Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
Anybody got a lathe and the know how to fab a sturdier firing pin?
Firing pins aren't as easy as they look. They need to be hard on the outside and tough (not brittle) on the inside. This requires the proper heat treatment, and for a small and odd shaped part like a firing pin, that can be more magic than science. Too hard and the brittle firing pin tip will break. Not hard enough and the firing pin will bend or mushroom on the end. If a firing pin bends and jams in the firing pin channel with the tip of the firing pin protruding from the bolt face, the RDB could slam fire when the round is mostly chambered and this could be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
How much do these cost from the factory that you want to fab your own ?

I think you need to figure out how/why they are breaking and address that issue.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They aren't available for purchase online, nothing for the RDB is, yet. And I don't get home in time to call. They've been great sending me replacement parts when I request them. As far as the issue, I'll presume it's because I use steel cased ammo. If that's why, I'd like a tougher firing pin.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry I missed the reason and / or steel case as the potential culprit.

I'm not sure how steel cased ammo would have any bearing since the firing pin shouldn't contact the actual casing. Seems it should only contact the primer; which I suppose steel case has a harder primer but still.

Seems like there could be another explanation to this. Any chance you could post pictures of one or both broken firing pins?

I haven't personally run steel through my RDB but I'd venture to guess many others have and would think the problem would be seen elsewhere.

I know the 3 hour time difference and weird hours makes getting KT on the phone difficult. I've found creating a ticket on the website to be the easiest except they tend to close tickets after a reply and I have to re-open them if not resolved.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree as to having difficulty believing steel cases cause the problem. I have been in contact with KT multiple times, every issue related to this gun. No complaints with their CS. I need to just send it back but time is at a premium currently. The actual point of the pin, that which physically contacts the primer, is what keeps snapping off. I'll try and get pics later. I knew I wasn't the only person running steel, and frankly, if it can't run steel I don't want it.

Man, I WANT to love this gun.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
So, how much cheaper does steel have to be, and how much of it do you have to shoot to make "hey, I'll just commission a master tool and die machinist to custom fab me new parts" pencil out ?

Not understanding the devotion to steel ammo, unless you are already sitting on top of a few hundred thousand rounds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No need for a master tool and die maker. Plenty of home gamers have lathes and aren't tool and die makers, let alone masters.

I, and many others, buy steel cased because it's cheaper. Sometimes it can be considerably less. Sometimes just a few cents per round. I buy it because it's cheap, reliable enough for range use and can be cleaned up quickly with a magnet and tossed. Range trips are few and far between as is, I don't wanna spend 20 minutes crawling around gathering brass by hand.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
I have a manual lathe and a small precision CNC mini lathe, and I don't see how I could make a better RDB firing pin than Kel-Tec.

As for picking up your brass, it should be a simple matter on the RDB to catch the brass as it drops out the bottom. Either that, or get one of those brass magnets. :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
No aftermarkets as of yet. Personally I have had problems with steel cased ammo being far dirtier in my rifle. ( At least the stuff my buddy provided, Hey It was free) It left a lot more clean up for me at least. Federal eagle works fine for me. and I get it at a deal. in any case Good luck with that firing pin. Please be careful though . Hardness and tempering are everything.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I like the hard primer theory. But i agree any gun worth a damn should have a reliable firing pin. This is another reason my RDB stays in the range toy category.

Reactions: Gooman18

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would only make my own firing pin if it was impossible to get a decent replacement. I have a nice little metal lathe, stocks of tool steel and case hardening experience, but it's not worth my precious time off when I can get a replacement with a phone call.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.