Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out last week, the PMR-30 makes a rather fine Steel Challenge pistol. Simply on a hunch, I took it to Monday's shoot, after fastidiously loading the two magazines with 25 rounds each. I had only two failures (misfires) during the match, and so didn't fare any worse than anyone else, while shooting a gun with far more growl. I find the sights near-perfect for shooting steel. Naturally, I'm not as fast as I am with my optically sighted Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, but I feel that will come with time. Biggest problem is finding ammo, plus the cost factor. So much fun though, I'm using it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I used the PMR-30 for the last time on steel, yesterday. Can't find any .22 mag ammo, and don't wanna use my last 3 boxes, just yet. Gun ran perfectly and I had several perfect rounds, including when our rangemaster used the 3" stop plate. Ammo may become prevalent again after the election.:gaah: Well, back to the Mark IV, as I've still got a ton of .22LR.;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Maybe alot after the election. I expect the leftists/anarchists to go bonkers and anything that is available will dry up again. I hope I'm wrong.

The first thought I had about using a .22 mag for SC was the expense with no upside over .22LR that I can see.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know a lot of people are mad at wally world for their decisions on gun sales, but I have been having excellent luck finding 22wmr at several of them. Mostly CCI 40 grain. I've seen 150 round boxes of Winchester but I pass on them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thought I had about using a .22 mag for SC was the expense with no upside over .22LR that I can see.
The "upside" for me, was only the fact that I haven't shot the PMR a bunch, and in fact had only about 150 rounds through it since I bought it, so it was a chance to use it in competition. Using it at the Steel Challenge, even at 3 times the cost, was....well, a challenge, with it's non-optical sights, more recoil and blast over the .22LR, totally different handling, and I actually got pretty good with it at the last shoot. I feel it's likely to have shortened the times I'll now get with my Mark IV, when I go back to that on Monday.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The "upside" for me, was only the fact that I haven't shot the PMR a bunch, and in fact had only about 150 rounds through it since I bought it, so it was a chance to use it in competition. Using it at the Steel Challenge, even at 3 times the cost, was....well, a challenge, with it's non-optical sights, more recoil and blast over the .22LR, totally different handling, and I actually got pretty good with it at the last shoot. I feel it's likely to have shortened the times I'll now get with my Mark IV, when I go back to that on Monday.
Yeah, all of that would be an upside. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts