Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put several mags through the new PF9 this morning. Had exactly ONE malfunction, and it was simply the slide locking back prematurely - the next round wasn't nosed into the ramp or anything, just sitting there patiently. (Dunno, maybe I nudged the slide stop by accident during recoil?) Absolutely no FTF's or FTE's whatsoever. Was shooting Federal Champion 115gr FMJ's from Wally World as usual, everything went bang and ejected nicely.

As I expected, it does kick a little more than my P11. What's really wild, though, is that even after all those rounds (somewhere over 50 - I'll have to go back and check the video to see) and shooting it as-is without a Hogue grip or anything, my hand isn't sore AT ALL. I think this may be due to the more rounded shape of the grip VS the P11's more squared grip form, which bangs right into the bone of my thumb joint - the PF9's recoil gets directed more toward the fleshy web of my thumb. The trigger does feel smoother than my P11's, but it feels every bit as long and seems to feel almost as heavy when shooting. The paper targets tell me that I shoot it about as well as I shoot the P11, which is to say I'm pretty crappy even at 15 yards but enough that I can get 'em all within a somewhat reasonable grouping. I can shoot my SW9VE much better, but the trigger pull is about half as long, it recoils pretty softly, and it fits my hands like a glove, so that's probably most of it. And I do shoot it better than my little NAA Earl, which surprisingly shoots pretty poorly with .22 LR compared to how it shoots with .22 WMR, even at 15 yards.

I didn't put any JHP's through it because like a dummy, I forgot to bring along a box of the Winchester SXZ that I picked up the other week and I didn't want to run any of the PDX-1 through it that I did bring. Surprisingly, PDX-1 is the ONLY load my SW9VE doesn't like, as it kept getting FTF's. (It gobbles up SXZ, Critical Defense, and Gold Dots just fine, though.) Debating on whether I should go back to the range tomorrow to put some JHP's through it or if I should save it 'till next weekend...

I did get some video of it, though I'm not sure exactly how much because my memory card filled up quickly (I should've set it to QVGA instead of 720p.). I think I may have gotten the one malfunction on video. I'm almost certain my stupid shaky hands are quite obvious; getting the adrenaline going just from being excited about getting to shoot is bad enough, but morning coffee on top of that was just a recipe for virtual Parkinson's. :eek: Once I get the video all processed and stuff, I'll post it up on my channel.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Still gotta take it down, clean it, and inspect it to make sure nothing is amiss (barrel or slide peening, cracks, anything like that), but at first glance, nothing seems out of order.

So far, I are happy cat. :cool:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only carry my 1911 while hunting cause i'll lock the slide back with my trigger finger nuckle sometimes. replaced the spring and plunger with a colt set, made it a little better.

Have trouble holding the ambi catch down on my m&p

I still don't know how you right handed guys deal with not touching the slide catch alot more.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upon reviewing the video, a quick count shows that I've got somewhere around 90 rounds through the PF9 with 1 malfunction (the aforementioned premature slide lock, 2 rounds into the mag). So, that comes out to be, what, like a 2% failure rate during the 200-round break-in period? Not too bad. Hopefully that's the only malfunction it gets. We'll just have to see how it handles JHP's next.

Surprised that quite a few shots turned up some visible muzzle flash even in broad daylight (ditto for the SW9VE) - I might be able to snag a couple of nifty still frames from the video if I figure out how to work the editing software. I really wish my computer was a bit more beefy so it could handle editing 720p video a lot faster... :(

I did fire it single-handed with both my right and left hands without any jams, and I did deliberately try to somewhat limp-wrist it while holding it with both hands, also without any jams. The malfunction occurred when I was shooting normally and two-handed, oddly enough.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Sounds like you got a good one!!!

I did'nt count the failures on mine, most were caused by the mag dropping. And a load of power pistol i loaded up to rem umc speeds, i remembered latter i pulled 300 of them because my xdm had smoke stacked acouple.

Just before i swapped it off i was at the bottom of the 9mm can and pulled out of one the bags i had'nt pulled and uploaded. I shot all of them without a problem!!! Don't now if it was because it was hot [was really cold outside when i first fired them] or if the pistol was broke in.

Never ever had a rem umc fail!!!!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, lo and behold I did find one issue while cleaning it awhile ago. There seems to be some kind of peening of some sort going on at the lower edge of the feed ramp. Looks like the feed ramp is either hitting the front of the magazines or it's hitting something on the frame, as it looks like it's ramming up against something upon recoil. Had kind of a sharp/rough edge there on the top side ridges of the feed ramp's bevel, towards the very bottom of the ramp. I sanded it smooth again and I'm going to go at it with the Dremel to polish the ramp and chamber (never got around to doing it yet anyway) - going to do the same with the SW9VE's feed ramp, since it, too, has never really had the feed ramp fully polished.

Also, there's a slight horizontal ridge on the breech face, sort of a slightly upward-angled line that was machined there - not sure if it's supposed to be there or not, but it's above where the cartridge seats on the breech face, so it doesn't look like it will really affect the way it feeds/ejects at all.

No slide cracks, no peening of the barrel or slide on top, and no frame damage visible so far. I might've put on a bit too much oil previously, though, because it picked up a vile amount of carbon today all over the barrel. Oh well, didn't seem to affect the way it functioned. :)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Pics!!! Mine got a peened line across the breach face where it hits the barrel early on but it never really got any deaper.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah! Y'know, I'll bet that's probably what I'm seeing on mine. The top hood of the barrel DOES have a sort of angled horizontal line going on there, and it's at just the right height, so I'm positive that's what's causing that mark. Hopefully mine won't get any deeper, either.

I don't have any pics at this very second - was out for dinner with folks and then grocery shoppin' - but once I get the video edited/processed tonight on my crummy ol' beater computer here, I'll have that and some still shots to post up here.

And, of course, Wally World had absolutely NOTHING in 9mm JHP whatsoever (as usual), and the only FMJ's they had were WWB, which I have NO intentions of shooting in any of my guns. So, I'll be waiting until next weekend or the weekend after that to hit up the range again, unfortunately - I don't wanna shoot up all my on-hand ammo stock and have nothing left over in reserve for rainy days. Unless, of course, Bass Pro happens to have more SXZ or something else for cheap JHP's on hand this week...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished polishing things up all pretty-like with the Dremel on the PF9 and the SW9VE. Now them feed ramps is silky smooth, yo! :D

About 99% certain that the marks/peening I observed on the lower edge of the feed ramp were caused by the feed ramp slamming into the front of the magazines, as there are corresponding marks on the magazines. By mocking up the barrel and mag with the slide off and poking the assembly pin into the barrel, I can see where the barrel can recoil back far enough to make contact with the magazine. Not sure if this is going to lead to any issues in the future, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. I seem to recall reading about something similar to this happening with P3AT's, except it was more a matter of the feed ramp hitting the nose of the top round in the mag and causing "smiley" marks on the bullet (and a bit of bullet setback). Not sure if the barrel hitting the mag instead of the top round is better or worse, but ... we'll see in time, I suppose.

Also gave a little bit of Dremel love to the P11 while I was at it. I stripped the VHT finish off last weekend because I was planning on re-coating it after I'd gouged it in a couple of spots, then I polished it up and left it. Been leaving it stripped and polished, and now I'm starting to kinda like it a little more. Sure, it's higher-maintenance and I have to be extra careful about not letting the slightest bit of moisture get to it because it'll start to rust INSTANTLY, but it sure does look better. I still can't seem to sand out ALL of the pitted surface of the factory casting, nor all the assorted deep gouges, scratches, and whatnot, so a mirror-like finish is outta the question, but still ... it's shiny and plenty slick with a couple o' coats of wax on it. I like. :) Hopefully I never have to mess with the finish on my PF9 - I really like the satin-sheen hard chrome look as-is, so hopefully it never rusts. (My Remora Sweat Shield should help prevent that from ever becoming an issue.)

Okay, enough, enough ... I've gotta get this video edited together and posted up...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As promised, video footage of every single one of the first shots put through my PF9, including the one and only malfunction that I experienced. Took me all night to compile/edit/upload this darned thing, too. Ugh ... frickin' slow computer... :mad:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30hjGO_Ox2w[/ame]

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny, my hand felt perfectly fine all day yesterday, and then this morning while I was sweeping the kitchen, I noticed my right hand had a mild bruise around the web of my thumb joint. Oh well. Still not as bad as shooting my P11 without the Hogue Handall Jr. on it; when that thing would beat up my thumb joint, I would feel it IMMEDIATELY, and it would leave visible marks. (Now, it doesn't hurt me quite so much to shoot, but I still don't like putting more than a couple of mags through it at a time.)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of still shots from the vid showing the muzzle flash and recoil:

If I had filmed it at 60fps instead of 30fps in 720p, I could have probably gotten a better image of the muzzle flash, but filming at 60fps chews up memory FAST and is a royal pain for me to process on my slow ol' computer.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's wild because you almost don't even feel it happening a lot of the time, and I practically had a death grip on the thing, but going frame-by-frame through the video revealed that it still kept hopping up out of my left hand on every other shot. I think having either the pinky extension on there or a +1 mag base extension might cut that down a lot. I did install the factory pinky extension on one of my mags today, not so much for recoil control but just because it makes it easier for me to extract the PF9 from the holster when I carry IWB. If I'm going to pocket-carry it, then I'll just do like I've been doing with my P11 and just pop out that mag and poke in the other one with the flush-fit base. I still don't like how it bunches my fingers all together, but I'll see the next time I'm out shooting if it helps tame the muzzle flip a little more.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
It is a different critter!!! Almost forgot how smooth shooting the 9mm could be untill i took my xdm out the other day, had'nt shot it in almost two years.

Yeah i'm gut hooked on these little 9s, haven't been wanting a little 40 for awhile now!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I actually like shooting my PF-9, and I don't feel the recoil is all that bad.

Until I put a mag full of my +p carry ammo through it...

I can't use the standard mag extension because the front of it lands about in the middle of my pinkie. The +1 extension, however, made the PF-9 feel like a whole new gun to me.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's how the factory pinky extension fits my hand, too. I'll just live with it for the time being, though, until I get around to ordering a +1 mag base. I honestly don't think I'm even going to mess with putting on a slip-on grip because even after putting about 90 rounds through it yesterday, there's just a minimal amount of soreness left today and it wasn't terribly unpleasant to shoot, either. I mean, yeah, the little guy kicks and jumps, but it doesn't bite, so I can live with it as-is. Heck, I didn't even experience any of the pinching of the trigger finger that some folks report with this pistol, and that was before I went at the whole grip frame with some sandpaper again today to take off some more rough edges.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a range trip next weekend is out of the question. Granny B passed away in her sleep this morning (95 years old), so I'll be having to drive halfway across the country and back for the funeral, in addition to helping out Pops since he's starting chemo tomorrow morning (Stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, second time around with it). Gonna be plenty busy for awhile. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts