Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Mcarbo optic mount. I’m thinking about buying the Vortex Spitfire AR optic. The reason I’m interested in that optic is that I have an Astigmatism. It says on Vortex website that the base is not removable. Does that make the optic sit to high? Can someone with that setup chime in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the Mcarbo optic mount. I’m thinking about buying the Vortex Spitfire AR optic. The reason I’m interested in that optic is that I have an Astigmatism. It says on Vortex website that the base is not removable. Does that make the optic sit to high? Can someone with that setup chime in?
I’m wondering about this optic mount also. The sub2000 looks really interesting to me, and I’m tempted, but I would like to see a reliable option for to mount an optic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a cheap $20 Red Dot and stuck it on my Sub2000, and have since added a 1" riser to get a better sight pic. It is still not high enough to suit me, but workable. I have a weak right eye and the Red Dot makes it more fun to shoot. The riser has a release handle to remove the RD if you want to fold it. I shoot off my back porch, about 40 feet to the target and it groups about 2" or so, free hand, which is good enough for plinking. You might want to try a cheap one to see if it works for you. Mine is similar to this one other than it has 4 MOA which is a larger dot. https://www.amazon.com/Reflex-Full-...d=1655065726&sprefix=red+dot+,aps,175&sr=8-84

·
Registered
144 Posts
Two points: First is with optics you kind of get what you pay for . . . I'm not sure I would ever be able to recommend a $20 red dot. Second, as for just bolting an optic to the fore end of a Sub2000, doing so precludes being able to fold it . . . which is kind of the whole point of of the Sub 2k in the first place. There are a pile of QD mounts on Amazon which would be a much better alternative.

Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two points: First is with optics you kind of get what you pay for . . . I'm not sure I would ever be able to recommend a $20 red dot. Second, as for just bolting an optic to the fore end of a Sub2000, doing so precludes being able to fold it . . . which is kind of the whole point of of the Sub 2k in the first place. There are a pile of QD mounts on Amazon which would be a much better alternative.

Larry
Do a lot of folks that use these QD mounts on their S2K have issues with their optic maintaing zero when you slap it back on?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I use QD lever mounts on other firearms and unless you plan on lighting matches with the bullet they return to zero close enough for competition A zone hits, even the head A zone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use QD lever mounts on other firearms and unless you plan on lighting matches with the bullet they return to zero close enough for competition A zone hits, even the head A zone.
Thanks much for offering up what you’ve learned from experience. That’s one of the reasons I like this board. Do you have a preferred brand of qd mount?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I remove the sight(s) on all my firearms when I clean them, so they get removed often. I'm probably over sensitive to cleaner getting on the sights and optics, but I know if they're removed I can't screw it up.

Last I checked my preferred mount wasn't offered as a stand alone. Maybe that has changed? It comes supplied on Holosun red dot sights. The downside? They are ChiCom, but they are good so I hold my nose and pay for them. I can't write too much about their sights, esp' the solar powered ones. If one has light they work even with a dead battery. Case in point... I was recently at the range and needed to put the sight into manual mode since I was under cover in shade and the target was in full sun. I couldn't do it, the sight just wouldn't go into manual mode. So I stepped out into the light and had my bright aiming point because the solar had what it needed to power the dot. The problem? The battery was dead. I got home, changed the battery and had full function back. It had been years since I changed batteries, but in competition the sight and target are both in full sun, so the red dot was happy. I have seen other brand sights with the solar option, but they look like the Holosun offerings so I bet they buy them and slap a different name on them. I have both the closed tube type and the open projection type and both work fine. But if the sight could see the puckerbrush and mud my choice would be for the closed tube as mud can block the open type projection sight most often seen on handguns.

OK, what did I learn from that experience above with the battery? Change batteries on everything once a year even if they appear to work and despite the quoted run hours. If that had happened late at night in my HD gun I'd have been up the creek. But another take away is that they operate fine w/o battery power as long as there is light. FWIW, all of my Holosun sights have the solar option.

But back to QD mounts. They can break the bank. My next favorite is UTG. But they pretty much require a Pic' mount on the sight (should be supplied by the manufacturer) and the UTG riser between the firearm and the sight. UTG won't break the bank and like Holosun, I've used them for years with no complaints.

One that I did have issues with, and I've forgotten the brand to protect the guilty, otherwise I would name it. I picked up a QD mount from either Ebay or Amazon. It looked like a lever type QD mount, but looks can be deceiving. Lever type QD mounts require a camming surface to work. This mount was missing that. The lever was mounted in the center of a circle rather than offset to give the camming action. It was totally useless. Also, if looking on Ebay and Amazon, be aware that many makers claim their mounts to be QD if they have easily accessed screw slots or hex bolt heads. You want to be sure they are lever type. One adjusts the tension once and from then on the lever does the work. One manufacturer (again, brand forgotten) has a really terrible aluminum alloy (pure soft alum'?) that flattened out over time. But the low cost of all the off brands was reflected in the low quality of the mount.

Lots of sights are married to their batteries and I have those also on what I'll call non-critical firearms. One that I don't have is sold by Primary Arms and are their prism sights (I've been meaning to buy one). They are larger and heavier than the micro red dots, but in the absence of battery power they have an etched reticle so they will work like a typical scope reticle. They also have eye relief so the sight must be within that sweet spot range. But I seem to remember the eye relief being quite generous, unlike a red dot where it can be mounted virtually anywhere on the firearm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts