Strange birds at feeder

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by historybuff, Jan 21, 2011.

1. historybuff

historybuff Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Is anyone besides me noticing strange birds at their feeder? I don't mean strange to the area, just strange to see at the feeder; eg., I now have a woodpecker dropping in (didn't even know they would eat seeds), along with doves which have never used my feeder before, as well as others.

Don't tell me it's global warming, it was 9 degrees an hour after sunrise here in KY. :)

Could it just be a result of a harsher than normal winter?

2. illogicalmethod

illogicalmethod Active Member

Jun 7, 2005
    It's likely due to winter... animals will adapt and find food where they need it.

When I lived in Northern Ontario, the winter was driving wolves into the towns, scavenging for food(the bears had the dumps, so the wolves took the towns, I suppose).

3. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    I have suet feeders for the woodpeckers. I only use black sunflower seeds in my feeders. I have seen northern flickers and other woodpeckers run there beaks through the seed, spreading what they do not want all over the ground for the tree rats to eat.
    I havent seen any odd birds at my feeders. The only birds I try to keep out of my feeders are the starlings and grackles. Both nuisance birds.

4. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    We always have had doves feed at our feeders. They stay on the ground and feed on the seed the other birds kick out. The Flicker also stayed on the ground. I try to keep the Starlings and Grackles chased off. They are almost as bad as tree rats.

Life is short, be happy

5. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    Flickers are cool. When they hang on my feeder and try to get a better grip, they flap their wings and you can really see the yellow feathers underneath.

6. jwash3rd

jwash3rd New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    When I lived in Rockford, IL right in the city, I had a window feeder on the second floor and got a red breasted nuthatch every spring and fall. Tiniest little thing, not much bigger than a hummingbird. It was always amazing to see it, but the house finches would drive it (and most everything else) away.

7. Gunite

Gunite Member

Feb 14, 2011
    it's only with a feeder that i get to see some of my more shy birds, like the creepers.

sometimes a few large guys show up, like a pilleated, but it's usually smaller downies and flickers and such

the cardinals are esp funny because they're so furtive. and they peep to themselves like they are absent minded.

unfortunately, the wiseass the moved below me doesn't like birds, or "the mess", so i had to take them down this Winter... they might go up later, but i've lost the heart for now.

8. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

Maybe you can relocate the feeders and view with a wireless webcam ?