Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been wanting to do this modification for over a year. Been inspired by the ingenuity of many on this board. This is the Zulu from Odin Works. I've included some build pictures below. Requires only a single modification as shown below. Thanks!

EDIT: Member RJR has compiled this thread into a pretty slick PDF Manual for this mod. Check it out!

Single Modification

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I first measured the length of the buffer tube supplied in the above linked kit.

Cutting and Drilling the buffer tube

The buffer tube is ever so slightly too small. It required that it be thinned out. Here is a picture afterwards. This part took the longest. I used the tools shown. A Dremel and a drill.

Here is the modded stop going back in to the stock buffer tube. Prior to installing the Odin Works Zulu on the Sub2000.

Next, I slid the modded buffer tube, over the stock buffer tube, installed my new fully adjustable butt stock, and finished with the replacement of the pin. The sleeve slid on really tight and firm. I love it!

Yes, it still folds...perfectly. Look at those tolerances. :)

LimbSaver. So much better than the OEM stock. Butt pad piece is able to be adjusted both up/down as well as forward and back.

Final Pics

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did it improve your sight picture? Seems like it would, at least so most people wouldn't have to crane their neck as much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did it improve your sight picture? Seems like it would, at least so most people wouldn't have to crane their neck as much.
I was hurrying to get this far, before I left this week for work. The thought that it will though, was obvious the moment I put it to my shoulder. I'll reply back, once I've gotten to put it through its paces.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If anyone is interested I could probably make a bolt on stock for the sub2000 like this that would still retain the locking mechanism and allow it to completely fold. Just need to know if anyone's interested before I spend to much time on it.
It is pretty close to bolt on as presented. Definitely fewer steps than my Minimalist retrofit, and apparently just as (maybe more) effective.

My only question is cheek weld comfort. My cheek rests on the poly of the minimalist. I'm wondering if that pinch connection on the tube lands in a convenient spot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, got some time with it this afternoon. Immediately, I noticed the comfort as I pressed it in to my shoulder. As soon as it's shouldered, pulling it in nice and tight, feels really good. The included LimbSaver butt pad grabs the form of your shoulder quickly. Once it's there, because it's rubber with a mild amount of tack to it...ZERO movement! That's when I realized just how much fuss the OEM stock was presenting when attempting to acquire a target. Plastic, slippery, too short, etc. The Zulu, as soon as it's to my shoulder, I've a firm, reliable pivot point, speeding up how quickly I can get on target.

The sight picture, meh. I wanted it to be better. Then, I realized I hadn't done any vertical adjustments, and that's where the whole game changed. I moved it down (as shown below) which equally raised the natural position of the S2K. Guess what? Over and over and over, the sight picture is right where you want it to be, without needing to press your face in to the buffer tube, it's right there.

Conclusion. The rifle design is outstanding. It's the stock that's creating the mess. I am so pleased with this product, what its corrected, the minimal modification it required and zero compromises with folding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My only question is cheek weld comfort. My cheek rests on the poly of the minimalist. I'm wondering if that pinch connection on the tube lands in a convenient spot.
With the increased height of the Odin Works stock, combined with the additional vertical adjustment I (eventually) made, one would immediately notice not needing to go in as deep with their cheek.

Shouldered, the S2K now sits a touch taller, eyes line up in the sights quicker, my cheek sits further back on the buffer tube as the new stock provides for increased LOP. Ultimately, my cheek touches the larger flat area at the top of the stock mount. (below)

With the radius of the stock mount being wider than the buffer tube, It's a measurably more comfortable than the OEM stock. Though, likely nowhere near what you've achieved. (y)

There are those times when I'll take it to the range for a couple hundred rounds. That might likely be an entirely different story, maybe a new solution? I'll report back.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I take it that the clamp will not simply fit onto the existing buffer tube:

Odin Works Zulu Stock.jpg

Is the existing buffer tube too small/clamp to large diameter??? I realize something would have to be done to keep the recoil spring/plug in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If anyone is interested I could probably make a bolt on stock for the sub2000 like this that would still retain the locking mechanism and allow it to completely fold. Just need to know if anyone's interested before I spend too much time on it.
I'd be interested for sure. What do you think the ball park, out the door, price would be?

·
Registered
170 Posts
It would probably be close to the same price as the Zulu stock, but can't say for sure yet. I'll try to get some work done on it soon. I need to get magazine base plates and a Nikon Spur mount done for the Pmr-30 first. I just purchased everything needed to get some measurements taken to make a prototype.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If anyone is interested I could probably make a bolt on stock for the sub2000 like this that would still retain the locking mechanism and allow it to completely fold. Just need to know if anyone's interested before I spend too much time on it.
Interested for a Gen 1, if the version matters

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely interested. Estimate on pricing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I take it that the clamp will not simply fit onto the existing buffer tube:

View attachment 44622

Is the existing buffer tube too small/clamp to large diameter??? I realize something would have to be done to keep the recoil spring/plug in place.
You are correct and, the standard size AR-15 buffer tube is just a bit too thick to just slide on to the sub2000 buffer tube. Had to make it a touch bigger, until it was just big enough to tap into place.

After that, the Zulu slides on, and you pin the rear buffer assembly (recoil spring/plug) as normal.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts