Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SU16CA with the compact forend. N3Cnn.
Kel-Tec 10rnd and 5rnd plastic (newer) mags.
Cannot use metal 20 or 30 mags here in MA except in pre-ban equipment, so I'm stuck with factory mags.

SU16 had been put away clean, and stored in a climate-controlled environment for 2 years. When I removed it yesterday, parts were still lightly lubed where appropriate. I use RemOil. Sparingly. Works well on every other weapon I have and have used, and up to now worked great on SU16CAs (I have two sequentially-serial numbered weapons, a his-n-hers package).

I took "my" SU16 out yesterday to demonstrate it at the range. Short story, it "didn't operate as expected." "Her" took one look at the problems and ceased all further interest in ever shooting SU16CA again.

1. Full mags swell too much to get loaded mag into well. When I remove all but one round, inserting mag does not release bolt.

2. Pull bolt back by hand, the gas tube comes with it.

3. Push tube back in place, release bolt, bolt doesn't budge.

4. Manually close bolt, round in mag does not get stripped.

5. Manually place round in chamber, close bolt, bolt does not reach round, firing pin does not strike primer, but trigger does disengage sear and firing pin moves freely.

Effectively, my SU16 went on disability after being cleaned, lubed, and stored in a climate-controlled safe.

I put the poodle-shooter back in its bag and took it home. Fortunately, my friends are Kel-Tec affectionados. Unfortunately, one said "I've never seen a Kel-Tec fail so badly just because you didn't shoot it for a while."

Every other weapon (6 people were well-armed and shot many different ones for hours) from my safe shot first-time with not one problem. Lots of exploding targets, tight groups, and high-fives. And that was from the 4 women!

But SU16CA operated like a gun-grabber's dream. It failed totally.

"Send it back to KT and get it fixed" is a poor option for first-responders who need equipment to work anytime, anywhere, without prior planning and effort. Besides, I've done that already, a month after I purchased these.

QUESTION: Anybody have this experience before? Know of a cure?

Thanks,

Grips

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
First off putting a round in the mag and inserting it in the gun shouldn't close the bolt automatically..gotta pull the bolt and release..
If you pull the bolt back and the piston tube comes with it , you didnt turn the tube after assembly and lock it in place...WHICH would cause all your other problems...

Pull that gas tube forward and twist a quarter of a turn to get the tab on rear of tube facing to the left side of the gun...

Proper reassembly will assure better preformance of any gun...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. It's not like I've never made a mistake.
I'll work on the gas tube...

...got it. The tube was not all the way fwd, and thus I could not turn the hole in the tube 90deg "left", and thus the tube was not locked into position. Yes, the bolt operates properly now.

No, I did not expect the loaded mag to release the bolt, just saying that it didn't when slammed in hard. I have a few weapons that when the mag is slammed in with great force, the bolt releases.

What about the mags? "She" can't put them in or take them out, and "He" is not all that happy about those factory mags either.

Grips

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thank you. It's not like I've never made a mistake.
I'll work on the gas tube.

What about the mags? "She" can't put them in or take them out, and "He" is not all that happy about those factory mags either.

Grips
Trust me, we have ALL made mistakes, and will again..wasn't picking on you by any means..

My mags all work great, 2 ten round stockers, a 20&30 rd Magpull..I wasn't even aware there were 5 rounders..learn something every day..I read here somewhere that the earlier stock mags were weaker and would do what you say and that Kel Tec fixed them..And I think I heard Kel Tec would trade them out for you... give them a call and see..let us know the outcome of all this...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keeping in mind that we have two of these, and keeping in mind that "Hers" gets fired a lot because "She" is convinced I am a supply sargent for her personal ammo dump, and because "She" shoots very well and never has said never to weaponry, I indulge her as often as she desires.

What I'm thinking is that I need to loan "His" and 500 rounds of ammo to "Her". I'll do the mag loading, "She" will do the "unloading". "Hers" has never been a problem, so "His" might just need some excercise to get into shape.

If the problems continue, then yes, back to Kel-Tec (although these are supposedly the 2nd gen mags).

I located some 10-rnd aluminum mags (have no clue as to brand) and will try those. They stick out about 2 inches, looking very much like a 20 mag.

I mis-stated on "5rnd mags". They are the factory 10rnders that disappear into the mag well, sitting flush and are discouragingly hard to extract with a thumb and forefinger. We only use them to introduce shooting to novices, and we load 1, then 3, then 5 in them. For this purpose we call them the "five-rounders" so we pre-load the proper mag on the range. The fact that no mag sticks out means the novice doesn't go Hollywood and grip the mag with the support hand.

Anyway, no offense taken on the suggestion that the problem was the brain connected to the booger finger that pulls the bang lever. As I said, I've been known to make mistakes before. Good call, by the way. That tube will be added to the pre-flight check list.

And now I'm wondering if I should swap out the short forearms with the new freefloating. Are we looking at better accuracy? Better protection for the gas tube? We only use micro red dot at the rear (through which we can also see the peep and front post), and a small light on the lower front, so more rail surface is not our goal.

Grips

·
Registered
43 Posts
With what little shooting time I have on mine, I would say get some pre-bans. Or maybe some good 5-10rd new mags and compare them to the stock ones.

RW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Maybe they have a 3rd generation of those mags or something..my gun is new..just a couple weeks old or so and I can load 10 in mine and they slide in and out easy..empty or full..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say get some pre-bans [snip].

RW
Unfortunately, MA law says that possession of pre-ban mags with a post-ban weapon is a felony. Pre-ban mags may only be in the presence of Pre-ban weapons. Keep in mind that if a person does not have a "Firearms Identification Card" (permit to own a gun and the priviledge of registering same) said person may not possess an empty casing, a spent bullet, or "...any component of ammunition, or a rifle or shotgun or firearm." "Firearm" in MA means "handgun." They keep track of stuff like the age of magazines (it is the burden of the owner to prove date of manufacture and sale into MA of said pre-ban).

So, I have to travel to NH to work with reasonable equipment. And leave it all there when I come back home. It's a bit tiring. Maybe "Her" company will get wiped away by the backsliding economy, and we can justify moving to a sane state.

I'm open to suggestions on what "Good" and "New" 10-rnd mags I should look for, brand names, etc. Most of the affordable mag sellers will not ship any mag into MA because the seller has no idea if the buyer is *licensed* in MA, so it doesn't help to say "CTD carries mags..." I have to go out of state to get what I need.

Grumble grumble.

Grips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts