So I traded my P32 for a P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Walnut_Red, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    First off I had no intention of getting rid of my P32. I've had it for several years with ZERO problems and it was an ideal choice when I didn't want to carry something larger.  I had a spare mag, left hand pocket clip and a nice pocket holster for it and was used to it. However I made the mistake of letting a friends wife shoot it one Saturday and she loved it so much she tasked him with finding one.  She shot the 3AT by the way but like the feel of the 32 better. So hubby strikes out and every time I see him he asks if I've seen any 32s.  Apparently the dealers around here quit ordering the 32's because most people want the 380s.

Last week I notice that a dealer about 20 miles from me has 3ATs on sale for $239, so next time I see my friend I says "If you still want a 32 I'll sell you mine with spare mag and a box of ammo for $250." He's a friend but not THAT good of a friend. He jumps on the deal and his wife is beaming. Fine. So this afternoon I'm getting ready to make the drive to buy the 3AT for $239 and swing by a little Mom and Pop gun shop that is only a few miles away. Lo and behold they have a very slightly used 3AT with box, papers, left handed belt clip, spare mag with finger extensions on both mags and one of those Houge slip grip adapter on it. One mag I don't think was ever loaded into the pistol as there was no wear marks at all.  Cash price was $245 out the door.

So now I need ammo and I swing by a big box store and they have RWS 380 for $17.88. I pick up several boxes because I don't reload for 380 yet and proceed to the checkout. The woman at the checkout looks at the ammo and say "Wait a second" and starts rummaging under the cash register.  She comes up with a 15% discount coupon on sporting goods!

So I get home and warn the wife I'll be shooting off of the back porch and proceed testing the pistol. For some reason halfway through the first mag it dropped out of the frame.  I didn't have any more trouble finishing up the box of ammo so I don't know what exactly happened. I like the slip grip but I'm not sure about the finger extensions. I pocket carry a lot and I'm not sure the extra bulk is worth it.  Other than that I'm happy with it.

Anyone have experience with the RWS ammo? Any ideas on where I could get factory floor plates?

Thanks,

2. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    If they are the curved extensions they could be putting pressure on the mag release causing it to drop, Or it could be you hitting the mag release with your thumb.

I have the +1 extension on my P3AT and have been sitting on it for months with no mag drops. Well over 200 rounds threw it.

Congrats on the trade. How different is the recoil?

3. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    There is a slight difference in recoil but nothing major. So far I've only fired ball ammo in the 3AT and I remember more difference between types of 32 ACP ammo than between the 32 ball and 380 ball. However for some reason the trigger pull is MUCH lighter on my P3AT than my P32 was. It doesn't look like it's been polish so I don't know why the difference. Your right, the extensions are the curved type and I could be putting pressure on. I also could be hitting the release with my hand, especially when shooting left handed. The jury is still out on extra bulk of the grip extension when I'm pocket carrying as well.

I e-mailed Kel-Tec explaining I had bought the pistol used and thought the finger extensions that came on the magazines might be a problem, asking if it was possible to just by the magazine bottoms rather than whole magazines. Kel-Tec e-mail back and said they were sending two regular mag bottoms free and to let them know if this didn't fix the problem. Mush more than I could have expected from Customer Service when I clearly stated this was NOT a Kel-Tec problem. In reading the various posts after trying the new mag bottoms I expect I may purchase one, 1-round extension for holster carry and probably an aftermarket aluminum mag release button.

The P32 was my primary CCW pistol for several years. At first I'd swap it out when I'd decide to carry something a little larger but then I realized the P32 was so small why bother. I'm ambidextrous so I just concentrated on only shooting the P32 left handed and always carried it on my left side. Anything else is carried on the right side. So this is the role the 3AT is filling, though untill I get more rounds through it something else is on the right.

4. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    If you want that extra finger space, I would strongly suggest the +1 over the pinky extension. I carry mine in my back pocket all day and it doesnt hinder me one bit. My nine rounder on the other hand is not do-able, lol. I'd try one if i was you.

5. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Congrats on the P3AT, Walnut. Since you bought it used, it is also possible that the mag catch is worn down? I'm suggesting this because when I first had my P3AT, I inserted magazines without pressing in the mag catch. Bad idea - metal magazine vs. plastic mag catch, the plastic mag catch looses. Over time, the catch wore down to the point that magazines would release during recoil. I now have a replacement plastic mag catch, and I make sure to press the catch in when inserting magazines. I have had no further issues, even when using the Kel-Tec +0 extensions.

6. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    There is always the possibility the mag release is worn but this pistol shows so little use I don't think that is the issue. I have think hands and at this point think the problem is something I'm doing. Hopefully the standard mag bottoms will arrive in time for me to try them out this weekend.

7. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    i removed my pinky ext. and my mag drop problems were cured. i have small hands so no real problem. never slam the mag. home i always depress mag release when inserting a new mag. keltec will send you a new mag release.

8. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Kel-Tec has a comment page (http://www.keltecweapons.com/contact/; I posted a comment about them making metal mag catches for the P3AT. The reply back was "That is a good idea. I’ll pass it on to the engineering department for consideration." If anyone is interested, you may want to do the same.

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Sorry, hate to sound negative but Kel-Tec knows that folks have been asking for metal catches for years. I feel that either a new employee responded to your comment or you just got blown off.

Bill K.

10. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I put the standard mag bottoms on the pistol and fired a most of a box of ammo with no problems, so I expect it was the way I was putting pressure on the pinky extension. As I mentioned in my first post the mag drop only seemed to happen the first time I shot the pistol, but it happened each session. I'd adjust how I held the pistol and the problem stopped. Since I don't want to have to think about my fingers if I actually have to draw this pistol in SD I'll stick with the standard mag bottoms.

The slip grip makes shooting easier but sticks to the sides of my pocket. a little. As I usually pocket carry I'll sage the rubber grip for part of my target practice session but otherwise carry without it.
    \

Probably the next step will be to experiment with front sight color. I've always said that if I was designing a SD pistol it would not have sights. Only a gold bead like a shotgun which shows up well in low light and provides sufficient pointing capability for SD ranges. Maybe I'll test my theory with this pistol.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The grip should not touch your front pocket sides on the draw! Right handed draw will have your back hand along side the outside pocket material and your thumb sliding along the inside material of the pocket. With a proper grip as you draw from your pocket there should be no way that a grip sleeve touches pocket material. A grip sleeve should in no way slow your draw; it may in fact help obtain a speedier draw. This is of course just from my own personal experience having drawn my P3AT many hundreds if not thousands of times. I don't carry back pocket but suspect the same is true.

All this having been said if you find that you're uncomfortable or concerned about carrying with a grip sleeve than you should not do so. You need to be as confident as you reasonably can be with your mode of carry.

Bill K.

12. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    BillK,

I appreciate the input especially when based on personal experience. I carry in my left front pocket with a belt clip by simply clipping the belt clip to the outside of my pocket. To draw I insert my thumb into my pocket along the frame and my trigger finger outside the pocket putting pressure on the bottom of the belt clip. With just slight pressure of thumb and trigger finger I can extract the pistol and closing my middle finger on the grip positions my trigger finger along the trigger guard (not in, along side) and my thumb in the correct position for firing. If I was using a pocket holster and placing my whole hand in my pocket I think you would be correct in the slip grip helping.

13. P32Jake

P32Jake Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Salt Lake Valley
    Walnut, my experience is similar to yours with the rubber grip cover. My compromise works very well for me. I put a thin strip of "skateboard" tape similar to stair tread grip tape on the back and front straps. On the front strap I have it go from the bottom front of the grip up and about a 1/2 an inch onto the bottom of the trigger guard. On the back strap it goes the whole length of the back strap. Now I have a P32, but I can tell you the difference in grip is significant. I use the "skateboard" tape because I have found it sticks better than the kind made for stair tread. I have it on my old P11 and four Glock's and the tape says on even during cleaning with chemicals.

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Wow, egg on my face! Sorry. You'd think at 66 years of age I'd have learned not to make assumptions. Doesn't pocket carry always mean with a pocket holster? :)

Bill K.