So the GF has officially commandeered my P3-AT...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nestromo, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Nestromo

Nestromo New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    ...as her daily carry.  I was planning on buying a replacement but I have been carrying my G26 IWB in the absence.  It hides well and packs more heat but is obviously more of a PITA than the P3.  I was considering buying an LCP.  Now I have no complaints with the P3's performance after break in... but I definately trust the Ruger name for reliability.

Aside from being a shameless copy is there any reason not to pick up an LCP?  Should I just stick to the G26 until the day comes when I find myself making the decision to leave it at home when I know that I should take it... and then buy another baby .380?

I only have 4 boxes of .380 practice ammo, so not a full break in cycle.  This stuff is pricy.  Any idea how supply vs demand are looking for the kurz in the next few months?

Jon

2. whutdidyousay

whutdidyousay New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Re: So the GF has officially commandeered my P3-AT

the LCP is a fine pistol, and it's almost pretty..... ::)
    My wife and I went thru the same question.... and she decided that she would prefer the P3 for 3 reasons.
    1. It comes in Green!....lol :p
    2. Although Ruger is a great company, they refuse to put thier warranty in writing. That leaves too many options open in her mind of what they can or will do (or not do) in a warranty situation. :-/
    3. Form waht we read it take forever to get a ruger repaired under warranty. It dosen't seem to take as long for a Kel-Tec. >:(

just our $.02

And as for availability.... it's getting better for the practice stuff. it's actually on the shelf at my local Bi-mart for the last few times I've been there.... but SD stuff still demands a premium and probably a wait to get it in the mail.

Kinda sucks in a way that the stuff is available now.... I couldn't wait for the .380 and kept seeing 9mm all over, so I sold my Bersa .380 to buy a PF-9 that I will pick up tomorrow...... Now I gotta save for 2 P3AT's.....lol one black, one green!

3. Nestromo

Nestromo New Member

Oct 1, 2009

You have seen .380 on shelves for regular prices? I do not hold it against dealers for pricing things to allow the supply and demand curves to meet because this is how a free market works. I am not however interested in buying it at this price. I have not seen .380 ammo at Overseas-Mart for almost a year.

Jon

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

You already have one P3AT and you are happy with it, if you can why not just buy another. That way the mags, parts and holsters could all be shared. Oh wait, I forgot many of the P3AT parts will work in the LCP..... ::)

I have also found some 380 on store shelves locally for a fair price, nothing you can count on finding yet but it's getting better.

I have several Glocks but I still carry my KT's more, it's just too easy.

CJ

5. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008

I like the feel of the Ruger better, but the P3AT has a proven track record of reliability. I also like the written warranty that Keltec provides. I don't trust the "reputation" of a company solely vs a written warranty with a track record of standing behind it.

One big thing for me is that the P3AT comes in chrome, which is what I have. I don't want a blued gun for everyday carry. If and when the LCP comes in a chrome version I might get interested, but I plan on sticking with my chrome P3AT.

6. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007

I'd get a another baby .380 just because like you said the day may come when you decide to leave the G26 at home when you know you should take it.  I'd go with the Kel-tec.  Save the Ruger purchase for when you want a fine inexpensive revolver.  Just my .02.

7. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007

I suggest you buy another P3AT, or two. Due to its nearly impeccable reliability, Ruger shamelessly copied the P3AT to create the LCP. But you knew that.

If you are concerned that the LCP is "prettier" than the P3AT, take a look at these - customized by our very own GoldenLoki. I have less invested in these than a new LCP.

[​IMG]

Here's another factory beauty...

[​IMG]

Oh, sounds like you have a great GF. Hang on to her. Good ones are hard to find.