Stock Modification - The Odin Works Zulu

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Missionary, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Mando

Mando Member

May 8, 2020
    You are so right I forgot about that piece, I’ll clean that one up and try and get it drilled and paint it to look nicer. Thanks for jarring my brain loose about the extra piece of buffer tube. HAHA.

dred likes this.
  2. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 6, 2020
    After taking off the factory stock I can't figure out how to remove the pin to use in the modified Zulu buffer tube. It seems to have a groove in it that fits into a plastic nub on the stock that keeps it from sliding out. Is there an easy solution I am overlooking? Thanks in advance!

3. dred

dred Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Gulf Coast Texas
    Depressing that plastic nub slightly allows it to clear the notch in the pin. So press the plastic nub and slide the pin in either direction.

4. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I bought the Zulu stock to install on my Gen 1 Sub 2000. A previous post got me thinking about shimming the bolt tube to fit the Zulu stock so I gave it a try. I had some Kydex 0.06" material laying around from an RV project. I heated it up and wrapped it around the bolt tube and the fit is pretty good. I put two narrow wraps of self-adhering silicone tape around the tube first to make it a little bigger and to give some friction to the Kydex.
    I think that I can get the Kydex to fit a little better and I'll probably get some black Kydex instead of gray to improve the look.
    Anyway, be kind, it's a prototype.
    IMG_0459.jpg

5. Jester

Jester Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Anyone figure out a shim solution yet? I finally got around to cutting down my tube the other day...dragging my feet on the grinding though.

6. ItalyNJC

ItalyNJC Member

Jul 21, 2020
    I actually thought of doing this modification, instead of cutting up the buffer tube provided with the Odin Works Zulu Kit... Were you able to fire this with your mod to see if it held up?

7. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I'll report back this weekend. It seems very solid, even before putting the pin into it.

8. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I took the weapon to the range today and put 50 rounds through it with the Zulu stock.
    The good: it fits me so much better and the cheek weld and sight picture are much improved.
    The bad: the Zulu stock did not grip the Kydex tightly enough to prevent the stock from moving forward on the gun due to recoil. The Kydex itself didn't move at all because the pin holds it in place.
    I moved the stock on the Kydex so the pin prevents recoil from moving the stock and it works really well. I replaced the gray Kydex with a smaller black piece and it looks better too. The new stock position does prevent the stock from folding completely but that doesn't bother me. It would be possible to trim back the rear edge of the Zulu mount to allow full folding, but it still folds enough to fit in the drawer in my camper where I keep it so I'm happy with it.
    IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0468.jpg

9. ItalyNJC

ItalyNJC Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Wonder if going with a thicker (.093) Kydex would help get closer to the mil-spec 1.148” buffer tube diameter? Since the diameter of the KT Gen2 buffer tube appears to be 1"....

10. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 6, 2020
    It's easy enough to try but at least on my Gen1 buffer tube I think that would be too thick. The thickness of the Kydex increases the radius of the tube by its thickness, so the diameter increases by twice that. I also have a small wrap of self-adhering silicone tape under it so my diameter is just about right.

11. Saltlick

Saltlick Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2020
    i would trim it with a dremel and smooth it out to make it fold completely, imo

12. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 6, 2020
    I still haven't ruled out modifying the Zulu buffer tube as described in this thread so I don't want to do anything irreversible until I'm sure that I like the Kydex option, but I agree that trimming the mount would be the way to go if I decide to keep it as is.

Saltlick likes this.