status of new p3at's

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by moonshot, Dec 25, 2008.

1. moonshot

moonshot New Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah everyone.

I've been off this board for some time. I sold my P3at due to slide peening issues, and haven't been able to do much towards buying another. In part - I've been very busy. In part - I've been waiting for more info regarding the Ruger LCP.

What is the overall consensus regarding the new P3at's? Are the slides still peening around the recoil guide rod hole? Trigger pins walking out? I loved the size to weight ratio, but I kept hearing of P3at's developing reliability issues, and I lost confidence in it. However, I miss having mine, and would like to buy another. I have re-defined my expectation for this pistol, but I still want the confidence of believing it will fire at least one full magazine without fail whenever it may be called upon to do so.

On a side note, even though this is the KT board, what is the opinion on the P3at vs the LCP? If one will be your primary pistol (at least at times), which would you all pick, and why?

Finally, if there is a serial number range to avoid, what is it?

I apologize for these questions, but my search is not working. Thanks.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Still the same.

you still have a chance you will have to add a 5c washer, push a pin in, file a little, replace a spring or even send it back ;)

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Just my opinion, no statistics to back it up...

It seems to me that the ratio of no-problem range reports to problem range reports has increased. Because of this unscientific observation I believe that getting a new P3AT will increase the likelyhood of getting a trouble free gun as compared to one of a year or two ago.

BTW my J2Rxx has slide peening that has been stopped, as best as I can tell after hundreds of more rounds through it, by the addition of the nylon washer. This particular gun also had extraction problems right out of the box which was fixed by a new extractor from Kel-Tec. Also had mag drop problems fixed by a metal mag release. My more recent JPMxx has not had any problems at least for these first few hundred rounds that I now have through it.

Take care...

4. kitsap_charly

kitsap_charly New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    The design makes these guns touchy to make. Everything is no thicker than necessary, no heavier than it has to be. This means everything has to be done just about right with not much leeway for "about" or "close enough" This is why the Chinese haven't made cheap knock-offs. Only Ruger felt they had the skills to rip off the design successfully. So far, they're not doing too well.
    Another site recently ran a poll on happiness among LCP qwners. If I remember rightly: 70% were basically happy but the other 30% had issues ranging from problems to won't work. Don't know if a similar poll has been held for P-3ATs but considering how well they keep selling a guess is probably a great deal better. Ruger may end up finding out that this design was not a good one to copy. Presumably they couldn't design anything as good themselves. ::)
    I'd stick to the KT and that's what I carry. :)

5. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Just blew through 300+ rounds of mixed ball and hollow points over Christmas with ZERO malfunctions from several different shooters. I did nothing in the way of "fluff and buff" beyond running a bunch of snap caps through it and cleaning and lubing it before shooting. Never cleaned or lubed it again until after those 300+ rounds were flawlessly fired. I was AMAZED. No peening, no malfunctions, no problems...nothing! This P3AT came brand new to me in November with my old 1st gen serial number stamped on it. Both Kel-Tec AND me could not get that thing running reliably, so after all these years, I finally said, "What the heck!" and just sent it in on the hopes they'd replace it with a new 2nd gen one for FREE since 1st gen parts (especially hard chromed ones) are probably very few and far between these days. And, apparently, I was right. ;) Easier to toss the old one and stamp the old serial number on a new pistol.

Also, I LOVE the new hammer block which prevents short stroking the trigger by dropping the hammer from the first "click", thereby requiring the slide to be racked to reset the hammer. Now, all you have to do is "let go" all the way and squeeze again to fire.

6. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm not so sure it's because of the design. I think importation issues/bans have a MUCH bigger impact as to why the Chinese didn't copy the P3AT. ;)

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I beg to differ, in a huge way.  The peened slides were ALL on guns made during a several month period 2 years ago.  That has long been corrected and has not reoccurred at all that I have seen.  Read through this forum and I think you can tell the difference.  "Push a pin, file a little, replace a spring?"  I haven't seen that either - not worth mentioning.  The current crop of P3ATs are the best ever (period).  The fit and finish is far better than earlier guns.  Rarely do we see one that needs service.  Like I said, look back through this forum.  Then go back a few years and check some pages.  Clearly, the guns made today are far superior than even the earlier 2nd gen guns, let alone the 1st gen. I don't what KT has done. Perhaps they have tightened standards for vendors, changed some manufacturing specs, QC procedures or something. But the difference is very obvious.

8. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    And I highly agree with this based on the wonderful "out of the box" performance with my new P3AT I received in November.

The only thing that sucks about it is the accuracy. Naaah...couldn't possibly be the shooter...must be the gun! ;D

9. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    My P3AT has performed very well out of the box with the occasional stove pipe which was unfailingly after 30+ rounds through it, and before I did a minor F&B 200 rounds ago. As stated above all major issues have been fixed and <coughs> it is drop safe. I love my P3AT so much I am having a hard time not just buying another one even though I am considering a PF9. :eek:

10. red71

red71 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Just picked up two an and both have been flawless out of the box!

11. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Have had my P3AT for almost 2 yrs, didn't know about this forum, didn't clean it or anything, just started shooting Rem lead, probably 200 or so rds, couple boxes of Corbon 90's I think, couple hundred rds of winchester white box, and around 50 Golden Sabres, (my carry ammo) still no problem, but have since done some fluff and buff, and clean often, and oil often. Recently bought 100 rds of Hornady Critical Defense, and if it works like all the rest, it will be my primary carry, especially in the winter. Jim <>< got my P32 yesterday, for a spare, if ever needed, did a big time fluff & buff on it. anxious to get to the range.

12. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    And I highly agree with this based on the wonderful "out of the box" performance with my new P3AT I received in November.

The only thing that sucks about it is the accuracy.  Naaah...couldn't possibly be the shooter...must be the gun!  ;D[/quote]

I got mine in November too. And I agree that it performs great. First 100 rounds, one FTE. But the accuracy. I know it must be a problem with the gun. And can not possibly be the gunner. [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

13. dmciver

dmciver New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I purchased my P3AT in November as well and today passed the 300 round milestone.  250 Winchester FMJ's and 50 Magtech HP's.  I have experienced 0 problems to date.  Actually, I have had one problem.  I have been unable to find another P3AT locally as I have been so impressed with the firearm that I want to add a 2nd.   ;)

14. arhdc

arhdc New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Just thought that I would add to the data pool a bit.  I recently brought a new P3AT with SN KO___ (so seemingly it is of recent manufacture) and am very impressed with the function of it so far.  I have put about 100 rounds of various ammunition through it with only one minor jam where an empty case got caught in the breach as it was closing.  The jam only required a minor slide tug to correct and seems like a fluke.  Like I said, no real earth shattering news but more data in the sample id always good and good reports are always helpful to me when researching a product.

15. rpm

rpm New Member

Nov 26, 2007