Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering, does anyone know what the stock spring's weight is? I'm considering a pretty heavy modification to my Sub-2000 but this is an important factor in my decision to go ahead with it. I'm sure other people here have replaced their springs for hotter or lighter loads and the like. I know the Sub-2000 is pure blowback but its bolt assembly and spring both seem pretty heavy. I'm wondering if this is Kel-Tec insuring themselves against people putting +P+ loads in their guns constantly even if it's advised against. On a related subject, does anyone know the standard spring weight of an M4 Carbine? Thanks! - Colt

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Both the 9mm and .40 versions of the Sub use the same recoil spring. I am not aware of anyone making a replacement aftermarket spring, much less in varied tensions for differing calibers. Kel-tec did address the hotter load issue last year or so by looking at making a heavier bolt weight out of tungsten so the hotter .357 SIG round could be used. The heavier weight was designed to slow the bolt, but the kit ended up being prohibitively expensive due to the tungsten so the project was dropped as far as I know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had read that in another thread, about the guns in .357 SIG. I was going to post a thread about 7.62x25mm Tokarev since I know some people have converted Glocks to that with varying success. The biggest issue there is the very limited amount of internal space within a Glock's slide which isn't a real issue on a Sub-2000. I did a quick search and wasn't able to find much on this here. And that's not the project I'm asking about spring weights/rates for. I am very surprised no one has aftermarket springs for these things. They look like slightly smaller AKM springs, even how they're retained on a two piece wire system.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Yes they do resemble AK springs. There is really a very small aftermarket for the Sub2K And what there is has only come into existence in the past couple years. At only 3500-5000 per year produced, there just doesn't seem to be a large enough market to justify the expense of R&D for what would ultimately be a small series of production runs. Many have tried and moved on in the past 6 years, as I pointed out in our earlier PM exchange.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some handguns use a dual spring setup...what's the possibility of just adding a a second spring? Of course, you'd have to engineer the weight of the 2nd spring...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that's why I'm trying to figure out the spring weight/rate so I can replace it with something of the same specifications from something else that doesn't require such a long stock setup. Compared to traditional submachinegun designs the Sub-2000 is very inefficient in terms of bolt space but I'm sure it's cheaper to make that way.

Any clue what kind of steel the bolt carrier is made out of? I'm assuming Kel-Tec probably won't tell me these things if I call them.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Any clue what kind of steel the bolt carrier is made out of? I'm assuming Kel-Tec probably won't tell me these things if I call them.
Absolutely none.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spring Rates

Are measured in pounds per inch, set one up on a scale with a rule and collapse it an inch and read the scale. Hmm I can't remember now, but that is a single rate coil isn't it. May need another pair of hands for holding everything square.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts