Stripped extractor screw

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by patriot07, Aug 28, 2007.

1. patriot07

patriot07 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Gentlemen (and ladies), I have a problem.  I have a stripped extractor screw, or buttonhead, whatever floats your boat, on my 2G 3AT.  And I have no idea how to get it out.  I may try to use a dremel to slot the screw so I can get a screwdriver on it, but I don't have the dremel with me tonight, and I really don't enjoy the thought of putting a dremel that close to the outside of my almost-new hard chrome slide.  Does anyone have any other good ideas?  

I've tried several torx and hex bits trying to jam something in there to be able to turn it, but nothing has done the trick so far.

2. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Hang in there, someone with more smarts then me will reply soon, but the dremel thing may be the only way. :-/

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    How about, putting duct tape with a hole for the screw head.

instead of a dremel wheel, i would first try a needle file. usally in the kit of needle file there is a slotting file (the edge has the cutting, but the flat slides are safe.

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    When I did it I put a few thicknesses of tape around the screw head to protect the slide, then carefully used a coping saw to make the slot. A hacksaw would work also.

5. gabink

gabink New Member

Aug 27, 2007
  6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Using a Dremel cutting disk to slot the screw is the best way. Pad a vise to hold the gun and then use 2 hands to steady the Dremel.

If You MUST try to do it now, with what you have:

1. Heat the screw really hot with a hair dryer or soldering iron to loosen the L0c-Tite.

2. Use aluminum foil to pad the allen wrench and get a better fit.

3. While holding the wrench down forcefully into the screw, gently nudge it unscrewed.

4. Call KT service, 1-800-515-9983, and get a new non-strip hardened screw. might as well get the extrctor and spring also.

Good luck! If all else fails, KT will fix it for you.

Packer.

7. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I had to solve this very problem earlier this month. I used the dremel slot technique with no problems.

1. Taped up slide around the screw, because I was apprehensive.

2. Held the slide in a vise using wood shims to protect it and get a good bite.

3. Cut slot using dremel cut off disk. Make sure slot is wide enough to get a sharp screw driver in there.

4. Used soldering iron to heat up the screw slightly (only need ~250 F)

Screw came out easily, piece of cake. Never even got close to damaging the slide, but you need a steady hand, preferably 2, like Packer said. Give it a shot and best of luck. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

My post from earlier this month:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186964259

8. patriot07

patriot07 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Thanks for all of the info.

I'll have my dremel back tomorrow (loaned to a friend), and I'll follow the listed procedures to slot the screw and get it out. I'll update afterwards, but I don't anticipate any problems. Thanks yall!

9. Another tip along with the other good info:

You may also try to get some thick rubber electrical tape instead of the duct tape.  It can be found at lowes or maybe an electrical supply house.  The tape I am thinking of is maybe 1/8 th inch thick, and it can help keep the dremel blade awaqy better than just duct tape.

EDIT TO FIX DAB BAD TYPING! ;D My fingers work faster than my brain!