Somehow, I've managed to shoot myself in the foot

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by temporary, Apr 12, 2009.

1. temporary

temporary Guest

I've had to create a new account name just to be able to post this question. I've been participating as CruiseStar for a couple of months, but have lost all access as of this morning.

I recently noticed that while I can log in from my home computer and see all the stuff I'm supposed to see, I cannot log in from the office at all any more. I can browse the forum as a guest, however. The first time this occurred, I tried the option to e-mail the password to my registered e-mail address, but I got the same error message as when I tried to log in:

"Username / Password mismatch - The Username you specified does not exist or you entered a wrong password"

I tried changing my password from home, thinking I had simply forgotten it, but that didn't resolve anything. I brought the office notebook home and had the same results here, which eliminates routers and firewalls in the office network. I wondered if I could only be logged in from one machine at a time - I do leave the machine at home connected to KTOG around the clock - so I logged out of the home machine, logged back in to make sure I still could, logged out again and tried from the office notebook with the same results. Now I can no longer login from the home machine!

Have I violated some policy and been banned?

Thanks,

Mike

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Somehow, I've managed to shoot myself in the f

You were not banned, but for whatever reason, there is no member registered as CruiseStar.  Since there is no such account, there is nothing I can do to restore it, reset password, etc.  :-/

ETA: Since there is no registered member under the name CruiseStar, I suggest you register a new account with that name.

3. temporary

temporary Guest

Ok, I'll do that. I assume that means I'll also have to start over on post count to have access to the TP. Only took me a couple of months the first time ;-)

Seems odd that as recently as this morning I was able to modify my sig line, yet now I don't exist - LOL!

Thanks for checking on this for me.

Mike

4. temporary

temporary Guest

Ok, looks like I'll have to delete this account before I can use the same e-mail address for another account. I suppose if that doesn't work, I can always create another 'temporary' account so I can ask for more help.

Mike

5. CruiseStar

CruiseStar Guest

Ok, round extracted, wound healing - looks like I'm back to square one ;-) I appreciate your help! Sure wish I knew whether this was self-inflicted, though. I'll try to be patient regarding access to the Trading Post.

Thanks,

Mike

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

At the bottom of your profile page, there is a button to confirm any changes made to your profile.   Next to that button is one that deletes the account.  It looks like when you modified your sig line, you hit the wrong button.  

Any posts you made as CriseStar still exists but will carry the ex-member marker like your temporary account above that you have now deleted.  Can you remember any threads where you posted with the previous CruiseStar account?  If so, post a link to that thread.  I'd be interested to see what's there. That would confirm my suspicions.

7. CruiseStar

CruiseStar Guest

I haven't been able to do this using the [Search] feature, but most of my posts were in the P3-AT or the PLR-22 sections. Here's one I found by browsing:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1231949582;revpost=yes;start=0#17

The [Delete] button is in the first screen, IIRC, but I added to my sig line this morning, and that is several screens further in.

Thanks,

Mike

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

OK!  I have found your problem.  

Your actual user-name is/was Mike_Patton - NOT CruiseStar.

At some point, you went to Profile - Edit Profile, and entered CruiseStar as your "Name".  That changes the (screen) "Name" that appears next to your posts, but does NOT alter your actual "user-name, which remained Mike_Patton.

Here is your profile as Mike_Patton.  I can see where you changed your screen name.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=Mike_Patton

Your account is still there under the username Mike_Patton.  That is what you would have to enter to log in, which is why the forum did not accept your login as CruiseStar (there was no such account).  I assume that you can still log in as Mike_Patton and continue to use that account.  If that proves to be true, you can delete the new CruiseStar account and resume your old identity.  Please let me know.  

9. CruiseStar

CruiseStar Guest

I can only imagine how simple my life would be - were it not for the self-inflicted woes I manage to create ;-)

Thanks, and I'll try that. If it works, I'll nuke this one.

Mike

10. Mike_Patton

Mike_Patton New Member

Jan 15, 2009

Ok, I have fully recovered - thanks so much for your help. Now I have to think how simpler *your* lives as admins would be, if you didn't have to protect some of us from ourselves LOL!!

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

You are welcome.  We aim to please.  
    I'm glad you are back and good to go.  :cool:

12. Michael_Nesevitch

Michael_Nesevitch New Member

May 19, 2009

I did the same exact thing! Was driving me crazy.. LOL.. Somehow I came across this thread while looking for a reason why I was getting the "Name Mismatch" error.. Wonder how many others make the same mistake??