Sold my LCP, bought another new P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ladman, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ladman

ladman New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Sold my P3AT about a year ago and bought a new LCP because I thought it was "purdier".  Never a problem with the P3AT, bunch of FTE's with the LCP.  Sold the LCP last week and bought a new P3AT last week.  Shot it today and it was flawless.  Don't know what I was thinking.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have not seen any advantage in the Little Copied Pistol over the original.  It does have a slicker looking grip, and I mean that literally, (more slippery).

Welcome back from the dark side.  :)

3. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    :) Great choice! Wouldn't mind having 2 of them myself.

4. pennhead

pennhead New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm right there where you were... I have a P32 which I really like, but I'd made up my mind to get a LCP to replace it.

But... just within the last week, I started thinking maybe I should consider a P3AT instead. No particular reason.

One of the things I like about the P32 is that it appears to be the tool that it is. Nothing pretty, just takes care of its assigned task. I somehow feel that I would look at the LCP differently, because it is kinda' pretty... might be to protective of its appearance and not be able to just carry it and forget about it like I can my P32.

The price difference is negligible. New LCP's for $279 at my local gun shop, and the P3AT is only $20-$30 less.

5. ladman

ladman New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, there are lots of LCP's that function perfectly.  I just didn't happen to get one and even sent it back to Ruger for repair.  Worked OK for a while, then started the FTE again.  I sold it with disclosure and lost money, but it was my EDC and just simply had to have something reliable.  I can remember saying to my wife when I sold my first P3AT that I don't know why I would sell an EDC that never failed.  Lesson learned.  

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome back!  :)

P3AT... the gun to carry when you can't/won't carry something larger and a great BUG when you can/will.

7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Wise move to get the P3AT. The LCP I tried was worst .380 I've had.

og

8. arizona-hermit

arizona-hermit New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    While I am personally a HUGE Ruger fan, I honestly believe the LCP was nothing more than a futile attempt to piggy-back on the success of our lil ATs. It is probably the worst Ruger ever produced (assuming it actually IS a Ruger) [told you I was a Ruger fan ;-)] and I am including the ill-fated Bersa 380 (oh wait, that is not a Ruger either).

9. eccoboot

eccoboot New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    I sold my p3at and bought an lcp, hated the long trigger on the lcp and the grip, sold the lcp and bought a new p3at, had the lcp 3wks, very stupid move dont know why i got the lcp, also bought a new pf9 at the same time which i love, i now pocket carry the pf9 while i break in the new p3at....but may use the pf9 daily as a bu to my glock 23..dont get me wrong t5he lcp was a good shooter accurate and no ftfs....bad ergonomics....ill not make this mystake again...

10. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I looked into the lcp a little bit before I got my p-3at. My good buddy is in law enforcement and has a kel tec .25 and recommended this brand to me so I decided to take the plung with the p-3at. So far I am happy with it.

11. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    WELL, I did the same thing. went from a KT to LCP and had FTE problems. Needless to say I 'm back to the P3AT. Very impressed with the KT

12. droshi

droshi New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    I'm surprised to hear so many of these stories. I guess you can hear any story you want to if given a large enough group of people. :) But seriously, the main draw to the LCP for me was the recessed mag release. In the end I'm still considering the P3AT more because of just about everything else! :)

Is the only reason to get the LCP the looks and the mag release?

13. DrBillC

DrBillC New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I shot a friend's LCP and really didn't like it. He had purchased it to replace his AT that was stolen and still regrets it.

14. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    I shot a friend's LCP and really didn't like it. He had purchased it to replace his AT that was stolen and still regrets it. [/quote]

I have a P-3AT and have just recently aquired an LCP Model 3704 and I find not that bad of a pistol. The LCP has about the same recoil as the P-3AT, I find that I am more accurate at 7 yards with the LCP.

15. ladman

ladman New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    I had no issues with the accuracy of the LCP, just the functionality.  Again, there are lots of happy LCP owners and I own two Rugers, but I just never should have sold something that never gave me any problems.  Especially for another gun that is basically the same thing.

16. michael t

michael t New Member Supporter

Nov 10, 2011
    I prefer to own original Not a copy . I always wanted a Seecamp .Shot one . No longer wanted a Seecamp , recoil and weight . P-32 beats it hands down and cheaper. NAA 380 looses to the P3AT same reason . I have a Kahr ccw9mm . Bought a PF-9 slightly smaller and for some reason I just trust it more. Kahr has never given me a reason. Just a feeling . I shoot both and carry the PF go figure.

17. jpshaw

jpshaw New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Is this a typo or did I miss this model completely?

18. FLT

FLT Member

You are just a few years late to the party.;) ( I would think he made a mistake but that was several years ago.)

19. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hey, it was fun to see my ~5 year old post to this thread. :)

20. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Glad I read everybody's remarks on the LCP because I was thinking about buying an LCP just because I thought it appeared to be better quality, however my P3AT has never, ever had any issues at all with about 500 rounds of various ammunition. What was I thinking!!