Sophie's choice (P3AT over PM9) in Jax, FL

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, May 7, 2008.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    After 800 flawless rounds with the P3AT, and much more time actually on my person, I'm selling the Kahr PM9 (see the trading post).

I may use the money to see if an LCP or a Kahr P380 can displace the P3AT, but I was wondering something: Am I correct in assuming that the Kahr P380's 2.5" barrel will get 10% less out of the .380 round than the 2.75" barrel of the P3AT and LCP?? Wouldn't a 10% difference bring a 980 ft/s bullet down to 882 ft/s or even slower since the bullet probably accelerates the entire time it's in the barrel?

I went from being a fast bullet guy (Corbon Pow-r-ball's in my PM9) to a slow bullet guy (GS in my P3AT), but I don't want to get TOO slow like that turtle couple, the Slowskys.

2. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I'm thinking the Kahr is a little to small for me, can't imagine how it would handle with some of the hotter loads. :eek:

Tom j.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

Seems to me like what you might loose between the two .380 barrel lengths is nothing compared to what you've lost going from 9mm to .380. Your Trading Post message mentioned size, if I remember correctly, as the reason for selling the PM9 so why not just make size the criteria for your .380?

Take care...

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Why are you trying to fix something that isn't broke? You have a flawless P3-AT and you want to spend more money and replace it with unproven guns. Your logic really escapes me. What am I missing here?

5. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Joe, the P3at that you have, the parkerized one is garbage. All those KT's are bad bad guns.You need to just sell it to me and be done with it. $200 and you can buy a new gun. ;)

6. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    You're all correct that "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"--however, I like to compare and contrast and see what I like best.  For example, I loved the PM9, but after I bought the P3AT I noticed that I was always carrying the P3AT.  While I'm in no hurry to buy either the Rugel-tec or the Kahr P380, if I had the money I'd like to check them out.  

Also, I did take a bigger than 10% hit downgrading from 9mm (which I could get for free from the gov't) to .380 (which costs a lot), but the fact of the matter is that I actually carry the P3AT since it's pocketable whereas I rarely carried the belt-riding PM9...if I need to carry something bigger, I can always carry my G23.  The PM9 just didn't have a place anymore.

Gatorhugger--PM inbound.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Now I understand where you're coming from... So many guns so little time  :)

Funny how often it seems that getting a P3AT changes our carry habits. Sold a Taurus PT111 awhile back because I didn't like the manual of arms (manual safety) and have yet to replace it with another 9mm carry gun (e.g. Glock 26, PF9 or whatever).

Take care...

8. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yeah, I actually feel a little guilty or silly giving up such a "fine, quality" gun as the PM9 for the often disparaged Kel-tec, but I just can't find a reason not to. I really think Kel-tec gets a lot of crap from earlier mistakes they're not really making anymore--and they're definitely pushing forward with all the interesting new designs (like that bullpup) instead of just copying others (read LCP) based on the market.

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Joe, PM back to you. Probably sold.