still target practicing or sitting on ammo ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bodean, May 11, 2009.

1. Bodean

Bodean New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    this is getting old,  i want to take out a couple box's of ammo and do some good old target practice, hate to shoot it if i can't replace it.  do i leave this gun just sit ? are all the other pistol ammo as hard to get as the 380 ? i am having withdrawl

2. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    i havent been to the range in months.... when i find.. i buy..... when i want to go to the range..... i go fishing....but its not gonna hold me off forever... somethings gotta give here..

3. veni_vidi_vici

veni_vidi_vici New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I am done until this bubble pops and supply catches up with demand in 3-6 months then I will stock up when all the d..........s try to unload at the same time  ;) and then everyone here will be in ****ing contests about who just got the best ammo deal. So I am not shooting any of my ammo nor am I buying any. Obama bin laden is in no position to ban anything right now or in the near future.  [​IMG]

4. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Still practicing shotgun, .38 (with ammunition from Tennessee -- saints bless the Trading Post) and .22 (from of the last brick of Federals sold in this town). Sitting on my 25 remaining .380s. I'm thinking of going up to Hornady's and camping on their doorstep.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Both actually. Kinda sitting on my .380 and 9mm ammo but still shooting my .44mag & spec., my .22, .50 percussion BP rifle and adult air rifle. Also, practice with my blowback Glock 26 airsoft pistol (actually got it before getting my real Glock 26). The airsoft is great for practicing indoors, doing fast draws and up close point and shoot stuff. I'd really like to have a .22 "P3AT" or quality airsoft "P3AT".

Take care...

6. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    What I do is keep a minimum number of rounds in stock. I found 9mm blazers at ww the other day and bought 200 rounds. (I used the house-hold bank card, went home and rolled up coins to pay the 'house' back, really :(m ) Now I have about 400 rounds above the minimum that I can shoot. I just don't drop below the magic number. You can always find shot shells and pigens are cheap. :)

7. JB

JB Guest

This past Saturday, I found one box of Hornady Critical Defense in .38 Special at the Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop.  There was no other .38 Special ammo in the place and the only reason I got that box was that someone had obviously picked it up and put it back in the wrong place (was with the rifle ammo.)  When I took it to the counter, the clerk said, "Where in the heck did you find that?"  I told him and he kind of chuckled.  Another customer, seeing only that it was Critical Defense, asked if it was .380.  The clerk replied along the lines that I would have had to fight my way to the checkout counter if it had been .380.  The price on that box of .38 Special was actually better than I have seen other places - $19.99.  That won't be going for target practice, of course, but I did manage to find three boxes of .38 Special FMJ at a local WalMart a couple of weeks ago.  The Sporting Goods clerk said they had only received eleven boxes of .38 since Chrismas, including those three, so even that target ammo will be reserved for a 'special occasion'.

I also picked up 4000 rounds of ammo at WalMart last Saturday for less than $5.  Of course, the 'ammo' was zinc-plated steel BBs for my Daisy 1911-style, semiauto BB pistol.  Also picked up a box of CO2 cartridges for it.  Not as much fun as something that goes 'bang' but should be good for filling in around what little real target practice I get to do, now.  Also, my nephew is really into Airsoft and has several Airsoft-type carbines and handguns.  He let me borrow one of his pistols and I will be using it for target practice, too.  That combined with some .22 and maybe a little 9mm practice (I have a pretty good stash of 9mm ammo) will hopefully keep the edge off until the supply starts returning to normal.

8. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    I have cut down on my shooting, but not completely stopped. I am stunned by the prices these days, ATG has WWB 100rds for $58 bucks thats is stunning in itself
    mike

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I had been going the range about twice a month. Haven't gone for 6 months now. I'm hording the ammo I have. If and when it becomes more available and less pricey I'll start up again. Until then - a lot of dry firing is in order...

Bobo

10. c0wbois_girl

c0wbois_girl New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I've had a really good stock up strategy in place for awhile now.. it's called 2 kids and no baby sitter. I wish I had time to be practicing, but I don;t know if I can even remember the last time I went to the range. Actually quite horrifying... but on the plus side, I do have a reasonable amount of ammo should the need arise. Hopefully supply will come back up and I've found myself a sitter by then. ;D

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm shooting as little as possible. I'll have to do some when my PF-9 slide comes back from KT. But I'm sitting on my .380 ammo. I sure wish I could find some at a decent price. :'( The last place I'll ever buy any is GunBroker. Have you guys seen what they're getting for .380?!? What is this world coming too?

12. Mike_Patton

Mike_Patton New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Good advice, lop - that's what I did. Bought a shotgun and started shooting skeet and sporting clays. That plus judicious use of the thousands of rounds of .22LR I have tend to keep me mostly satisfied. Well, I *do* have to shoot my new .40 SUB-2K from time to time, and the 1911 gets its feelings hurt if I don't at least put a couple of mags through it when I go to the range ;-) I'm still in fine shape on .40, but down to a couple of hundred in .380, so the P3-AT mostly stays at my side when I go to the range.

13. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    A couple weekends ago I borrowed a couple guns from my brother-in-law, one was a .38 special. I had no ammo for it. I went down to the indoor range to shoot it and they would only sell me ONE box of 50 .38 special ammo, so I could only put 50 through it. It's tough for the shooting ranges too... if we can't get ammo and THEY can't get ammo, they will go out of business! No ammo at Wally World for at least a few months here. Its only getting worse...

14. Transman

Transman New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I still shoot regularly and can usually replace what I use up fairly qickly.I live close to Georgia Arms,and have found that most week around Thursday,I can go by and pick up 100 rounds.Price has gone up to 16.95/50 but I'm not complaining.I've been able to maintain a good stash even though they're rationing it.38's seem to be the hardest round to find round here right now.

15. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't shoot often but I still shoot. When I get low on ammo, then I'll stop. Ammo is meant to be shot and just sitting on it doesn't do any good. I'm sitting on about 300 rds of .380 FMJ so I shoot a few every now and then. My LCP is not exactly fun to shoot anyway so I do my fun shooting with other guns. I've got a Beretta Neos .22 that's a lot of fun and cheap to shoot. I've been slowly working through an old bag of 200 gun show reloads in my PF-9 and have a few boxes of 9mm and .45ACP FMJ from where I buy a box whenever I find any on the shelf. I'm hanging onto my JHP though. I've got a very small stash of hollow points for each gun I own and those are for defensive use only. I probably don't shoot as much as I would otherwise but I'm not letting the shortages keep me from enjoying my guns!

16. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Until you run out!

I cut down my shooting with my .380 and 9 mm's and really only shoot what I reload. I guess because I know I can reload it.

I also have about 300 rounds but every so often I'll take my 3at out and put a mag or 2 just for practice and call it good.

17. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    What I mean is I find enough here and there to support my admittedly infrequent shooting outings. When I do shoot, I shoot conservatively and prefer my .22 but I'm willing to enjoy what I have for now. When it gets to the point where I can't buy any more and my reserve gets low, I'll stop shooting and save what I have for defensive use. I want to have enough FMJ to qualify when my CC permit runs out and a few mags of hollow points. My brother has a friend whose father bought 5000 rds of each caliber he owned when the big O was elected president. Sitting on a stash of that much ammo won't do any good unless you sell it for a profit after there is no more available.

;DKeep your eyes on the 'Other Guns' board for an upcoming announcement - I get to pick it up on Tuesday! ;D
    My stash of 9mm will probably be taking a hit very soon. :cool:

18. armybrat

armybrat New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Got lucky this morning - walked into the Academy in Round Rock (Texas) right after they put out their latest ammo delivery. They had 8 boxes of Monarch 94 gr JHP .380. I bought two @ $15.99 and left the rest becuz I'm a nice guy.

Actually, I also bought two WWB .38 Sp 158 gr FMJ ($18.99/50...ouch!) and a Mega Pack (250 rounds) of Remington .45 230 gr FMJ for $97.99.

Am gonna shoot the .380 up next range trip - never have run Monarch thru a semi before. However, it appears this Serbian ammo must work ok, as those folks have been shooting the crap out of each other for the past few decades.

Anyone here have any issues with this brand .380?

19. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I bought a box of Monarch .380 and my LCP ate it up with no failures. I think the rounded nose helps it feed more smoothly compared to the WWB flat-nosed .380 FMJ. I found some at the Academy at College Station a couple of weeks ago and bought two boxes and left the rest.

20. glove

glove New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Ohio
    Hello
    Not shooting as much as I like to hope this ammo shortage is over soon. >:(
    Dave