Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

SOLVED: SU-16CA rear stock has wolverine-like death grip on 30 rd USGI magazine

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mac66 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: After some experimentation, I found three solutions (two distinct and one combination of the two).
  1. Remove one of the long pins (159 in the diagram) from the stock.
  2. Use a cable tie or something similar to create a grab handle (see this comment).
  3. Do both 1 and 2.
---

I've noticed that once I insert a typical (ASC) 30-rd aluminum USGI magazine into the butt stock of a relatively new SU-16CA, I cannot for the life of me wrestle that thing free no matter how I orient it. I ended up getting some old inner tube rubber and a pair of water pump pliers to yank that thing out (trying hard not to crush the magazine with the pliers). It came out scored from the mag snap pins. I'm pretty sure it's the rear pair that's applying the tightest grip (part no. 159 MAG SNAP PIN—LONG in the diagram below).

Is this typical? This doesn't seem like a viable option if I need tools to get the thing out. Are there any tricks for dealing with this?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Following up on my own post: I'm currently experimenting with the idea of replacing the long pins (part no. 159) in the rear with the shorter versions (part no. 152), or maybe eliminating them altogether. I'll post any observations here, but I'm curious to hear how others solve this issue.

#3 · (Edited)
I tried removing the rear pins altogether, but that wasn't satisfactory for me. It left too little bite on a full magazine. That might be okay, if one only keeps the rifle folded, and one takes the magazine out of the cavity as soon as one deploys the rifle, but I didn't want to be so constrained.

I ordered two Short Mag Snap Pins (152s) from Kel-Tec and replaced both long pins in the rear. It was only slightly better than having no rear pins, so I abandoned that approach.

Then I tried using one long pin (159) and one short pin (152) in the rear, keeping the two short pins (152s) in the front as designed. That worked well. It retains the magazine nicely, and requires a bit of a tug to get it free, but that manipulation can be made with one hand and normal pinch strength. (Arthritis sufferers may have to find a different solution.) It definitely requires more force than pulling a stock 10-round magazine out of the rear slot. I'm pretty confident basic rifle manipulations won't knock it loose. If one wanted more confidence, I suppose a hair band or something similar around the stock could be used as additional retention.

What I haven't tried yet are the following configurations, none of which involve ordering additional parts:

1. Remove one rear pin:
  • Front: two shorts (152s), as designed
  • Rear: one long (159), one empty
My guess is that this is similar to replacing one of the long rear pins with a short one, as having a short pin in the rear probably only marginally improves retention.​

2. One long in the front, two shorts in the rear:
  • Front: one long (159), one empty
  • Rear: two shorts (152s) or nothing
My guess is that two long pins (159s) in the front won't work because the front section is slightly narrower than the rear, so putting the longs in the front will dig into the magazine even more.​

3. One long in the front, one long in the rear:
  • Front: one long (159), one empty
  • Rear: same (maybe on the opposite side)
I'll try to remember to post back here if I ever try any of the above configurations, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. To anyone else who tries any of these, please consider sharing your observations.

#4 ·
Following up after some additional discoveries. It was a bit cold today, and either my hands weren't working right, or, after sitting a while, something changed, because my one-long-one-short pin solution was still a bear to deal with. I pulled out the short pin and left nothing in its place. It didn't change much, so my earlier supposition appears somewhat accurate:

1. Remove one rear pin:

Front: two shorts (152s), as designed
Rear: one long (159), one empty
My guess is that this is similar to replacing one of the long rear pins with a short one, as having a short pin in the rear probably only marginally improves retention.​

Yup. Remove one of the long pins in the back, and it will be really close to replacing one of the long pins in the back with a short pin. No need to order any additional parts.

However…I was still having issues, so I figured out an additional technique: Get a long nylon zip tie and form a loop big enough to fit around the magazine and a finger or two. Put it over the magazine, and shove the whole thing into the magazine cavity. Voilà, you now have a cheap pull-tab that can assist with removing the mag.

Product Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Wheel
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

#5 · (Edited)
Following up after some additional discoveries. It was a bit cold today, and either my hands weren't working right, or, after sitting a while, something changed, because my one-long-one-short pin solution was still a bear to deal with. I pulled out the short pin and left nothing in its place. It didn't change much, so my earlier supposition appears somewhat accurate:

1. Remove one rear pin:

Front: two shorts (152s), as designed
Rear: one long (159), one empty

Yup. Remove one of the long pins in the back, and it will be really close to replacing one of the long pins in the back with a short pin. No need to order any additional parts.

However…I was still having issues, so I figured out an additional technique: Get a long nylon zip tie and form a loop big enough to fit around the magazine and a finger or two. Put it over the magazine, and shove the whole thing into the magazine cavity. Voilà, you now have a cheap pull-tab that can assist with removing the mag.

View attachment 47090 View attachment 47092

Just got around to trying a 30 round mag in my stock and had the same problem extracting it. I greased the mag up which partially solved the problem until the grease wore off. Yours is a much better option. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.