Springs - recoil and magazine

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Maggie_Drawers, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Maggie_Drawers

Maggie_Drawers New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I was on the Wolfe Springs website ordering some springs for other guns then thought of the Kel-Tec.

I see they offer extra strength magazine springs. I'm wondering if those might help with some of the feeding problems. Anyone try the more powerful mag springs?

I saw their more powerful recoil springs. I then read the excellent material on this site about the Wolfe recoil springs (which by the way was very, very well done).

I've still got my original springs. Can anyone comment on their Wolfe Springs?

Thanks for any comments.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Wolfe makes great springs.

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

The Wolfe recoil springs do help reduce the felt recoil if you are shooting heavier loads, and in my experience helped with feeding. I installed them in my friends P3AT's and the magazine springs for my P-32 for use with heavy loads and they work fine.   The problem is the extra strength recoil springs have a break in period (about 100 cycles or so) were its hard to cycle the slide.  You have a bit more mechanical advantage with the magazine springs.   Maggie, there might be an issue with the recoil springs depending on your hand strength.  I wouldn't worry about extra strength recoil springs for the P3AT unless you are shooting a lot of heavy loads (my friends do.)  The magazine springs are really not needed for the magazines in the P3AT though they do seem to help some with the P-32.  I hope the info helps.

Best Wishes:

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    look in the FAQ/VIP for a post on wolff springs.
    while I have the heaviest wolffs in my P3AT, my opinion is i wish i had my money back

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Because you picked the heaviest ones ?

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I though all the Wolffs were heavier than original.

that is, wolff offers 13. 15. 16, where the factory is thought to be 11

I will state all 3 wolffs make the slide harder to rack, thus more force to chamber a round that hesitates on the feed ramp. However, I had no feed issues with factory. with the 16 wolff I could not get a limp wrist jam (trying with extremly lose grip) and the distance of ejected brass was not noticable

the reason I haven't gone back to factory, is I want to see if the wolf continued to take a set with use, but with the ammo shortage (and lack of time for the range) I haven't fire them enough to warrent measuring for changes (I would like to wait till at least 500 rounds)