Soon to be KT SU-22 Owner

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by squirrel1968, Jul 21, 2011.

1. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Hey all,
    Just ordered a SU-22 (pick up on the the 1st). The reviews sold me on this 4 pound tactical carb. I So have a few questions:

1. will my new rifle come lubed?
    2. whats the best polymer safe lube?
    3. Known problems?
    4. Best ammo for this rifle (I currently us CCI for my ruger 10/22 and savage Mark II)
    5. Any tips you can offer a new KT SU-22 owner

Hope to hear from you all!

2. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Welcome to KTOG!

1. It will have some lube, but I would clean it before firing. This will also help you get to know your gun. Kel Tec in all probability will have test fired it before it left the factory. They don't bother to clean them. Some of these guns come dusty (cardboard fibers), as mine did. Some have referred to it as having looked like it was dragged through a hay field. They sometimes move around in the boxes during shipping and the cardboard gets chewed up.

2. I like CLP for cleaning. I try to minimize contact between the polymers and solvents. DuPont Multi-Use dry Teflon lubricant is good and doesn't attract dirt. I have used it on my SU-22. Eezox is good on metals for preventing rust. It has chlorinated solvents, so I avoid putting it on the polymer parts. Keep solvents off the magazines. They are polycarbonate and solvents can weaken them. Wipe them off with dry paper towels. Look at the range reports I posted on two new types of magazines that fit these and the PLR-22.

3. The bolt is two-part. Sometimes the screws loosen and the bolt will jam. When this happened to mine, I disassembled the bolt, thoroughly cleaned it with brake cleaner, reassembled it with Blue Loctite on the screws (not red, you might need to be able to disassemble it in the future) and have had no problems since. Sometimes the sights are screwy. I put a scope on mine. They are accurate enough to appreciate a scope. A Nikon Prostaff 4x32 works nicely.

4. Federal Bulk Pack in the maroon box has quite a following here. It is certainly good for breaking it in. The CCI should be fine. Try the Federal if not. Don't waste your money on the AutoMatch, it's no better than the bulk pack. Mine does well with CCI Blazer. Fiocchi SM340 Biathlon can turn in some stunning groups, but it also has a stunning price ca. $10.00/box of 50.

5. Shoot, clean, repeat. I like to go over new guns and smooth up a few things (and not just on Kel Tecs.) The rod that the recoil spring is around is often rough on the top and bottom. Some look like they were cut out with a jagged band saw. These grooves or marks run nearly parallel to the spring coils, and are rough and noisy when you rack it. A few minutes with some fine sandpaper 400, 600 then 800, in the direction of motion helps a lot. Don't change the shape or size of it, just knock off the rough edges. This isn't actually necessary, but it accelerates the break in and makes a good gun a nice gun.

have fun!

buzzsaw

3. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Thank you so much Buzzsaw, I really appreciate the time you spent on this post! completely helpful!!.

I pick it next Tuesday and was planning to do a mini field strip to get the hang of doing it, I'm sure I'll have more qustions LOL. Again thank you for all your help.

4. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Well, I picked up my SU 22 yesterday, great looking rifle, light but very solid! Only issue was... one, in which I caused myself ("remember boys and girls, not all semi-auto rimfires opperate the same so don't assume they do...READ THE MANUAL".

First impressions:

Packaging - lots of dust and cardboard shavings loose inside, yes you will need to do a good cleaning.

Condition of rifle - beautiful, light and stands out in a crowd of tactical rimfires. I only have one beef, there were plactic pieces hanging off everywhere, inside the mag well, stock and receiver. unfortunatly I did get a sliver in my finger from the plastic but its all good. Maybe a final QC on can be done in the future :)

Other than that looks and feels great and can't wait till the weekend to test fire at the range. I have a bit of a mix of ammo to run through it, so I will be testing out CCI mini mags and winchester since rimfire rounds from federal are few and far between here in my area.

5. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Get you a can of spray rem oil and give it a shot every 50 to 100 rounds at first. This should keep the crud build-up to a min. If you start getting failures give it a good cleaning and try again. Happy squirrel hunting!

6. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Spray the oil on bolt every 50-100? I have the bolt removal down so if thats the case doing a quick strip at the range should be fast and easy. Could this be done with break free?. Thank you for the tips and advice!!

7. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    No need to remove the bolt. Just lock the bolt back and give it a quick spray. I have not used break free so I do not know how it will react with platic. Use anything(wd40) that is platic safe to wash the action down. You do not have to spray your su-22 down but it will keep you shooting longer beteew tare down cleanings.

8. buzzsaw

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Sometimes they do have a bit of mold flashing. Mine wasn't too bad, but it does have a fairly ugly spot under the trigger guard.

The maroon box Federals can usually be found at Wal-Mart, somewhere around $15 a box. I prefer them to Auto Match, but the latter will work. The CCI's and the Winchester should be fine, unless the Winchester is some of their really cheap stuff (Xpert, for example).

buzzsaw

9. buzzsaw

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Don't tell me! You left out the buffer when putting it back together and proceeded to rack the bolt. If you do this, the bolt will wind up behind the hammer and won't go forward. Furthermore, the gun won't open enough to separate the bolt and the hammer. You have to take a deep breath (very important step), open the rifle with just enough force to slip a thin piece of metal in to push down the hammer enough to free it and the bolt so you can open it up the rest of the way to insert the buffer. This can be done without damaging the rifle.

This mistake is very easy to make, especially if you just cleaned an SU-16 or PLR-16, which don't have buffers, but otherwise are almost identical when it comes to assembly.:eek:

buzzsaw

10. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Buzz Saw - nope didn't do that, although surprised I didn't but no :). I was putting in the operations handle wrong LOL READ READ READ! at this point I have read since my flub 4 times LOL

OkrIII - Picked up both rem oil and Federal maroon box today, of course I am going to try the CCI's first since I already have about 300 rds. But if all else fails I'll try the federal. I'm crossing my fingers. I'll post a pick today of my baby today. if all goes well I'll probable pick up a SU-16 in January :). I love my Savage Arms Mark II, ended up buying a 556 a few months later so I'm hoping Kel Tec does me right :)

11. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Keltec's mulitply, I started with a p3at and pf-9 now I have 8 keltecs and will get a pmr-30 and rmr-30 when avalible. I do not think any other brand can beat keltec's value.

12. squirrel1968

squirrel1968 New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Went to the range this morning, great report for you all. She fired perfectly, except I am not liking that front sight at all. Started with CCI Mini Mags, after shooting 2 mags (20 rounds total) I had 3 jams. I switched over to the bulk Federals and get this...300 rounds fired at 100%. Def going to pick up a Pistol next :)

13. KORNBREAD

KORNBREAD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    GA
    Yes they do. I have five and I'm waiting on the RMR and a KSG. I have liked kel tecs since I got my p11 a few years ago and it has snowballed since.

14. pd4byot

pd4byot New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Western Montana
    Range reports look good on the SU-22 Have sme black dog mags from my Chiapp M4-22.
    Putting an su-22 on the top of my want list.