Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I got sort of a strange idea.

See, I have been kind of wanting to start building/modding myself a 'pretty' gun. The original idea was for sort of a 'barbecue gun', if you will. I like the idea of a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 with nice, wood grips and maybe some engraving.

The problems I keep coming up against are:

1. I'd want to take such a gun out to 'play' pretty often. .357 and even .38 ammo is a little expensive to do a lot of paper punching. I have the stuff to get started reloading for .38/.357 (when I finally get one of those round tuits you always hear about) but I still don't know that I'd want to go through super high volumes of the ammo.

2. If I get a SBH in .357, I'll want to use it frequently as a 'holster gun' around the house, woods, etc. I won't want to be hesitant to put it to hard use because it is too pretty.

Well, yesterday I was on the Marschalgrip website looking at wood grips for my CZ82 and I came across this:

http://www.marschalgrips.com/files2/Ruger-models/ruger_markii_right.jpg

To me, that is a thing of beauty, although I'd probably want to go with a tapered barrel. I also looked around and found this site with pics of a classically engraved Mark II that I think is simply gorgeous:

http://www.tonyfrost.com/index_008.htm

I probably wouldn't ever have engraving that extensive on mine (probably too expensive unless I learn to do the engraving, myself) but it gives me ideas. Now, I don't really need another .22 semiauto pistol as I already have a S&W 22A. Thing is, while the 22A is a good, serviceable pistol which I shoot just as well as I shoot the Ruger Mk pistols (I borrowed a Ruger and compared shooting them side by side), the Smith is really more just a 'tool' - it doesn't excite me. On the other hand, I love the Luger-like looks of the Ruger and those wood grips simply elevate it to a whole new level, IMO. So this got me thinking that I could maybe go with a Ruger Mk. (series doesn't matter, to me, as long as the finish looks good) as my 'pretty gun'. The advantages I see to this are:

1. .22LR ammo is cheap. It is also 'low impact' on the shooter. These things combined would make shooting high volumes of ammo through the Ruger both affordable and fun.

2. While I could make a nice holster to carry it and 'show it off' around friends and family, I wouldn't feel the need to do any 'hard use' carrying with it. That way, it wouldn't be a safe queen but I also wouldn't feel I was under utilizing it if I only ever used it for plinking and making holes in paper targets.

3. My right wrist has been bothering me some, lately. Not enough that I am going to have to give up being a recoil junkie (yet) but enough to make me think, "If I live to be eighty, will I still be able to handle a .357 or will it be too hard on my wrist by then?" I'm only halfway to eighty right now (I'm forty) but I do think about these things. My vision for my 'pretty' gun is that I would want something I can still shoot for as long as I have the strength to stand up and pull the trigger and the eyesight to see a target. A Ruger .22 pistol should fill that bill if anything will (hey, I made a rhyme.)

4. In addition to making it 'pretty', there are aftermarket parts that are supposed to make the shooting the Ruger more accurate, pleasurable and so on. Having a pretty gun that is also really accurate would be even more fun.

So, am I nuts to think of making something of a 'barbecue gun' out of a Ruger MK or does the idea make perfect sense? I know, I have to do what makes me happy - and in the end, I will - but I'm just wondering if I need some sense talked into me.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You can get a 10 inch bull barrel for the Mk II.

If I remember right, someone here at KTOG has one.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Drop the doiley and lace. This is a pretty gun.
That is pretty!

The short bull barrel may be heavy for carry, but it balances nicely. Put a Volquarsten sear in it and you get a crisp 2# trigger pull. I don't know what else you'd want to do to it. The slab-side barrel is almost 1.5" longer, as I recall, which would be my choice unless length is an issue.

G2S

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
The Rugers do look better, but having held both (and having owned the Ruger), I prefer the S&W 22A, myself. The Ruger Mark II 22/45 that I had just felt incredibly top-heavy, and of course the field strip was a royal pain, even once I got adept enough at it that I could strip and then reassemble it within 20 seconds. Field-stripping a 22A is a breeze, it feels more balanced, and while the mag release button is in kind of a weird spot it's still pretty intuitive and ergonomic - I like that it still keeps my fingers away from the trigger, unlike the weird trigger guard mag release on the Walther P22.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Sigh, my mark 2 is so ugly with its plastic grips that cannot be changed. It looks like a p89.

Jab, some thoughts:

- if you like your blackhawk, they make a blackhawk in 22 with 22mag coversion cylinder. I love mine, its cheap to shoot yet quality revolver time. The new ones hole like 10 or something, mine just holds 6. Pretty in a different way, but in the words of steve earl, it loads a mite slow.

- Its hard to beat a custom made mark or 22-45 ruger. The next best guns cost a grand and up. However the 22a and buckmark are equal to it. Any of those 3 can be pretty, but the ruger has more parts and such available.

- my ruger is my bullseye pistol. Granted, I am terrible at the sport. But the *gun* is plenty accurate right out of the box; at 25 yards it will easily put every round in a dime sized hole. There is no need to make the gun more accurate and trying to do so will cost more than buying a competition grade pistol in the first place (volquartsen's mark III full pistols for example are like $1500 bucks), but you can make it easier to shoot with a better trigger, and possibly mount a scope or red dot on it. With decent ammo, optics, and trigger, you can build a gun that is sufficient all the way up to introductory competition levels. If you are better than this, or more serious, be prepared to spend big at that point.

- grips for a mark can be had from ugly plastic to beautiful wood to the funny looking ergonomic target grips. Lots of styles, lots of materials. I wish I could put ergos on mine... in the long run I may buy a mark 3 and strip off the lower just to do that.

- If you are interested in a buckmark, let me know.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Sigh, my mark 2 is so ugly with its plastic grips that cannot be changed. It looks like a p89.
Do you have a picture of this pistol? I can't for the life of me find a Mk II with grips like you describe.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That is pretty!

The short bull barrel may be heavy for carry, but it balances nicely. Put a Volquarsten sear in it and you get a crisp 2# trigger pull. I don't know what else you'd want to do to it. The slab-side barrel is almost 1.5" longer, as I recall, which would be my choice unless length is an issue.

G2S
I'd probably want to go with the standard, tapered barrel just to maintain that Luger-ish look. That fluted barrel on the Hunter model looks pretty nice too, though. I imagine either would be capable of more accuracy than I am.

Field-stripping a 22A is a breeze, it feels more balanced...
Heh, I slipped and somehow gashed my hand open on the sharp rear sights on my 22A the first time I took it apart to clean it. Of course, the sudden, sharp pain caused me to jerk and allow one or two parts to fly across the room. Took me about 2 hours - after I got the bleeding stopped - to find the missing piece(s) and put everything back together. Because of that ordeal, I will likely never think of stripping the 22A as 'easy'.

As far as 'balanced', I don't own a Ruger MK but have shot one (the same one I mentioned borrowing from a friend to do a side-by-side with my 22A) quite a bit. Honestly, in my hand it doesn't balance any better or worse than my 22A. I've never held a 22/45, though, and doubt I would be interested in one as it is the 'Luger-like' appearance that appeals to me.

Jab, some thoughts:

- if you like your blackhawk, they make a blackhawk in 22 with 22mag coversion cylinder. I love mine, its cheap to shoot yet quality revolver time. The new ones hole like 10 or something, mine just holds 6. Pretty in a different way, but in the words of steve earl, it loads a mite slow.
Those are nice looking. The problem there is that the Single Six (which I assume is the gun to which you refer) costs pretty much as much as Blackhawks in larger calibers. I wouldn't want to spend that much on a plinker (which is why I would be hesitant about prettying up a .357 BH - I wouldn't want to essentially turn it into a plinker.) I do have the similar (but less refined) Rough Rider convertible but, while I like it, I wouldn't exactly call it a 'pretty' gun.

If I go the rimfire route for my 'pretty' gun, I am fairly set on a Ruger Mk. I actually wanted one when I first bought the 22A but the Smith was (at the time) a good bit less expensive. I like the 22A and will probably keep it for use as a utilitarian pistol but have sort of kicked myself for not getting a Ruger ever since.

I think it's a great idea. A stainless model will hold up to use very well.
In the past I have generally preferred blued/wood guns. However, in the last year or two I am softening my opinion and starting to realize that stainless with wood furniture can be a downright beautiful combination. The more I think about it, though, the more I think I would want to go with a used gun. I am still annoyed enough about Ruger's business practices from the last, couple of years (basically copying the P3AT then claiming they started with a blank sheet of paper, for instance, for the LCP) that I don't really want to buy a new Ruger. Besides, in this category used is usually a decent amount less expensive and it isn't like a Ruger Mk is easy to wear out - especially since I am thinking about changing out some parts to make it nicer to shoot. That does mean, though, that I will probably have to remain open to stainless and blued, both, in order to get the other things I want - although my preference would be for stainless.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Do you have a picture of this pistol? I can't for the life of me find a Mk II with grips like you describe.
It looks like this one. I cannot get at my personal gun right this moment but this shows the grips at least.

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11623

compare to the p89

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_P_series

and mine is even uglier since I knocked off the sights, put a rubber wraparound on the grip, and hung a red dot off it. But all that is forgiven when I shoot it.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Ooooh. That's a Mk II 22/45. I thought you had a regular Mk II. Now I get it. Not the same grip at all compared to a Mk II.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
My 20-something-inch LCD monitor has a permanent ding in it from that Mark II 22/45 I had. Can't remember exactly how, but I was field-stripping/reassembling it on my desk while watching a how-to vid on an "easier" way to do it when the recoil spring came shooting out of the bolt. Monitor was only like a month old at that point - I would've been friggin' devastated if it had cracked the screen. Fortunately, all it did was leave a tiny little dot towards the top that's only visible against bright backgrounds ... such as the bright white background of this very forum as I'm typing this reply. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Ruger is a great gun, the field strip could be easier but it's not too bad. The gun is steel, not Zamac and has a 60+ year track record of durability and reliability. Mags are not pricey and easy to find. I have the 4 3/4" blue taper barrel model JAB and it is a nicely balanced pistol which will eat anything as long as it's 22LR . Mine still has the standard grips but there is some pretty wood out there for these. Altamont for one has some good looking stuff.

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_mark3.php

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You want a pretty Ruger .22? Saw this a while back on a ruger forum.

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/39832-fruit-stripe-gun.html
I couldn't get the pic to come up from your link (have to be logged in, apparently.) I did Google fruit striped gun and found what I believe must be a pic of the same pistol (it was a Ruger .22) Let's just say that isn't exactly to my taste.

I did like the gum when I was a kid. Still buy a pack once every three or four years. "You can't tickle my tongue, zebra."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,

Ruger Mark II or Mark III pistols are my favorite 22s. I own several of them. The Mark II 22/45 with the non-removable grips can be altered to accept any 1911 grips by a guy on the rimfirecentral forum.

This is my latest Mark III 22/45 LITE.

Glenn

·
Registered
21 Posts
ahhhh 22/45 ruger with slab side and all valquartsen including muzzel break with hi viz sights. not a hi standard but it will do lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts