Solution to loosing brass

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sniper7369, Jan 28, 2009.

1. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    I finally figured out how to keep all my .380 and .32 brass. :cool:
    Kind of an ugly prototype, but so far it works.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    That looks like it would work great. Better patent it before someone steals the idea. Great thinking.

3. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Indeed.  I have toyed with the idea but never pursued it.

They make one for the AR:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR033-7.html

[​IMG]

4. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    I'd like to get the one for the AR and see if I can make it work on my Sub2K. Looks like it might. It's just about impossible to shoot up here during the winter without loosing half your brass in the snow. :(

5. 1943

1943 New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I keep a 9x12 blue plastic tarp in the vehicle.  Find out where your first few shots are landing and adjust your stance accordingly.  When you are done just pickup your brass and you are good to go.  Nothing hanging on the pistol and you can use this anywhere. :)

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That is a great idea - and works with most weapons except the P3AT which can eject brass anywhere from 5-50 feet.  If we are going to be shooting a fair amount I take this one step further.  Put down a tarp and then put up a screen room tent 10x10 or 12x12 and shoot from within that.  Then MOST of the brass stays in the screen room.  If it's cold we even use walls and put a heater inside to help keep warm but I hate not being able to see 360 degrees around me when I have weapons out.  

-Scott

7. Tired_Elf

Tired_Elf New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I have had the same problems with dropping hot brass on the unsuspecting public. At a range, here in Tucson,they ask me what I am firing and then send me all the way to the right side of the range! It all started when I test fired one of those huge CZ52's with old Bulgie commie ammo. The empties would fly three bays down! I don't know why they were upset. After all, the huge bang,black smoke and bright flash should have warned them what was on the way. I guess when the little P3AT did almost the same, I got relegated to right field. ;D

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Here are some photo's of a brass catcher I built for my CAR-15. The mag bracket is 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. Drilled & tapped for a 1/4-20 Nylon clamp bolt.

Wire frame is 1/8" music wire.

Cage is black plastic hail screen attached with small cable ties.

It will fit any size AR15/M16 mag and is changed or dumped by simply loosening the clamp bolt a 1/2 turn or so and slipping it off.

Total cost = $0.00 because I already had all the parts in my Junque collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;D
    rcmodel

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That is some nice work RC!

-Scott

10. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Active Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
    rc, I hope that device didn't cause a "layoff" of your brasshopper :)

Jim

11. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
  12. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    WOw RC that contraption could pull double duty as a crawfish or crab trap.

Yet another cool thing to hang off an AR

13. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
  14. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Well, I bet those catchers play hell when you are trying to do a fast draw!! :D Normally I can find from 50 to 60 % of my .380 brass. Lately my range has been selling once fired .380 brass (mixed) 200 cases for $12. Not too bad at $.06 a case. I get a bag now and then to keep my reload stock up.

My problem is finding all my .40 S&W brass. Seens about 30% goes down range somewhere and I have to dig new ones out of the barrels. The range won't sell em cause the Glocks don't fully support the rounds and can bulge around the head....guess its a liability thing. I shoot a KKM match after market barrel and don't have that problem.

15. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    DAMN RC that is SLICK! :eek:
    I'd like to eventually build something like that, but al I could scrounge up was a coat hanger and the screen. ;D

This big catcher works great for everything except the P3AT and P32.
    [​IMG]

16. RDALMASO1

RDALMASO1 New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    I purchased one that fits around your hand, 3 fingers (not the trigger one) and can be used with all your guns. It misses one every once in a while, but over all has paid for itself. I reload and want to recover MY cases not anothers

17. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Where?  What's it called?  Got a link?  :)

Ed