Squirrel Rifle

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by red_arrow, May 11, 2011.

1. red_arrow

red_arrow New Member

May 8, 2011
    I've been racking my brain trying to pick a new squirrel rifle. Was looking at the ruger 10/22, but I've had bad luck with them before. Saw the su-22 online tonight and I really like the looks of it. To those that own one, are the sights good enough for a squirrel rifle. Also are they accurate enough for head shots?

2. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Not in my experience. My iron sights are literally unusable. A scope of any type, even a cheap one, would do fine.

3. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    If all you are looking for is a squirrel riffle the SU-22 is not the best choice.  If you need the option of the folding stock to say back-pack in then yes you can not go wrong.  I have both with cheap scopes and I shoot the same with either. The reason I bought the SU-22 was because it folded and will fit under the seat of my Honda Sliverwing.  After I did a quick trigger job on the Su-22 the trigger is 2.5# lighter than my stock 10/22. If you are against the 10/22 a Marlin 60 would my next choice for just a squirrel riffle. Now if you like making cans bounce around the range the fun factor of the SU-22 is hard to beat. :)

4. firedog

firedog New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I was not impressed with the iron sights on the SU22. After some adjustments I was able to bounce cans at 50-75 yards not a problem. For Squirrel hunting, consistent head shots would be questionable. I put a cheap little scope on it and I’m X’ing regularly at 75-100 yards. Still a fun little gun...

5. parrothead

parrothead New Member

May 28, 2011
    You might want to check out the Remington 597 for squirrel hunting. Get one of the newer models without the plastic magazine. I think the su-22 is more of a range gun than a hunter. Just my opinion

6. r80rt

r80rt Guest

I never had good luck with a Ruger 10-22 either, I'd like to try a SU-22 on tree rats.