strong ejection

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 82boy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    HI Everyone.
    I just bought a P3AT, and I put a box of Sellier and Bellot throught it. The gun functions great. The only problem is the way this thing ejects shells. It throws them up and back, but not like autos I have had before. The gun was throwing shells on the roof, of the shelter house I was standing infront of. When I shot inside the shelter house they was bouncing off the celing. Is this normal?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    yes

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I noted this also but not a concern for me.  Question, does this also cause a "flat" on the spent casing?  The flat I see looks like the same shape and size as the square tab on the top-rear of the barrel.  My buddy reloads and pointed this out to me.

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I noted this also but not a concern for me.  Question, does this also cause a "flat" on the spent casing?  The flat I see looks like the same shape and size as the square tab on the top-rear of the barrel.  My buddy reloads and pointed this out to me.
    [/quote]

Yup, pretty normal for a dent to be in the spent casing...maybe 70% of mine have the same dent.

5. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I also get the dent in the case. Well good to know that this is normal. Thanks guys.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yup, it's all normal. You'll find your empties in the stratosphere. ;D I shot mine at range last Friday. Guys three stalls down were bringing me my empties. I had brass flying over an 8 foot wall and 30 feet away. It's done that since it was new.

I too reload, the flat spot on the empty cases are not an issue. The sizing die handles it easily. I've got some .380 cases I've loaded 10 times and I've not had a single case split, get stuck in the chamber, or fail to feed reliably.

7. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I can't explain it but my P3AT doesn't put a flat spot on the mouth of the cases at all. It puts no mark at all whether I'm shooting full power rounds like Defensive rounds or even if I'm shooting my soft reloads.

It does, however, launch the empties into the next zip code with factory rounds and barely stays in this zip code with my soft reloads. The wife picks up my empties several shooting stations down from where I'm firing.

8. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I am just use to the gun shooting the emptys over a couple of feet.

9. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

Yep ! What everyone else has said. I always saved the brass for reloading on my other autos, the p3at slings them outta sight and can't ever find many of them.

10. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i allways save my brass so i can reload it,,,,except with the p3at. i am lucky to find one out of every 10 rounds fired. so i just gave up on looking for the brass.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    What! I thought my P3ATs were the only ones that through brass like that. ;)

Bill K.

12. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

A friend of mine has the Little copy Pistol and it is the same way.

13. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I can't ever find my brass either guys. They probably burn up upon reentry.

14. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Well I guess it is time to invent a brass catcher.

15. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Has anyone ever rebent the spring, to lessen the ejection throw?

16. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I would be careful trying to modify the P3 to keep the brass from going into low orbit.   If you change the speed of the slide too much you will start to get feeding problems.

Wolff Springs does make a few heavier springs for the P3at, they have a kit for $22 that has 3 different springs.   That might help a little but I wouldn't think it would be a big change.  

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/KELTEC/P3AT/cID1/mID31/dID150

Here is a thread that JFB did a great review of the springs and a quote about the ejection.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245458048/1

17. brobert225

brobert225 New Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Agreed. The conventional way to deal with ejection distance is to change the recoil springs. I would not fool with such a small gun however.