stopping power

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rex_dw, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Does anyone have any data about the 380cal (9mm short) in real shooting? FBI, Police etc.

2. clayflingythingy

clayflingythingy New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Go over to stoppingpower.net and cruise the forums there. The Marshall/Sanow data had 380 Win Silvertip at ~70% one shot stops IIRC. 32 Win Silvertip at about ~66% IIRC. Not a lot of difference IMO and one of the reasons I still carry a P32. Marshall and crew at stoppingpower.net are really sold on the Corbon DPX ammo.

3. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks for the link. It looks to me the 380 is not bad of a round for SD. I was guessing most would say the same old thing Location, location, location, better known as shot placement. That of course is inportant. This little weapon is surprise. It is very acurate 20 yardsI could keep 6 shots in a 4 inch circle.

4. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow's work is sportingly referred to as science by some ... others call it bogus and worse.

IF there is any validity, it seems to imply that ALL of the HP rounds were MORE EFFECTIVE than the one FMJ Assume that was American Eagle FMJ which is generally regarded as a pretty effective round.

I remain in Missouri and use both alternated.

5. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I found the Handloads.com website many months ago. I have no way of verifying their data, but I did notice that the "stopping power" of the 380, properly loaded, was generally better than the 38 special in a 2" snub nosed revolver - even for +P+ loads. In 4", and certainly in 6", barrels the 38 special is expected to perform better, based on the data at this website.

At the time I found this site I was contemplating a 38 special snubbie. I ended up with a P3AT and have been happy with my choice.

6. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I agree with your :eek: emoticon!

While this probably has worked into the FMJ/JHP wars before, its the first time I've seen it, and if there is truth to it, it shows a very clear disparity between JHP and FMJ in effectiveness. 67 to 71 percent for JHP, versus 55 percent for FMJ...also considering they are claiming over 200 real world instances of each.

Nic, rethinking his staggered mags....but also thinking how silly he is for changing the order of rounds in his carry mag every time he opens a new KTOG thread

7. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I was not really trying to start the jhp, fmj thing again. ;) I was just wanting something so I could compare yhe 380 to 9mm, 38sp, etc. from real shooting casses. Most of the time the P3 will be a bug.
    Rex

8. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    JHP!

FMJ!

JHP!

FMJ!

JHP!

FMJ!

Oh, come to think of it, that's how I load 'em. ;D

9. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I do not know if is still so but win ST comes 50 round boxes and use to be not to badly priced. If Big IF I can find some and they run in my P3 They may become my carry round. I like being able to shot more than 4 or 5 round of my PD load at the range when I go. Cor-bon Is a bit High to burn 20 or 30 round at the range. I like being able to shot about 50 round cheap and 2 or 3 mag of carry each time I go to the range The ST looks like it is right there with corbon.
    Rex

10. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    It depends where you shoot them whether it stops them or not. During this cold weather, people are wearing heavy coats and shirts. Some jackets are heavy leather. I'm not making any assumption the .380 is a one shot stopper round. I have a hollow point in the tube followed by 6 FMJ's. Lastly, I'm not planning on shooting them in the chest anyway. I've been practicing shooting in the stomach and below the belt area. When they are gut shot, or I crack and break the pelvis or shatter and explode their hip socket .... I'm pretty sure they will stop and fall down in a somewhat rapid fashion. There was a story last year about many the criminals have bought bullet proof vests off places like Ebay. A bullet proof vest has one big weakness ..... Rarely do they protect anything below the belt line. That means the stomach, groin, et all are an open target, and a bigger target than the head. I'll do as I was taught .... shoot until the threat stops.
    Ohio Rusty

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    A big +1 on this!

12. hideit

hideit New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    the military has to use the FMJ
    no wonder the soldiers want the 45acp

if you can't use the JHP then get the biggest bullet you can

13. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Win ST is what I carry in my P3AT. They work just fine. I ordered several boxes from Cheaper Than Dirt. I know the shipping is high but.................

14. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    i believe marshall & sanows studies indicate that the 45 acp FMJ has something like a 64% one-shot-stop-rating - a high quality 380 acp JHP performs better.

15. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Some research, some make choices based on personal experience,
    some make a decision based on both.

There's a lot of info out there and you gotta
    go get it if you want to be informed.

IMO that's the difference between the BG's and the law abiding.

Bobo has done a lot of homework and it's been pasted
    at the top of the P-3AT page.

16. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    If you want the percieved benefits of expanding hollow points, and believe that gell block tests are better than water or wet packs, then BoBo's list of test results points to 3 conclusions IMHO...
    1. do the smiley mod to keep from crushing your hollow points
    2. use hydra-shok as one of your loads
    3. use the P3AT only for light clothing weather carry

That's the "short answer" as I read the test results.

17. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    +1

I can't count how many times these ammo threads (and those wetpack tests) have made me question my ammo choices.

18. ice

ice New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    If you are speaking of stopping power in a defense situation, I personally think the 380 is under estimated.
    I did some test myself with a P3 -AT 380 and was surprised at the penatration of this little round. I`m talking about hard ball ammo.
    Some like to alternate solids and hollow points.
    I don`t know how a person could take a 380 hard ball in the face and still be much of a threat.

19. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    Go to "The Counter" forum and check out the thread on some retard who had a ND and shot his wife. The hollowpoint blew completely through her arm and shattered the bone. The hollowpoint did not expand, possibly because the cavity was clogged with bone. I imagine a chest shot in the vital areas to be quite damaging.