Some Ammo tests (7 types)

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by henktermaat, Aug 28, 2010.

1. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Today I shot a bunch of ammo out of the SU-22 at 25 yards.  I had 7 types, numbered 1-7 across:

1) Federal maroon value pack
    2) Federal "Target Grade Performance" bulk pack
    3) Winchester Xpert HV High Velocity
    4) Winchester 555 round red box
    5) CCI Mini-Mac COpper plated HP
    6) Remington 22 target
    7) CCI Stinger (HV)

[​IMG]

Results:
    I shot thru each set three times (shown below). I shot off the bipod on a folding table - it could have been better. I'm somewhat of an inconsistent shooter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 (winchester Xpert HV) or #4 (Winchester red box 555 bulk pack) looks like winners to me. I shoot thru them three times. My first shot is usually a flier - so looking back I should have discounted that one and shot 6 of each  ;D #5 and #6 did ok too. #6 was the clear winner in my last test- also found on these forume. It's hard to tell if it's the ammo or me.

The Xpert HV had two jams though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Here's my previous test from a few months ago (three types of ammo) at 20 yards except the 50 yd image.

1) Federal "Target Grade Performance" bulk pack
    2) Remington 22 target
    3) Federal maroon value pack

I would say I've improved- largely because of the trigger job: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282414064. I can't say enough how much better this gun shoots - but that is a topic for another thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Thanks for the real world test data.

I'm still looking forward to finding an evening to make a portable shooting bench, and a day to go to a private range and test the 50+ varieties of ammo I have for my big SU-22 ammo test. It'll be very scientific with lots of data. That process has been dragging along too long, and your realistic (and doable!) ammo test fills the void nicely.

4. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's time for you to stop putting all of these things off :)

5. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Also, try some American Eagle 38gr.HP.
    Mfg Item Num: AE22
    Caliber :22 Long Rifle
    Bullet Type :Copper Plated HP
    Bullet Weight :38 GR
    Muzzle Energy :138 ft lbs
    Muzzle Velocity :1260 fps
    Rounds/box :40 Rounds Per Box

It is made by Federal.  I picked up a brick of 400 rds. for $19.99 earlier this past week.  It shot great out of my S&W 2214 yesterday at the range. I was only shooting @ 7yds. off hand, but I was getting 1 inch groups(dropping flyers, top left corner target).  I was there to test it in the S&W 2214 and NEF R92. I will try it out of the Neos Carbine next weekend @ 50yds.  It shot pretty clean also. I like so far, no bad rounds out of 80 shots (2 boxes).

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Cee-W/SW22147ydsAmerEagle38grHP-FederalAE22.jpg[/IMG]