Steel case ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by VectorFL, Dec 27, 2010.

1. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    So, I'm stolling threw WalMart today. As I do whenever I'm in WalMart, I stroll past the ammo counter to see what's in stock. I see one box of 380 in stock. "I'll take it", I tell the guy and he puts it in a bag and I pay. When I get home and pull it out, I notice that I just purchased a box of 91 GR. FMJ, steel case, berdan primed. I did a search and found a few negative and some not so negative comments on steel case ammo. It's totally new to me. I've never fired any in my P3AT.
    Just wondering what others thought of steel case ammo. Also, what does Berdan Primed mean?

2. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    Most European and communist bloc military ammunition remains Berdan-primed

heres a good web site that explians it

http://www.ehow.com/list_6658411_tools-reload-berdan-primed-brass.html

PS: I got some of the same ammo and going to try it soon and what I read its dirty but cheap and I clean my gun after every outing, but may change my mind after I shot some..LOL

3. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    when I got my p3, it came with this nifty little owners manual. If I'm not mistake, it said no steal cased ammo. My Kimber also says not to carry it in condition 1. Go figure.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Some ranges don't want you using steel case ammo.

I prefer brass or nickel plated cases for carry ammo. Nothing wrong with steel case for target ammo if your range doesn't pitch a hissy over it.

5. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I try not to steal my ammo.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Stay away from steel cased ammo in any Kel-Tec firearm. Kelt-Tecs were engineered for brass ONLY. The steel cases put more stress on the gun, especially the extractor. Steel case rims cause excessive wear on the extractor leading to failure often breaking the extractor.

The rule of thumb holds true: Only use steel cased ammo in Eastern Block countries or forearms still made in former Eastern Block countries. This means AKs, SKSs, Springfield XDs, CZs, etc. These guns were designed to use steel ammo and have much larger extractors, etc.

7. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1 to what Bill said.

I think the owners manual has "No non standard ammo"   I called KT a couple years ago and they told me that anything other than brass is considered non standard to them.   So they reccomend brass ammo only.

If you only shoot that box I don't think you'll have any problems with your P3 but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Edit: Copied from the P3 manual-"Never use nonstandard, reloaded or damaged cartridges."

CJ

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    The steel used in the cases is softer than the steel the pistol is made from so damage to the extractor isn't an issue. I've shot steel case ammo from many of my guns without damaging the extractor.

But the steel case is not as elastic as a brass case so it doesn't seal the chamber as well when firing so it shoots dirtier. Also, steel is a pain and hated by many reloaders.

I looked around for a quote from a KT employee and here it is in a SUB9/SUB2000 thread, no detailed clarification of the "why" just a declaration of the what, "non-standard" like CJP said.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1222966478/15#19

Now, how many of you people out there who won't use steel cases will still use reloads?

I do have to say I also consider aluminum case ammo to be highly undesirable and I'll throw the aluminum case stuff away before I'll ever shoot it.

10. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    i shot a box and a half of wolf and had to get a new extractor :(

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That is exactly correct. We have been told by KT engineers and service techs alike, many times, that they consider steel and aluminum to be "non-standard ammunition. When asked they will only recommend factory, brass-cased ammo.