Spare mag holster ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Happy New Year to all !

I am trying to find a mag holster to put on my belt to carry a spare mag for my P-3AT; any recommendation ?

2. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I use an old holster for a belt knife. A multi tool holster would work also. I carry my P11 spare mag in a horizontal cell phone case. Lots of stuff you can use that is urban camoflague.

Life is short, be happy

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I've tried several cheap knife or multi-tool holsters and they could do the job. Also got one from knife kits that fits a P3 mag real well. I'll post a link so you can get an idea of the size that will work.

I just keep the two extra I carry in my left cargo pocket held in place with a couple rare earth magnets. Works nicely for me.

Here is a link for the one from Knife Kits; http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=44_248&products_id=1449

CJ

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
  5. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks for your replies.
    The knife or multi-tool holsters I found are too deep; of course, I could pad the bottom but it would defeat the purpose of carrying an ultra-small gun and an oversized mag holder.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  7. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    A full-sized knife sheath, etc. would be too big for a P3AT mag. However, I have a cheapo Winchester mini multitool that is sized to carry on a keychain - about the size of a Leatherman Micra, etc.  I don't remember buying it (maybe I did and forgot) so I think that maybe someone gave it to me.  It has a small jump ring attached so it could go on a keychain and also came with a little, nylon holster.  I don't know that I have ever even used the multitool as when I need a multitool I usually go with a full-sized one but the holster is just right for carrying a spare P3AT mag.  With the flat floorplate instead of the 'pinky extension' floorplate, the top flap will even close fairly well (it is held closed with velcro).  I only use it when carrying the P3AT on my belt (in a FOBUS) as the leather pocket holster I made has a place for a spare mag and the spare mag helps further disguise the pistol/holster in my pocket if it happens to print.  As I carry something bigger as 'primary' when I can and don't use the P3AT as a BUG, I haven't used the little sheath all that much but even if I used it often I don't think it would be wearing out any time soon. I used to see these little Winchester tools at Walmart for about five bucks.

Speaking of 'urban camouflage', I can't carry a firearm while at work but I can carry pepper spray.  Pocket knives and multitools are also okay.  I use the nylon sheath from a full sized Gerber multitool to carry my spray on my belt while at work, hiding in plain sight (the tool got dropped in the pond while trying to get a hook out of a catfish's mouth.)  I go old school and carry a Swiss Army type knife in my pocket in case I need a small screwdriver, bottle opener, etc.

8. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I carry a spare P3AT mag in the little change pocket that is right by the right pocket in jeans..... fits perfectly and it's easy for me to get to. Oh, and it's free!

9. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I think that pocket is called a 'watch pocket' because guys used to carry their pocket watches in that pocket. I haven't tried carrying a P3AT mag in that pocket but if I am wearing jeans and carrying my snubbie revolver I carry a speed strip in that pocket.

10. Shoe

Shoe New Member

May 27, 2010
    I carry mine in my pocket without a case. Is there a reason that I shouldn't carry a magazine without a case?

11. ksmoose

ksmoose New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I carry mine in a miniature multi-tool pouch that was from Cabela's. Perfect fit with or without a pinkie extension installed on mag.

12. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I think so. You might get enough dust bunnies inside the magazine to make it malfunction. I carry mine in a generic knife sheath I bought at a Gun Show and I carry it cartridges down. It never gets dust bunnies in the magazine.

13. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I carry my spare mag in my weak side front pocket. If I need it, my right hand will be occupied. I Don't let it float free in the pocket, because I want it to be oriented the right way when I go looking for it. I'm cheap, and if it is in the pocket, I don't care how it looks. I make this pup:
    [​IMG]

Sometimes, if I'm carring my .44 mag, I'll do this:
    [​IMG]

A word of warning. I was doing a fast dump of my carry mag and went for a fast reload. I reached in and came out with my phone. So much for musle memory. ::)

14. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    If your mag is just loose in a pocket, it can move around. If you NEED to reload, the magazine should be in a predictable orientation & location. You don't want to grab the mag and find out it's upside down or bullets backward instead of forward. I use this in my back pocket:

[​IMG]