Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious. If you stockpile for shtf, what stuff do you go for, cheap and plentiful fmj would be my guess, but i could see some going for self defense rounds. what do you do?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
My stockpile is mostly lead reloads, loaded a couple thousand 9, 40, and 45s when the shelfs at walmart went dry. I shoot most of the cheap fmjs as fast as i buy it, mostly for a brand new gun purchase.

For my self defence loads them 100rd rem umc boxes will last me for a very long time.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I would agree about the 100 round Rem boxes of jhps. They can be had for less than $30 at WM and have proven reliable in every gun I've tried. A few boxes of them would go a pretty long way.

I just plan on spending about $50 on ammo every pay day to stock up. I mainly want 9mm, 223, 22lr and maybe some 40 and 380. I got rid of my 38 just to help limit the types of ammo I need.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Some guns are picky, so if that's the one you're goin to town with, make sure she has what she wants. Example the S&W M&P 15-22 is really finicky for CCI, My subbie has not a single problem with Win. 40's 165 or 180. So I'd say buy a box of each, test'em, and what she don't like back stow it for something else and stock what she really wants. Not to be morbid, but check and see what the local LEA is using, mine switched from 9mm to .40 cal a little while ago, so that could be an option for either ammo/gun of that type to be "available".

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
AK 47 --7,62x39. Many,many,many.

Sub 2k --9mm " " "

+ .45, .22lr, 44mag .223,.357 mag lots and lots and lots.

Jim

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DARTHPAUL said:
Not to be morbid, but check and see what the local LEA is using, mine switched from 9mm to .40 cal a little while ago, so that could be an option for either ammo/gun of that type to be "available".
totally agree

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
For budget-priced defensive ammo stockpiling, Winchester SXZ's or WWB JHP's (same thing, different colored bullet) would be two other options to consider. SXZ's can be had from Bass Pro for as cheap as $19.97 for a box of 50 - a tad more pricey than the Remington UMC's, but they're a slightly nicer design (basically just repackaged Winchester Silvertips, which were kind of the gold standard for defensive ammo back in the day).

I bought 100 rounds the other weekend on a whim when they FINALLY had some in stock for 9mm, but instead of replacing my Gold Dots, Critical Defense, and/or PDX-1 in my three 9mm carry pistols, I decided to sock away the SXZ's for a rainy day. Those 100 rounds are enough to fill all of my mags, on top of the 150 or so rounds of "premium" ammo I currently have loaded up, plus I usually keep 100 to 200 rounds of FMJ's on hand. Then there's about 200 rounds or so of mil-surp and commercial 7.62x54R that I've had for awhile but never seem to get around to using at all, about 100 rounds of assorted 12-gauge, 100 or so rounds in various loads in .22 WMR, and a bajillion rounds (okay, maybe like 2,000) of .22 LR, mostly in Federal and Winchester bulk HP's.

I'm not preparing for any zombie apocalypse or anything wild like that. I just like to have a decent stock of ammo on hand in case one of my buddies says, "Hey, we're gonna go shootin' tomorrow, wanna come along?" Really sucks having an opportunity to go plinkin' with friends and not having any cash at that given moment to go buy ammo on short notice.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ammo? About a week's supply. Now, what are you preparing for? Once you figure out what you are prepairing for, you'll have an idea how much you need.
I get a box or two at Wallyworld every week. I buy what is a good deal at that time. Rifle, pistol, or shot gun. Doesn't matter.
I have a lot more than I need. Same for food and water. But.....I keep putting more away.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Powder, primers, and JHP bullets I can't make myself out of lead.

And reloads.

The nearest we have come to no shooting because of ammo shortages have occurred in the last 15 years.
Fueled by stupid senseless rumors about dead on date primers Clinton or somebody was going to decree.

And the last election hording shortages, coming up again at the polling place near you.

If you got lead, powder, and primers, it's pretty hard to keep you from shooting anyway when the Wallyworld shelves are bare off ammo.
Again.

rc

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just like in the movies? Always keep one round for yourself :eek:

·
Banned
247 Posts
I have one safe for guns and one for ammo. I keep a couple boxes of hollow points for each gun and then stock up on the cheapest ammo available.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I have one safe for guns and one for ammo. I keep a couple boxes of hollow points for each gun and then stock up on the cheapest ammo available.
Ammo in a safe? Is that a good idea?

Ammo in a fire might make all kinds of fun noise and sparks, but I don't think it's as dangerous as the media would make it out to be. You'd most likely get cut from shrapnel from the cases (if even that), not hurt from bullets flying around without benefit of a chamber and barrel to contain the case pressure.

However, ammo, in a strongly sealed container, like a safe, in a fire, might be a totally different story. A 1000+ lb metal firecracker - not something I'd want to be standing next to!

·
Registered
462 Posts
any good online retailers for 9mm (my p11) and for 45acp (my taurus 24/7 oss)
My first stop is Midway USA as they usually have a large assortment in stock and rarely jerk you around like some other sites.

Ammo in a safe? Is that a good idea?

Ammo in a fire might make all kinds of fun noise and sparks, but I don't think it's as dangerous as the media would make it out to be. You'd most likely get cut from shrapnel from the cases (if even that), not hurt from bullets flying around without benefit of a chamber and barrel to contain the case pressure.

However, ammo, in a strongly sealed container, like a safe, in a fire, might be a totally different story. A 1000+ lb metal firecracker - not something I'd want to be standing next to!
A properly built safe will keep the ammo from cooking off in all but the hottest of fires, and an improperly built safe will experience structural failure before internal pressures reach dangerous levels.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
That is basicly my approch also. Modified to add the reloading angle. Deadman, I agree with your assesment of the ammo-in-the-safe. I even thought of venting my ammo safe, but I'll probably just fireproof it. The guns are in the air/water/fire tight box. A box or two to feed everthing is also in the big safe just to be handy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts