Some problems after cleaning

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by fltection, Apr 25, 2010.

1. fltection

fltection New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Got a new blued P3AT today. Took it home, cleaned and lubed it- even before I started I noticed that racking the slide had a "hitch" to it- an easy pull, then a "hitch", then a harder pull to rack the slide.

After cleaning and lubing I had a scary time where the magazine wouldn't seat- but I pushed on the mag catch and now it works okay.

When I tried to chamber a round, the first one would not go into battery- I pushed the slide forward a bit and it went in BUT, when I tried to rack the slide to eject the round it was stuck...eventually got the round out...

Did this several times- got better as I went. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow, but just wanted to check here to see if there are any danger signs here...

I have read that there is a break in period- maybe the issues I'm having are related to that?

Not a new gun owner- just new to the kel-tec...any advice is welcome!

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Was it the same round that you rechambered several times? It could just be an out of tolerance round. My suggestion is throughly clean the barrel and chamber, and when you reassemble the pistol make sure both the barrel, and the recoil guide spring rod are centered in the slide. The slides hesitation pulling back happen sometimes when the guide rod is sligthly off center. The chamber could also have a small bit of crude or varnish in it causing the tight chamber too, and the cleaning will take care of that.

Best Regards

3. fltection

fltection New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    It was a "new" round- I had just finished cleaning it. I will check to see if the guide rod is off center. Thanks for the response!

4. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    looks like this one will need some f&b to make it run.

5. fltection

fltection New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    UPDATE- racked the slide a couple hundred times (no kidding) and it is getting better. I will see how things go at the range tomorrow.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Shoot, clean, lube, repeat. ;)

7. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Shoot, clean, lube, repeat.   ;)
    [/quote]

No problem I can see