Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a p3at through gunbrokers.com in March. The dealer sold it as NIB and I was very excited to get the gun. Everything looked great in the box; it arrived with all the proper packing. But at the range, it would consistently FTE. Changing the ammo didn't help. After contacting KelTec I decided to send it in.

That was 6 weeks ago. I understand the KT shop has been short on gunsmiths. When I called today to check its progress I was told they MIGHT get to it this week, "no more than 2 weeks".

1 of the reasons I took a chance with this gun was because I'd understood KT had stellar customer service. But, 8 weeks is a long time to wait for repair of a brand new gun. Maybe I'm just anxious to get back a gun I was very excited to get in the first place. I'm really starting to question my initial decision to try KelTec.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
call em now, press 7& give em your ser.#... Why didn't you follow ktog ? Clean it lube it for 200 rounds till its broken in?

tell em you've waited long enough.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
I bought a p3at through gunbrokers.com in March. The dealer sold it as NIB and I was very excited to get the gun. Everything looked great in the box; it arrived with all the proper packing. But at the range, it would consistently FTE. Changing the ammo didn't help. After contacting KelTec I decided to send it in.

That was 6 weeks ago. I understand the KT shop has been short on gunsmiths. When I called today to check its progress I was told they MIGHT get to it this week, "no more than 2 weeks".

1 of the reasons I took a chance with this gun was because I'd understood KT had stellar customer service. But, 8 weeks is a long time to wait for repair of a brand new gun. Maybe I'm just anxious to get back a gun I was very excited to get in the first place. I'm really starting to question my initial decision to try KelTec.
Well, it's a little late now for this advice, but it's commonly recommended to run 100-200 rounds of FMJ through it for a break-in.

It's pretty common for new guns to be cantankerous and especially so for the pocket-rocket .380's such as the P3AT and the LCP.

8 weeks turnaround certainly feels like a long time but it is "only" 2 months when you get right down to it and, further, is not out of line with the rest of the gun industry right now. Seems that every body and his dog is buying two guns. Every manufacturer is running flat-out at the moment just to keep up with demand. If there's been any "real" job growth in the economy lately, it's been in the firearms industry. :)

In your shoes, at this point, I'd probably telephone Kel Tec (not email) and ask the progress of my gun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'd just got off the phone with the shop before the 1st post.

After loading the magazine and racking the slide the gun would fire 1 round and FTE. Of my first 5 magazines, I was once able to get two rounds of simultaneously. Every other shot, I had to manually eject the spent cartridge and rack a new one in.

I took the gun home & followed Golden Loki's instructions to the best of my ability for a basic fluff and buff (field stripped).

I return to the range & used a different ammo with absolutely no improvement. At this point I decided I was over my head, expecially with a new gun and contacted KelTec. If I bought the gun used or felt more confident with my own gunsmithing, I would have tinkered the problem out myself. But even ina new gun this seemed excessive. I was looking forward to working through a couple hundred rounds for a reasonable break in. But manually feeding them all 1 at a time seemed indicative of a much bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What exactly do you mean by FTE ?

Failure to Extract (spent round remains in the chamber) or Failure to Eject (spent round is pulled from the chamber, hangs up in the ejection port in some variation of "stovepipe") ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pinstriper said:
What exactly do you mean by FTE ?
Thanks, Pinstriper. These were failures to extract. If I manually racked through a magazine of rounds, each extracted as it should. But with a trigger pull, no such luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Keltec Forum

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
oh, we'll , when ya get it back, you'll love it. I have had one there too for 5 weeks. It sure runs 100% with my reloads. I shoot it 4 to 5 times a week. The second kt380 spit couple days and went straight, it runs the same. Ditto the kahr380..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
These were failures to extract.
Pretty much what you can do about FTExtracts:

1) Polish the chamber a bit (included in F&B).
2) Change out the extractor spring (easy, parts for free).
2a) Check the extractor spring screw is tightened all the way down (easy).
3) Change out the extractor (easy, parts for free).
4) Modify the extractor if it is grabbing insufficiently (advanced, can easily go wrong).
5) Send it to the factory (shipping costs around $50, *may* be picked up by KT if the gun is under warranty)

The PF-9 guys have added a theorized a stronger extractor spring would help, and have developed the trick of doubling up the extractor spring. I don't think I've heard of anyone doing this on a P3AT.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How long have you been shooting semi-auto pistols, particularly these small "pocket rockets"?

Could you be having a "limp-wrist" problem? Did you have someone else shoot it, someone more experienced with small high caliber pistols? These little buggers tend to kick harder and are much more sensitive to a "limp-wrist" condition than their larger & heavier cousins. (It doesn't take much) -- They also tend to require more break-in before they run as designed.

Hopefully you will soon get it back from KT and it will run fine from now on.

It is quite interesting that it seems like a disproportionate number of Kel-Tec guns tend to require one or more trips back to the mother ship before they run as intended. - My P-11 is the only gun I've ever had to send back. It took two trips back to KT as well as some work on my part before it ran like it should.

It is good that KT's customer service reps treated me EXCELLENT, or I would've been really down in the company. As it is, I have lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the P-11. However, this gun has never failed to fire whenever I pulled the trigger and I am confident that it will work if I ever need it in an emergency, so I still carry it occasionally when my clothing attire requires something smaller and lighter.

Let us know how it works out for you when you get it back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back when I got my P3AT, around 5 years ago, I had to send mine in for some feed ramp work. It was gone for a little over ten weeks. It was fixed perfectly, however, and has never failed with anything since. KT has good customer support, but don't expect a fast turnaround. On the extraction issue, I have a Ruger LCP that did the same thing. It took a new barrel to cure it. I'll bet KT does the same for you. Polishing the chamber can sometimes help out, but I think that any auto should extract every time, limp wrist or not. Failure to eject, however, can be associated with limp wristing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to each of you for the encouragement.

I did a lot of research & shot a bunch of .380s before committing to the p3at. A couple of local experienced shooters I regard highly raved about it and carry it as their own EDC. It's my 1st pocket rocket. I'm just disappointed with its initial performance. Then, the long wait.

I'll just chill til it comes home and run a few boxes through it. But, really hope they find a problem; gonna feel foolish if it ends diagnosed as resulting from a bad case of limp wrist.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
bluewater, what did they say was wrong with feed ramp? did they change out anything else. They usually get em running. They said they put a new frame in mine.

tips from ktog,ccr, & local gunshop. (I an a novice)
(1) I took some tips off here and I think I have the best way/cure for polishing feed ramp. Suprisingly it has stayed that way after 400 flat nose homebuilt rounds for my kt380.

(2) keep inside barrel bone dry.

(3) all my mags sent to ccr, stripped down to bare metal and plated with their stuff. Now with LP or CLP on them, I think it has really lent to performance. Some might say "oh yea sure" but after oiling these and spending time with them in your fingers, you'll see. These little tips add up!

(4) photo below; I moved trigger back with hair dryer and needle nose, I am going more next time.

(5) if kt pistol is stock and will not run after 250 rounds with lube, send it in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had same problem, sent it back, they have great customer service. But they are busy, been 4 weeks & 4 more they told me yesterday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mikelecka - On mine, they did a little more machining on the feed ramp. It looked like they actually angled it a little more. Whatever they did certainly worked. In the four and a half years since I got it back it has not had any type of malfunction with any ammo. I'll guess I've put about 400-500 rounds through since then.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I feel for you. Buying anything and having it not work sucks. No matter the reason. So I understand he frustration.

I bought mine some time ago. Found this forum before I bought.

Mine was one of those problem child. It took 3 trips back but has been fantastic after that. I carry daily and have put at least 1,000 rounds though it with no failures.

So know they will get it right and it can be made to be a great carry gun.

When I bought mine it was the only 380 in it's class. To do it over I most likely would stick with it over the S&W and the Ruger. All little 380's have had there issues. Seems to come with the power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just had the same problem and KT issued a call tag. Put 200 round through it and every mag had a failure to extract. Cleaned and oiled it 3 times during the process. KT said they replaced the grip, slide, barrel, springs, and mag release. Cant wait to get it back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, Day 61 (since shipment):

Yesterday, KelTec told me they are starting to work on items received around the time my P3AT was delivered (3/26). The tech couldn't give me specific info on it, but assured me that it was most like 'on one of (their) gunsmith's desk' at that time.

They must REALLY be behind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good to hear, I am glad mine worked fine out of the box. Are they gonna cover shipping both ways?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts