Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Looking for some advice or clarification here.
I have spikes to go in the front of my KSG which replace the follower tube bolts on the front.
I’m hesitant to put them on because when cleaning your KSG you’re supposed to loosen the front bolts to take the gun apart. The spikes require lock tight and also would require a wrench to loosen each cleaning. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to have these spikes when you’re trying to take care of your KSG.
Anyone have any experience with this! Suggestions? Am I over thinking this? I’d love to put the spikes on. They look badass. But the gun is already a pain to disassemble and clean. I don’t need to add any additional steps. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Questions..........

First, is your new KSG to be a Real World defense gun or a range toy for fun?

Second, if it's a real defense gun, exactly what purpose do spikes have, and what are the downsides?
There are always down sides.

If it's a range toy, have at it, but disassembly may require some sort of covers for the spikes to prevent stabbing yourself during field stripping and cleaning.

See the article I wrote on the home defense shotgun and the hazards of adding accessories..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, man. This was a big help. Great article too! Made a lot of sense.

My KSG is primarily meant for home defense, but I won’t lie, I love to take her out for a good range walk. I do have a few add-ons already but nothing crazy. Honestly, the spikes would be nothing more than for show. No real world application. Just something I thought looked badass. Totally not a necessity at all.

So I think my question is more or less answered. It’s really not worth adding the spikes. It seems more of a hassle for disassembly for cleaning or in case of an emergency field strip, could mean even bigger problems.

Looks like my spikes may be going up on eBay. :)

Thanks again for the input! Very helpful.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm not a big fan of things like spikes. However, the takedown screws at the front are threaded into more or less tight caps on the magazine tubes. Those caps are lock-tite'd in place. I'm not sure which spikes you're referring to, but they should have some sort of hex shape or flats with which to tighten them into the magazine tube caps. Keep in mind the takedown screws of the KSG have retaining clips which keep them captive. I doubt that the spikes also have retaining clips but I could be wrong. Since you can usually take apart the front of a KSG using nothing more than a quarter, the spikes shouldn't need to be man-tightened, just good and snug. I don't see a problem for occasional range use, for the God forbid chance you have to take a few shots in home defense - the spikes will probably not come loose. On the other hand there is no telling where the prosecuting lawyer will do in a civil case after your criminal case is dismissed. The civil case doesn't need beyond a reasonable doubt, just a preponderance of evidence to rule in the plaintiff's favor.

But it's your Barbie doll, so you can stick whatever lipstick you like on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts