Solvent

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jhacker5150, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jhacker5150

jhacker5150 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    What product do you use to remove brass marks on a blued slide/breech area?

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I use BreakFree CLP exclusively to clean my guns but I can't say I've ever noticed any particular brass marks.

Pictures?

3. jhacker5150

jhacker5150 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    might be awhile before I can post pics. How about just scratches/markings from the cases ejecting?

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Regular old Hoppes stuff works pretty good for me.

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Scratches? If you really mean "scratch", as in an indentation in the slide or breech, then the only way I know to "remove" a scratch is to remove the material around the scratch but I don't recommend removing material from the slide or breech.

If by scratch you mean brass that was left behind by the casing then most cleaning fluids like Hoppes or BreakFree will take care of most your worries with a little elbow grease.

If by scratch you mean some of the blue has been removed and you can see steel then you can reblue the area with some Birchwood-Casey, I'm not sure I would refer to this as actually removing anything but if that's what you mean then OK.

Are we close yet?

6. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Hoppes works for me.

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Oh, the smell. But yeah, it works for me too.

8. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Oh, the smell.  But yeah, it works for me too.
    [/quote]

My wife is always complaining about the smell of hoppes. I just tell her that I know she really likes it and that I'm gonna start using it as aftershave. But it does work...that and CLP.

9. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Hoppies #9 does have some small amount of "copper solvent" properties to it.

CLP doesn't.

If you leave #9 set on the brass tracks overnight, they should wipe right off the next day.

But any brand of "Copper Solvent" bore cleaner will do it while you watch!

rcmodel

10. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Has anyone tried Kano Kroil ?

Used it a time or two, seems to be a pretty good solvent.

B.

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Oh, the smell.  But yeah, it works for me too.
    [/quote]

My wife is always complaining about the smell of hoppes.  I just tell her that I know she really likes it and that I'm gonna start using it as aftershave.  But it does work...that and CLP.
    [/quote]

I use it out on the porch so as not to stink the house up. My GF just loves that smell - not. Can't say that I blame her.

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    My wife actually DOES like the smell of ole number 9. AND cosmoline.

I'm one lucky SOB, I tell ya.

:)

#9 for pretty much all my cleaning needs here.

13. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Home-brewed "Ed's Red" does a great job and doesn't smell as bad as #9.

14. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Oh the fragrant aroma of Hoppe's #9. I actually wrote to Yankee Candle and asked them to make a Hoppe's scented candle. I'm still waiting. :'(

15. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    i like hoppes "elite" no smell cleans good...
    it is the same as mpro7 but it has a lube in it i believe.... i also use remington dry lube with teflon for lubing
    and miltex grease on occasion to and i do occasionally spray a little CLP in hard to reach spots.

16. WhyNotFab

WhyNotFab New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    FL
    New to the gun world.. but already have our house smelling like Hoppes 9, and I seem to always smell like it now too ;D I actually don't mind it..

17. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    my preference is for Hoppes 9 SEMI AUTO, its is a silver labled bottle and is a solvet based not an oil base like the regular 9 is and leaves no reidue to wipe off and dries quickly.