Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tearing down my RDB-C today. Firing pin snapped which isn't the biggest concern for me. What is getting me is the cam pin is stuck so I can't remove the bolt. I can't turn it any direction other than to the right 90 degrees and it won't release so I can't get the bolt out.

I have a free floating pin so there is no spring jammed in there.

Hoping that I can get some help before I have to send it in to Kel Tec per their request.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can take a jab at it but I'm a bit confused by your situation based on that description.

I believe you can take off the receiver cover (serialized part of the rifle) without any issue, at this point the bolt is 90% exposed with the cam pin visible. You can then push out the cross pin and release the firing pin, at this point you should be able to remove the cam pin. Due to the lack of cam pin you can now pull out the bolt carrier minus the bolt head, but with the bolt gone the entirety of the bolt head is accessible to you which should make it easy to remove.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can take a jab at it but I'm a bit confused by your situation based on that description.

I believe you can take off the receiver cover (serialized part of the rifle) without any issue, at this point the bolt is 90% exposed with the cam pin visible. You can then push out the cross pin and release the firing pin, at this point you should be able to remove the cam pin. Due to the lack of cam pin you can now pull out the bolt carrier minus the bolt head, but with the bolt gone the entirety of the bolt head is accessible to you which should make it easy to remove.
Cross pin out no problem. Firing pin drops out no problem. Cam pin will NOT come out, therefore I can't remove the bolt. That's the problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cam pin will NOT come out, therefore I can't remove the bolt.
Is this because of the broken firing pin? I would imagine if half of it is stuck inside the bolt and is still engaged with the cam pin it would lead to your situation.
What I would try is using some sort of lubrications and a rubber hammer to see if I can get the rest of the firing pin out. In my RDB-C the firing pin drops right out when I removed the cross pin. If your bolt is very dirty maybe try applying some CLP to break away the carbon build up. Make sure that the cam pin is rotated correctly, the half moon raised section should form a straight line along the cut out on the bolt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this because of the broken firing pin? I would imagine if half of it is stuck inside the bolt and is still engaged with the cam pin it would lead to your situation.
What I would try is using some sort of lubrications and a rubber hammer to see if I can get the rest of the firing pin out. In my RDB-C the firing pin drops right out when I removed the cross pin. If your bolt is very dirty maybe try applying some CLP to break away the carbon build up. Make sure that the cam pin is rotated correctly, the half moon raised section should form a straight line along the cut out on the bolt
The firing pin was broken in 2 and both pieces fell right out. Mine has a free floting pin so there is no spring inside. Bolt has been cleaned with CLP and the cam pin only rotates to the right 90 degrees but will not come out. Yes, the cam pin flat side lines up flush with the bolt housing also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wait, if there's no firing pin then the cam pin should be free to come out. You said you can rotate it clockwise 90 degrees, this is interesting because if there's nothing binding the cam pin, you should be able to rotate it full 360 degrees, the only reason I can think of if you can only rotate it 90 degrees is if you have something stuck in the firing pin tunnel. Can you rotate the cam pin to its correct position and shine a flashlight into the hole where the firing pin comes out and see if you can see anything? If you can find the binding surface then you can solve the issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait, if there's no firing pin then the cam pin should be free to come out. You said you can rotate it clockwise 90 degrees, this is interesting because if there's nothing binding the cam pin, you should be able to rotate it full 360 degrees, the only reason I can think of if you can only rotate it 90 degrees is if you have something stuck in the firing pin tunnel. Can you rotate the cam pin to its correct position and shine a flashlight into the hole where the firing pin comes out and see if you can see anything? If you can find the binding surface then you can solve the issue
When I shine a light thru the firing pin hole, light shows clear thru. There is no obstruction that can be seen. I'm trying really hard to fix this issue before sending the whole rifle back to KT for repair. :(

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
The RDB cam is a PITA for many.
To remove mine I have to grasp it with needle noses and pull it out.
Looks like yours may have gotten hammered.
Can you make a length of hanger wire with a little angle on the end to insert in the rear and nudge out the cam pin?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts