.62x39). It makes a fine practice ammo, and I'm reasonably certain it will do harm to any animate object it hits. I will eventually get some Corbon DPX for carry, but until then I have WWB FMJ loaded in my P3AT and am absolutely confident I can hit what I point at. I will readily admit there are better AND pricier rounds out there, but I have NOT had any issues with the white box. WHEN I get the Corbon, I'll practice 1 mag of it each range session, then switch back to the Winchester for any other practice. But the WWB will remain the primary round in both my bigger handguns. No slam, and no flame intended. I just get tired of the poor White box being slammed simply because it's inexpensive. It's been flawless for me for 1500+ rounds fired this year.

;)

G

·
3wbdriver: u are probably 100% right with ur assumption. The WWB is good ammo. clean shooting. It gots it bad rap in the early stages of the kt minis which gave alot of feed problems and wwb was one of the rounds attributed to the problems back then. IMO I think it was now gun related and not ammo related, for it seems now that most all of the new versions of the p380 will shoot anything that goes into the pipe. WWB of late have have no complaints about at all. So IMO u are right to defend the round. It is a good round.Just shoot it like u stole it... ;D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
WWB shoots well for me. The problem is probably not the ammo. Read the posts from rover and packer several times. The AT is very sensitive to the way you grip it in my experience so be consistent and by all means get those snap caps.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the rims of the WWB may be thinner than some premium ammo. Some first gen P3 extractors obviously had problems with it. It was probably a combination of factors. I've shot plenty of it in many different guns. For the same money, I think the Rem UMC is a pretty good cheap ammo too. At the gun shows, I can often find Aguila, S&B and Fiocchi at the same price point, sometimes less. I think Win has raised their price some in the last several months. Anyone else notice that? :-/

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
fatman said:
 The AT is very sensitive to the way you grip it in my experience so be consistent and by all means get those snap caps.
Agreed. Everytime I shoot one-handed, I have a hell of time preventing limp wristing. I was shooting this past weekend, and decided to change from 2 handed to one. I started having some failures and I thought, "Crap, my gun is messing up on me." Took me about 2 seconds after that to realize I was limp wristing. (I was getting failures-to-feed, BTW.)

One question. Have you guys had any problems with bad primers on WWB?? So far, out of 900 rounds, I've had about 4 failures to fire. 3 of those have come within the last 300 rounds. I had one this past weekend. There was a dent in the primer, so I put the round back in and tried again. It still wouldn't fire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have purchased plenty of WWB from my local Wally World and can’t find anything to complain about other than they jacked up the price of a box of 100 3AT from $13 to $21 just this year!! As for quality, I have not had a misfire from either the WWB .380, 9mm or .40. It all seems to function well and is pretty darn accurate.

When the gun show comes to town I try and find S&B or Fioochi ammo at a good price, as I have always thought that to be the best buy in practice ammo for under $7 per 50.

I have seldom been able to justify spending $1+ a round for the “geewiz” ammo. The best and worst handgun round efficiency is a razor thin margin and my thoughts are it’s much better to be reliable and accurate than have a little more expansion or a few more fps velocity. Of course this is strictly an opinion and I wouldn’t begrudge anyone buying what they thought was best for their situation. Still, I’m too old and set in my ways to be impressed by manufacture’s claims of performance that stretches the laws of physics and common sense.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't use the sights on my P3AT or my wifes P32 at 7 yards. Just a quick sight down the barrel like a shot gun at a trap shoot and pull the trigger. All shots go COM. Don't care if they are .5" groups or 3" groups, just as long as they all meet at close to the COM.

I have been thinking about just scribing a line down the top center of the slide and grinding the front sight off. On my wife's 32, most of the time I shoot it the light is so bad I can't even see the sights and still place the shots pretty well.

Keeping in the theme of trap shooting, I find the gun shoots much better if the elbow is kept straight and let the shoulder take the recoil, not the wrist or the elbow. ;D

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Start from 3-5 yards and gradually move back as you get better. Use a "W" sight picture. ( the top of the front sight completely fills the rear groove and is level with the top of the rear sight.)

This is good advice or even 2-3 yards. Too many people keep blasting away at long distance hoping to get better. I think you can see and correct your errors more easily at close range - then move it out once you're proficient up close.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
some1yell:
The following remarks may not apply to you but sometimes I just have to post what is on my mind even though I am not any kind of expert. Just another opinionated old man.

I assume you got your pistol primarily for self defense as these little guns are poor target pistols. It is easy to get stuck on firing tighter groups than the other guy and forget that shooting small groups does not prepare you to defend yourself. Based on that assumption I will give you this advice.

You will rarely be confronted by a BG at a greater distance than 4-5 yards. They are usually very poor shots and even the dumb ones can figure out after a few shots down the alley that they need to get close to hit anything.

It is a good thing to practice accurate shooting at longer ranges just to know what you and the gun can do but if you need to use it you will probably be shooting up close and you need to be fast. If you really want to be prepared, get a timer and practice safely getting your gun out and firing multiple shots into an area the size of a dinner plate at a ranges of 2-5 yards.

You will need to be fast but you must be accurate enough to hit center of mass. Defensive shooting is a trade off between being slow enough to be safe with the draw, accurate enough to hit center of mass and fast enough to get that hit in time to save your life. Also practice firing multiple shots. Never expect a one shot stop from a pistol.

Now you know what to do. That knowledge is worth nothing unless you practice enough to make the entire procedure a conditioned reflex. When you have done that your response will be "see the threat-kill the threat."

Most people will not practice enough to reach this level and that is OK. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you have a pistol you are prepared.

G

·
ol man, nice and very true to life comments ;D

jocko, who feels you don't have to be old to be "wise" but have found that most old people are "wise".

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Tell the truth Jocko...
You never thought that until you were old. ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.