Sophie's Choice (which P3AT to sell)...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, Apr 7, 2008.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I have questions at the end of all this, but here's the backstory...

Since I'm a teacher who--due to Florida's especially bad economy (insert rant about fiscally liberal neocons and corporate greed)--has had summer classes cancelled (half of all summer classes at UNF are being cut), so I'm going to have to sell one of my P3ATs (and maybe--shudder--my Kahr PM9 if I can't avoid it).

Therefore, I took both of my 2nd generation P3ATs to the range today to see if I could decide which to keep and which to sell--the Parkerized one OR the Jack Fuselier nickel-plated one.  Both are 2007 models in the late J-serial range.  

I wanted to see...
    1) if I shot better with one
    2) if one had more trouble feeding various ammo
    3) if one didn't like one of my three magazines
    4) if one had any failures with very slight limp-wristing
    5) if one was pickier about ammo.

I shot 100 FMJ rounds of American Eagle out of both with NO problems...
    I shot 25 rounds of Remington Golden Saber out of both with NO problems...
    I shot 25 rounds of Federal HP (low-recoil) out of both with NO problems...
    I shot 15 rounds of Corbon DPX out of both with NO problems...
    I shot 50 FMJ rounds of Magtech out of both with NO problems.

215 rounds out of both without a hiccup.  The ONLY thing I noticed was that the nickel-plated Fuselier one seemed to shoot tighter groups (however, that one has a thicker grip since I put a hogue jr. grip over the inner-tube looking grip sold here on ktog)...though the groups were a bit better, I plan on adding to the Park grip since I prefer the parkerized look to the nickel-plated (which looks much like the Hard Chrome model).  Both guns NOW have between 515-615 rounds through them without ANY problems (as long as you slingshot the first round and don't try to ride the slide back slowly).  The Parkerized one had a few feed-ramp hangups early on (with Fed HP and Rem GS) and some smileys on Fed AE FMJ, but that all seems to have subsided.  

IS one worth more than the other?
    Also, is $200-$210 (+shipping) a fair price (or too low?) for the Nickel-plated one (Jack Fuselier polished the feed ramp AND cleaned out the firing pin channel...I actually bought the Park model to hold me over while he worked on the first, though it only took him 2 or 3 weeks tops).  

Any recommendations appreciated.  

I spent $249 on the gun, $35 on the plating (+ shipping and extra +1 mag ext), so I have over $285 into the nickel-plated one (whereas I paid $279 for the Park).  Both have rubber-grips installed (which can be removed or glued on); both are in excellent condition (the park has been carried more, so it has some holster-rub-wear); both are reliable; and I'd send the +1 extension with whichever I sold.

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Personally I would prefer the nickel plated, and I believe it is worth more than the Parked. New Hardchromes (which are just a bit more valuable than nickel) are going for $300 - 325 now. So, $200-210 is MORE THAN FAIR! I would expect to pay closer to $250 - 275.

Bobo

3. buster1

buster1 New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    I don't know where you shop, but I just paid $249.99 (+ tax) for a NIB hard chrome. Blued and parked sell for $10.00 less.

4. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yeah, I've seen HC versions around here LISTED for $329, but they'll ACTUALLY sell them for $279 or $289.
    I'll put it on the boards for $210 (+ shipping) and see what happens. I'm just hoping I can make it through the summer without having to sell my Kahr PM9 (which is waiting to be sent to Cylinder and Slide for their package #1).

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    $249 for HC NIB is a great price, the best price anywhere near Houston for a NIB Blued is $259

6. kubmiester

kubmiester New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Me, I'd cut grass for the summer to make up the difference in cash so I wouldn't have to sell either one. ;D

7. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    If you do decide to sell one, post it on KTOG first! :D

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008