Square zip-pouch for P3AT and Uncle Mike's #1

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by NCERRN, Aug 4, 2008.

1. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I like the P3AT in an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster. Has anyone found a good, near-perfect size square zip-up pouch to keep this combo in? I'd like to keep the gun/holster in a pouch when not in use or when being carried around off my body.

I've looked at gunshops and even in the make-up depts at Wal-Mart and Target.

2. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    KT used to include one when they were using the cardboard boxes. Was yours NIB, did it come in the plastic box? Just wondering if they quit the pouch when they changed boxes. :-/

3. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    No pouch, just the square plastic box, yes NIB. Ive currently got a standard teardrop pistol zip-pouch for it, but its much larger than needed due to the teardrop shape versus the square shape of the P3 and UM#1 combo. Its the smallest teardrop pouch that would fit, yet still has too much space and rather large due to the whole square peg in a round hole thing. I was hoping someone had found a square pouch thats fits this combo perfectly, since the P3 and UM#1 combo is so popular.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  6. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    A small camera case works well and adds concealment. Check the WalMart camera department.

7. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
  8. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    NO, not the socially unacceptable fanny pack! :-/

Mugg me please . . . :cool:

9. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Just call KT and tell them yours was missing. They may send you one no charge, or for a few bucks at best.

10. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Cremator, looks like they quit the pouch when they switched to the pastic box. 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other I guess :-/.

11. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Thanks for all your responses! Some very good ideas that I hadnt thought of and may be good considerations for others as well!

I really like that! I had a NAA 32 Guardian that came with one of those and really liked it back then but the thought hadnt crossed my mind until your post. Thanks. I'm ordering two of them, the ones designed for the P3AT. One for me and one for my dad. That will do the trick.

12. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Wise on their part IMO.  Few used the zipper pouches.  They told me at SHOT that the cost of the plastic case was less than the cardboard box when you add in the cost to assemble them.  Cutting the pouch out and keeping the price the same just added to their profit margin.

FWIW, at least you can use the plastic box for airline travel - just add a TSA lock and you should be GTG.  :)

Maybe they could sell the zipper pouch as an accessory for $8 - $9 on the website.

13. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Wise on their part IMO.  Few used the zipper pouches.  They told me at SHOT that the cost of the plastic case was less than the cardboard box when you add in the cost to assemble them.  Cutting the pouch out and keeping the price the same just added to their profit margin.

FWIW, at least you can use the plastic box for airline travel - just add a TSA lock and you should be GTG.  :)

Maybe they could sell the zipper pouch as an accessory for $8 - $9 on the website.[/quote]

Hey now theres an idea! Maybe a little more $ than that though. $8 or $9 is probably not enough for the product or worth their effort.

14. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    When you get enough posts to qualify, post a "wanted to buy" add in the For Sale forum for a pouch - I am sure someone will happily send you one LNIB for $15 or so.

15. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I was about to offer to sell him mine, but not until he reached 25 posts :p

16. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I know the dude is funnin' but really IN ADDITION to fanny packs there are rectangular zip BELT PACKs which will do exactly what you want. They do for me. Just in case...Again...

http://www.bagmaster.com/?gclid=CJ-H7PPT_YkCFSNmYwod9EV0RA

17. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007
    Do you guys practice opening up the fanny pack or zipper pouch in an emergency situation?

Q - what is the logic?

18. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    With something as small as the P3AT, I don't see much of a need for a pouch.
    Only when wearing something like swimming shorts. Swimming or playing volleyball are not good carry sports. Of course it would ALWAYS be under DIRECT possession of an adult.

19. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The pouch is for when the gun is not being carried for extended periods directly on the body, but when you still want to have it nearby and not out in the open loose and exposed. I prefer to have all of my readily available guns hidden from plain view, or at least the trigger covered, depending on situation.

As far as the pistol pack or zip-pouch - For example, beside you when hanging out in the house working, watching TV,  sleeping, or whatever. I dont keep any of my loaded handguns that are ready for use fully exposed without some sort of holster or pouch covering them. Also, with the clip on the Desantis pistol pack, you could clip it on your pants quickly for certain situations around the household. If carrying in the car but not on the body, the pistol pack would be a good choice.  I have various pouches for all my regular use guns.

My primary home defense handgun(and also often CCW) is a Glock G22, kept in a Glock duty holster left hand(cheap $), with the belt clip cut by myself at the bottom to make it a right hand inside waistband holster and then the cut belt loop becomes a right hand IWB clip. Midway sells the Glock duty holster in the left hand version if you want to do this modification. After being cut, the plastic is still very rigid and rigid enough to function as an IWB clip. It works extremely well and also stands upside down with the handle up for minimal space taken up when beside me around the house and very easy to grab. It is beside me most everywhere I am in the home. Surefire 6P LED handheld always beside it after or anytime near dark. I highly recommend this setup as it has worked extremely well for me and I often go out CCW with this setup. If anyone wants further info on this setup, let me know. I can post pics if anyone wants further clarifaction also. I came up with it myself for Glock handguns and highly recommend it to others.

20. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX