Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching through the post and haven't found out. Is there a snap cap out there that will cycle through my p11. I've never used any before so I don't know much about how they work.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Yeah...some member years ago showed us how to do that. I made a fast video of it. I don't use snap caps anymore.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Is that a trick you use? I can see where it would possible work.
It does work, and I use it on my P3ATs, P-32s, and PF-9s. The trick is to get a piece of tubing or solid rubber that just fits snugly in the notch in front of the hammer, and won't fall out easily. It should be just long enough (it can stick into the receiver a 1/2" or so w/o interference issues) to keep the hammer from going far enough forward to release the action bar. This eliminates the need to retract the slide for trigger reset. You can pull the trigger in DA mode all day. Works great.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Since the P11 is a true DAO you can pull the trigger as much as you want without the rubber trick needed for the partially cocked guns. Also since the hammer rests on the slide of the P11 until the trigger is pulled the rubber trick will shorten the trigger pull. I usually just make my own snap caps but I would think any commercially available one would work fine in a P11.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the P11 is a true DAO you can pull the trigger as much as you want without the rubber trick needed for the partially cocked guns. Also since the hammer rests on the slide of the P11 until the trigger is pulled the rubber trick will shorten the trigger pull. I usually just make my own snap caps but I would think any commercially available one would work fine in a P11.
Wouldn't that be considered as dry firing which is bad for the firing pin.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Wouldn't that be considered as dry firing which is bad for the firing pin.
No. The SnapCap has a special "primer" which absorbs the firing pin impact. On many it is some sort of hard rubber. On some it is a spring-loaded plunger (A-Zoom, I think).

Anyway, you can safely use SnapCaps in lieu of dry firing.

Some "Dummy Ammunition" is capable of being used as SnapCaps, some is not. Read the box carefully.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I realize that you are not talking about .22LR here, but when you need snap caps for this caliber, then these drywall anchors beat any commercially produced snapcap. Each one lasts for a bunch of dry fires. The don't feed from a magazine (you need real "action proving rounds" or "dummy rounds" for that), but they are excellent snap caps - inserted into the chamber manually.

Available at Home Depot for a few dollars:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I like real snap caps because I can put a little piece of tape on the primer because I also like to check fp function and indentation.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like real snap caps because I can put a little piece of tape on the primer because I also like to check fp function and indentation.
A quick & easy firing pin check, for pistol's over .22 caliber: point pistol to ceiling, and drop a pencil (eraser end at firing pin) down the barrel. A good pin strike will toss the pencil right out of the barrel. Handy for checking a used gun at pawn shop, etc.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
A quick & easy firing pin check, for pistol's over .22 caliber: point pistol to ceiling, and drop a pencil (eraser end at firing pin) down the barrel. A good pin strike will toss the pencil right out of the barrel. Handy for checking a used gun at pawn shop, etc.
I do that also but sometimes I just need to see that indentation. LOL.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Brand new unsharpened pencil. Non eraser end down. Now you can see your indentation lol. Alternatively snag a few extra sets of chopsticks next time you go out for Chinese food as those work equally well. I can't neither confirm or deny any allegations of those flying across my work room though lol.

I only use A Zoom brand snap caps for all my centerfire needs. They tend to be more on the expensive side but worth every penny IMO especially after you've disassembled any of your firearms and need to do a proper function check after reassembly. For the rimfires I use the Traditions branded ones from Academy. They are super cheap which is good because the plastic rims eventually get chewed up and need replacement. They don't always hand cycle smoothly through the semi autos so sometimes you have to spoon feed them directly into the chamber like with the revolvers. Still better than just letting the firing pin hit bare metal if you need to function check stuff.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Yeah, I did the same with wooden dowels but after a few tests had to file down the dowel to have clean slate to see the indents again. A piece of tape is simple enough for me. LOL.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Ditto here. A-Zoom snap caps are the only ones I use, mostly for function-testing the actions on guns. They're mostly aluminum with, I think, some kinda lead weight inside to simulate the feel/weight of a "real" cartridge, and they have a clear silicone rubber "primer" that will withstand a bajillion primer strikes. The only downside to them is that, being soft aluminum, the rim of the cartridge does tend to get chewed up pretty easily from repeated ejections. Might be better if they made them out of brass, but then they wouldn't be as easily distinguishable at a glance from regular ammo and that can lead to all kinds of bad things; being red anodized aluminum, they're a bit easier to recognize for what they are so you don't mistakenly poke the wrong thing in your magazine/chamber.

For .22 LR, I've always just used those cheap plastic "snap cap" thingies that are actual snap caps. The aluminum A-Zoom ones are a total waste of money there because, again, the rim gets chewed up in a hurry, and .22 LR is, of course, a rimfire cartridge. These orange things also don't last long, either, and the rim section will sometimes snap off after a dozen or so repeated chamberings/strikes/ejections:

Once my current stock of these little orange boogers gets used up, though, I'll probably switch to the aforementioned "Home Depot snap caps" for cost savings. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Snap Caps on sale

... A-Zoom snap caps are the only ones I use, mostly for function-testing the actions on guns. They're mostly aluminum with, I think, some kinda lead weight inside to simulate the feel/weight of a "real" cartridge, and they have a clear silicone rubber "primer" that will withstand a bajillion primer strikes... snap caps" for cost savings. :)
Yep, they're great and on sale @ MidwayUSA now :cool:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...y-round-snap-cap-9mm-luger-aluminum-pack-of-5

AoG

·
Registered
38 Posts
:eek:

I'm gonna have to go buy some pencils now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.