Spare Mag Carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TX380, Oct 12, 2008.

1. TX380

TX380 New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    I'm looking for a good way to carry my spare 380 mag. I'm aware of three options:
    • Mag pouch built into the holster - I don't like this option, since the mag should be on your weak side so you can reload without switching hands with the gun
    • Pocket carry - I found the DeSantis Mag Packer when I searched the site (yes I did a search before I asked!), this might be an option, but I keep a lot of junk in my pockets...
    • Belt Carry - this is what I'd prefer; I bought a leatherman style pouch, but it's way too big - in my opinion it doesn't conceal under a T-shirt, and I don't want to tuck the shirt and have it seen, even if it might be confused with a leatherman

What other options are there? I'd like to find a belt clip or holster that's as small as possible so I can cover it with a T-shirt without printing. All you really need is a loop for the belt and a loop for the mag. I'd especially like to hear your opinions if you use or have tried anything else. Thanks!

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    ;D

From my experience and YMMV but carrying a loaded mag with a set of keys and chapstick in the same pocket posed no problems for me. Pocket lent didn't really give me any problems either and I was worried that that would cause the gun to jam. Maybe you could find a small pouch to a knife or sharpener at you local D!cks or some such to keep it in while the mag is in your pocket. Heck, the cheapest way to go if you wanted it covered would be to wrap it up in something but either way will slow you down if you had to use it. I have tossed mine into backpacks with all kinds of other gear in the small pockets and never had any trouble with it at all.

3. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    a small cell phone case on your weak side works great. You can pick one up at walmart for only a few bucks and it just looks like you are carrying a cell phone.

I havn't looked for one yet, but if you can find a leather case for an Ipod that would work too.

4. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    The cell phone case is a good idea. I have been looking at holsters also wondering the best way to carry an extra mag.

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    new york reload baby
    ;D

6. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Phone case: Wonderful! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

7. TX380

TX380 New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    This is one of the reasons I would prefer to carry on my belt - I'd hate to be digging around in my pocket for the spare when I really needed it, then when I find it try to figure out which way its facing so I don't try to put it in backwards. Maybe the DeSantis Mag Packer would help with that, keeping it in the same place and orientation, and I could still carry the rest of my stuff in the same pocket.

8. TX380

TX380 New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    I had to look this one up...sounds like a good excuse to buy another P3AT! ;)

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I have come to the same conclusions you have.  The in-the-holster method seems almost worthless if you ever need the mag.  Switching hands, trying to get the pocket holster out of the pocket, the mag out of the holster, reload, switch hands again...I don't care for the odds of that ever happening in a real SD situation.

A mag pouch in the opposite pocket is what I do, but the amount of other stuff I carry sometimes makes me leave it at home.  Pants/shorts with bonus pockets are the best way to go here.

Belt carry (esp horizontal belt carry) might work, but takes more effort than just dropping it in a pocket.  Finding the right case is the trick I suppose.  Let us know if you find one, and where.

10. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Though I must admit that I rarely use it, I fashioned a pocket mag carrier from bits of plastic I cut from a milk jug. I just used a Sharpie pen to trace out the magazine, cut it out and put it together with a couple of layers duct tape. The plastic is super slick for easy magazine removal, but it is snug enough that the magazine has never fallen out in normal usage.

Yeah, it's not so pretty, but it works great and noone will ever see it but me.

11. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm with RJ. I carry a BUG both for normal back up reasons. And for a NY reload!

Then again, I also carry a spare mag for my primary carry. And sometimes the BUG.

;D

12. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    a p11 in the pocket with a p3at on the belt makes me smile  ;D

13. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Had to look up "New York Reload" too. Guess I have one and didn't know it. Just picked up a PF-9 to carry with my P3AT when I travel. Still mostly carry my P3 in pocket for day to day carry.

14. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Yea, it can get a little heavy carrying my s&w 40 with an extra mag and my p3at...but you can never be too prepared.

15. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I may have to get a PF-9 to go with my P3AT also as I decided to sell my Taurus PT140 to a guy at work since it is just a bit too big and heavy for me to want to carry.

I also had to look up that NY reload. Pretty slick.

16. BamaShooter

BamaShooter New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    I like the DeSantis Mag Packer. It is as easy as carrying my P-3AT in the other pocket. And even easier for reloads.
    [​IMG]